17 killed in shooting at high school in Parkland, Florida, authorities say

56 minutes ago, Belo said:

and armed teachers wont be there to guard the school either. But to culver's point, they're still a body with a gun. My point still being, the shooter knew he was there and proceeded with his plan anyhow... so how much of a deterrent would armed teachers really be to a psychopath? 

not so much as a deterrent, but more to help stop it earlier and cut down on lives lost. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, jjb4900 said:

I don't think may people understand what a School Resource Officer does...sure the guy screwed up, but he wasn't there to "guard the school".

That's an important point. He was there primarily to protect the 'school system' and it's bureaucracy. Let me know if I'm mis-characterizing your statement.

The loser kid probably knew exactly where that 'officer' would be and planned his assault accordingly. The Resource Officer then either showed his cowardice or his allegiance to 'the system', depending on how you look at it. The agreement between the Broward Sheriff's office and the school board was that no arrests were allowed in the school or on school grounds. I find it likely that this entire conflict was about the mandate that no action be taken on school grounds. That's pathetic. The nearby Coral Springs cops had no problem charging into that building, although it was too late by then, because they had no such non-action agreement with the school system. Again, pathetic. Four minutes of inaction while listening to gunfire in a building full of kids?

• Like 1

I find one thing about all of the latest crazy shootings very interesting.  When the Columbine shooting occurred, there was video of the perps as they did it.  And that was many years ago.  How is it, in this day of video coverage of everything that happens anywhere, we see no video of Parkland, or Vegas, or Sandy Hook?

I find this to be very strange. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Rattler said:

I find one thing about all of the latest crazy shootings very interesting.  When the Columbine shooting occurred, there was video of the perps as they did it.  And that was many years ago.  How is it, in this day of video coverage of everything that happens anywhere, we see no video of Parkland, or Vegas, or Sandy Hook?

Anyway with all the technology we have these days I find it rediclus that they can not put in  security system in place to keep nuts jobs with weapons  out of the school . Or at least stop him from doing mass killings. 

19 hours ago, Rattler said:

there is a lot of video of vegas. Don't you recall papsmears conspiracy's? 

10 hours ago, Elmo said:

it's sad and true. Even adults can be guilty of browsing social media and seeing how "happy" people are and discounting their own lifestyle. Very similar to the guy with the nicer fancier car. What is lost in social media, is that despite some white trash out there, nobody shares all the shitty things going on in their life. So teens assume that it's just their life that sucks and everyone else is super happy.

i really worry about my kids when they grow. My hope is that their exposure to the outdoors and what really is important in life will drive the right behavior and thinking. 

16 hours ago, Storm914 said:

Anyway with all the technology we have these days I find it rediclus that they can not put in  security system in place to keep nuts jobs with weapons  out of the school . Or at least stop him from doing mass killings. 

Here is something to think about. It is possible to have schools that would keep active shooters from killing mass amounts of people but it all comes at a price. Below is a link of a school in Indiana that is marked as the safest school in america.

https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/video/inside-the-safest-school-in-america-1166029891710 

1 hour ago, Belo said:

it's sad and true. Even adults can be guilty of browsing social media and seeing how "happy" people are and discounting their own lifestyle. Very similar to the guy with the nicer fancier car. What is lost in social media, is that despite some white trash out there, nobody shares all the shitty things going on in their life. So teens assume that it's just their life that sucks and everyone else is super happy.

i really worry about my kids when they grow. My hope is that their exposure to the outdoors and what really is important in life will drive the right behavior and thinking. 

Smartphones may have been the straw the broke the camels back but the first breakdown occurred when women entered the workforce leaving children to fend for themselves.  In no way am I against women in the workforce but parents as a whole need to be more involved in their children's lives.  I believe social media can be helpful so as long as it isn't abused.  Social media is suppose to be used to enhance the human interactions and not replace it.  With a lack of parental involvement, sadly, it is instead replacing human interactions.  I think parents need to do more to help teach their children how to deal with and navigate social situations instead of just throwing them to the wolves.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Elmo said:

Smartphones may have been the straw the broke the camels back but the first breakdown occurred when women entered the workforce leaving children to fend for themselves.  In no way am I against women in the workforce but parents as a whole need to be more involved in their children's lives.  I believe social media can be helpful so as long as it isn't abused.  Social media is suppose to be used to enhance the human interactions and not replace it.  With a lack of parental involvement, sadly, it is instead replacing human interactions.  I think parents need to do more to help teach their children how to deal with and navigate social situations instead of just throwing them to the wolves.

I would agree with this.  People, especially women these days need to realize that when both parents work and leave others (nannies, day care, school, etc.) to do what a parent should be doing it isn't the same as the parent doing it.   You can't have everything in life.  Women want careers and kids, but the reality is that it's very difficult to have both.  Something has to give, and unfortunately many times it's the kids who lose out.

2 hours ago, steve863 said:

I would agree with this.  People, especially women these days need to realize that when both parents work and leave others (nannies, day care, school, etc.) to do what a parent should be doing it isn't the same as the parent doing it.   You can't have everything in life.  Women want careers and kids, but the reality is that it's very difficult to have both.  Something has to give, and unfortunately many times it's the kids who lose out.

maybe more about people in general realizing that they have to go without things in order to properly raise a family...maybe do without a few things for a few years until that part of life is over....certainly not the woman's fault.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jjb4900 said:

maybe more about people in general realizing that they have to go without things in order to properly raise a family...maybe do without a few things for a few years until that part of life is over....certainly not the woman's fault.

bingo. many work to buy "stuff" that they don't need. Because society tells us that we do.

15 hours ago, jjb4900 said:

I definitely agree that people could go without a lot of material things and still be perfectly content.  Not blaming all women, but in general women are way better nurturers of children than men will ever be, so if there is one parent to stay home to raise the kids I think women are better qualified.  Many women don't want to hear any such notion that they should just stay home and raise the kids, so in those cases I definitely would blame the woman.  Especially if the husband is fine giving up the material things to raise the family on one salary while allowing the wife to stay home and raise the kids.  I think if a poll was taken, these days you'd have more men content with the wife staying home to raise the kids than you would women.  A lot of women want it all, and that is not always possible.  In fact it rarely is. 

As a teacher we probably see some kids more than their parents that being said as a teacher we can't instill our values onto students without backlash from parents or community. I have seen several instances where colleagues were reprimanded for calling a kid out on behavior that was condoned at home. Kind of sad really. Kids acting like total jerks because mom and/or dad bad mouths the teacher at home because their little angel is never wrong.ExplainTheseGrades545440_101510834042434

Edited by chas0218
  • Like 5