Made it home

chiefbkt

Nice though I am surprised at how muscles are exaggerated by the form. Seems to be trend trying to show bucks as ripped.. I've never seen that in the wild in fall with their  winter coats . At least in 30 plus years hunting .. the work on. It looks to be above average I happy you like it :)

I see that trend, too.

That said, I have seen a few bucks with the features taxidermists are over-incorporating. Maybe four or five that I can recall over all of my years.

Of all the bucks I've seen them on from the stand it's almost always been early bow season with the thinner coat or the ~10 days between pre-rut ending and aggressive mature buck posturing during the border of seeking and chasing. This brings in the muscular and swollen neck scenario where the definition is easier to see and max body weight before they burn calories more.

Saw one like that this year, one in 2015, and the others are spaced out over the prior 25 seasons. I don't any one of those five deer came in under 130" either (estimate or ground check) or less than five years old.

My shoulder mounts are 50-50 October and November/Dec. You can practically ID which ones are October just by the cape variations.

• Like 1

looks like a nice mount to me. 

my cousin got a 160+" deer that i posted a while back in here. he got it back and it had some wicked swelling to the neck that looked weird honestly. it was a brute of a buck that i aged the jawbone at 5.5 yrs old though. seems like more often they look filled in everywhere and almost husky than bulging with lots of definition.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 2/19/2018 at 11:33 AM, phade said:

I see that trend, too.

That said, I have seen a few bucks with the features taxidermists are over-incorporating. Maybe four or five that I can recall over all of my years.

Of all the bucks I've seen them on from the stand it's almost always been early bow season with the thinner coat or the ~10 days between pre-rut ending and aggressive mature buck posturing during the border of seeking and chasing. This brings in the muscular and swollen neck scenario where the definition is easier to see and max body weight before they burn calories more.

Saw one like that this year, one in 2015, and the others are spaced out over the prior 25 seasons. I don't any one of those five deer came in under 130" either (estimate or ground check) or less than five years old.

My shoulder mounts are 50-50 October and November/Dec. You can practically ID which ones are October just by the cape variations.

October capes with short-medium length hair by far make the nicest looking mounts. As November progresses the capes get more and more beat up from fighting and often tick damage in the brisket area. Moral of the story...shoot your wallhanger early in season if possible!

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, WNY Bowhunter said:

October capes with short-medium length hair by far make the nicest looking mounts. As November progresses the capes get more and more beat up from fighting and often tick damage in the brisket area. Moral of the story...shoot your wallhanger early in season if possible!

My first buck was shot on 10/15 (the old opener) and his coat is reddish and barred like a pheasant tail on the back of the neck, its beautiful

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

Love the 220...... Absolute tack driver.

Would love to see the video of you can find it.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Yes, me too. Been thinking about a GoPro for filming hunts. But want to see how it looks out a little ways, like 40 to 50 yards?