Wine and Booze - aka Saving the Beer thread

Jdubs

Well, I better post then.... along with my brother, brother in law, his Dad, and my friend, I make about 90 gallons of red wine a year. Each of these barrels hold 60 gallons, the other 30 gallons are in glass jars. We rotate the wine once during the year (racking) so it is all on oak at some point. We buy the grapes from California, this year was Zinfandel, the year before Cab Sav. We will bottle up the wine after it has been in the barrel for 2 years. This is a family tradition for us. We use the grape press that belonged to our Grandfather, but most of the other equipment is newer. I'll post a pic of a glass poured after I go through my latest beer purchases.
a4df58a7c88267bb02af12d270975a5e.jpg806117110ba510cac56e939f5fe7d2fd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 12

4 minutes ago, Otto said:

Well, I better post then.... along with my brother, brother in law, his Dad, and my friend, I make about 90 gallons of red wine a year. Each of these barrels hold 60 gallons, the other 30 gallons are in glass jars. We rotate the wine once during the year (racking) so it is all on oak at some point. We buy the grapes from California, this year was Zinfandel, the year before Cab Sav. We will bottle up the wine after it has been in the barrel for 2 years. This is a family tradition for us. We use the grape press that belonged to our Grandfather, but most of the other equipment is newer. I'll post a pic of a glass poured after I go through my latest beer purchases.

Homemade, awesome!  How did you get into that?

My Gradfather made it for years - he emigrated here from Sicily.  Almost every Italian basement is also a wine basement. (And second kitchen too).  My Father (also from Sicily) made wine every year too,  although he never drank any alcohol, save for some Creme D’Mint on vanilla ice cream one a year.  My brothers and I just picked up the tradition and not to brag, but I think we make some pretty good wine.  A few years ago, we entered one batch in the NYS Fair and got a Bronze Medal.  I go to a “Homemade Wine Dinner” a couple of times a year and have tasted a lot of other homemade stuff.  There is some really good wine being made in small batches.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I like cheap reds like 19 Crimes and Apothec, blends and cabs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

We just got hooked on 19 crimes. Aged in rum barrels is solid Download the AP. Bottle will talk to you with phone camera on it like something from Harry Potter. Weird $hit. There’s 19 crimes on corks too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jdubs said:

Otto suggested we might need a wine thread so here it goes.  Post up your non-beer booze!  Wine, liquor, backwoods shine or whatever.

I'll kick it off with my bottle of vino from tonight's awesome steak dinner.  Good stuff.

20180215_193836.jpg

I have not had this one, How was it?  

Something The wine guy on shark tank said to a wine company stuck with me. He told him if your retail is over $9.99 you may as well go to $99, there's very little wine sold in between. That's why I buy $10 wine

Nah. I think the turning point is a little higher. I’m no expert but can definitely taste the difference in say a $30 bottle of wine that is much smoother than a $9 bottle. But past that it’s probably very hard for average people to taste the difference. A small wine fridge makes a huge difference too. A red at 58 degrees vs 70 degrees is like night and day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

a4df58a7c88267bb02af12d270975a5e.jpg&key=3684e5406302dd351132b874710a9030ee2309fa6e546340e15fdbe30a7e5742806117110ba510cac56e939f5fe7d2fd.jpg&key=c905db186d0cd156cad8d3ab2ce2e31df2af27f2f791970cfa67b95e21c7c823

Soooo ummmmmm like you win man. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Otto said:

Otto.... my family is sicilian and our last name is Oddo.  Are we related? Lol... Love the set up.. Salud

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Otto said:

Otto is my forum nickname, named after my first Brittany.  But if your family is Sicilian that at the very least we are Pisano.  My family is from Lingulaglossa near Catania, where is yours from?  

My family is from Palermo.. A couple generations ago now as I'm 30 yrs old and my grandparents are 93 and 87. I've always said I would do my own wine, I think your tradition there has inspired me!!

• Like 2

Otto nice set up. I used to work off 30 to 40 gallons a year not on the scale you do. I was nurtured and taught by a few Italians who set me straight. A couple of us just starting out we're known as the turpintine brothers good natured ribbing. I purchased Concord and DeChaunac  Juice and skins from Fulkersons. Made wine for years we moved and the wine making was left behind. How I miss a home made wine.

JRod and SMokeinTN,  you can get really good wine kits online and make 6 gallons in a few weeks right in your basement.   You may have one right in your town.  Any varietal in the world is available, plus several “mixes”.  My wife and I make 6 gallons of Peach Apricot Chardonnay in April, and it is ready for the summer season. (Works out to about 30 bottles)  She likes it cold from the fridge and it makes a great white sangria too.  It is not as much work or equipment needs as making it from grapes, but it comes out really good too.   Just follow the directions exactly. 

I hope we didn’t derail this thread from Wine, we may need to start another one to save it! 

• Like 2