Cell phone carriers

turkeyfeathers

Been with AT&T since 1991 They were something and then Cingular to finally AT$T.  3 phones. Unlimited texts and calling plus 10 GB’s of data we never go over. $185 a month. Up for upgrades and looking at IPhone 8’s. Only 2 as wife content with her 5S. So everyone playing the BOGO as new customer. Went to AT&T and won’t do anything for a longtime customer. Nor match Targets $100 gift card per purchase essentially covering cost of cases. Called AT&T and they won’t do squat. Tried playing hardball and saying I’ll jump ship. Sorta like belonging to a Golf country club and new member gets free carts for the year and long term member gets boned. May just jump ship which looks like obvious answer as can take numbers with us. Who’s your carrier and what kind of coverage do you get ? I think dropped calls are a thing of the past with coverage expanded. What price you paying ? SIL gets free Canada service too with Sprint I believe. We pay $10/ day per phone for calls / texts and no data.  If I can save $700 on a phone I’m going to. Thanks in advance. 

Ive known multiple people that switched to Sprint and T Mobile and immediately regretted it and went right back to Verizon. I dont really know anyone on AT&T. I was on Cricket for a while, but the coverage was sketchy at times. Verizon is a pain in the ass to deal with at times, but their quality of service is undeniable.

• Like 2

I am not a phone person, I still use phones the old fashioned way, for talking on only.  Any internet web surfing email stuff gets done on my computer or tablet. I have two tracfones, one is just a basic free phone and the other is a half assed smart phone, I use the basic phone 99.9% of the time. $200.00 a year total for both phones and have never run out of minutes in the dozen or so years using these phones. I actually have plenty of roll over minutes carrying over each time I renew once a year. My wife is the opposite, she does her own thing and has a fancy smart phone, she is constantly using it and it seems to be never out out of her sight, and she also pays through the nose. Her dimes she can spend them the way she likes, I like spending mine on hunting stuff.

Al

• Like 2

1 hour ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Been with AT&T since 1991 They were something and then Cingular to finally AT$T.  3 phones. Unlimited texts and calling plus 10 GB’s of data we never go over. $185 a month. Up for upgrades and looking at IPhone 8’s. Only 2 as wife content with her 5S. So everyone playing the BOGO as new customer. Went to AT&T and won’t do anything for a longtime customer. Nor match Targets $100 gift card per purchase essentially covering cost of cases. Called AT&T and they won’t do squat. Tried playing hardball and saying I’ll jump ship. Sorta like belonging to a Golf country club and new member gets free carts for the year and long term member gets boned. May just jump ship which looks like obvious answer as can take numbers with us. Who’s your carrier and what kind of coverage do you get ? I think dropped calls are a thing of the past with coverage expanded. What price you paying ? SIL gets free Canada service too with Sprint I believe. We pay $10/ day per phone for calls / texts and no data.  If I can save $700 on a phone I’m going to. Thanks in advance. 

I won't mention companies but I ran contract stores for a couple years and have owned pre paid stores for 5 years. The whole business is about acquiring new customers. From the sales person's compensation and even more so to the store owners compensation. I could explain it all but really every company is the same. You always get the best deal and plan when you switch your current phone number to a new provider. I have fought this for years but I'm wasting my time. 

When my old phone crapped out 6 or 7 years ago I went to buy another. The young lady asked me what features I was looking for and I told her that I would like to make and receive phone calls and have a "phone-book" for numbers that I regularly call. After she paused for more info from me, I also told her that I would like a charging cord and that I would accept a new service contract if the phone was free. I actually had to explain the simplicity of this to her. ;-}

$50 a month from AT&T, BTW. They give me good reception where I am, and I see no need to change.

after almost 17 years with verizon I switched to straightalk and still kept verizon as the carrier, kept my old phone and phone number all for $50 a month. unlimited text, calls and enough data to never go over.  my coverage is the same as it was before.

have had no issues in almost a year, and have saved almost $50 a month to boot.

between the cell companies, cable and satellite companies its a joke what they charge anymore.

5 hours ago, sodfather said:

Verizon for me always have been for a long time. Like Moog said they treat new customers better than existing 

My daughter & I both gripped  to them about this & they knocked $10 a month off each bill.  I liked the Sprint commercial on the super bowl & was thinking of looking at them , they said they were only 1% less than Verizon as far as reception goes across the country & cheaper. I think they might use the same towers.

Started with Verizon back in 04. They jerked me around over something that I can’t even remember now but we switched to sprint a couple years ago for about 29 days before we brought the phones back and cancelled before the 30 day money back clause was up. Sprint was absolutely terrible compared to Verizon. Service was only good in town, once you got a mile or so outside of town, service dropped to one bar or none. I couldn’t even get service in my office in the Mill I work at. Couldn’t put up with that so back to Verizon we went.
I think AT&T supposedly has pretty good service around my area but I don’t think I’ll be switching again anytime soon.
Verizon treats old time customers like crap, but their service coverage is by far the best across the country.

We use our iPhones like crazy and upgrade to new ones every 2 years. Which is why I could never get into a prepaid service. Ya the monthly bill might be cheaper but I’m not dropping $800-1000 per Phone up front every 2 years for a new Phone. Kinda defeats the purpose in saving $40 a month on the bill. Last time we upgraded I got the iPhone 7 for free just for trading in my iPhone 6. Kinda hard to beat that

• Like 1

Believe there is some shared tower usage by most carriers...? Isn't your specific phone linked to a tower (network) system, but can be change only via SIMM chip within the phone??? IDK..!

I'm not a big fan of being on social media, connected to the web, playing online games, etc with my cell phone - so my data/air time usage is minimal. Which makes my Samsung S5, linked to Verizon towers and Tracfone's ~$125/YR smart phone pay-as-you-go plan ideal for me. Can add on minutes or data as you need if necessary and unused time/data is carried over. Maybe cheapest, but not for everyone!!

Had an employer offer to give me a cell phone, once. No thanks, I'll just answer my phone when I want w/o any obligations.