Just Starting Out

Otto

3 hours ago, Moho81 said:

Hey speaking of that what do we need for the 3D shoot? Min-Max number of arrows, range finder... I dont know what else but I've never done a shoot before 

everyone has different stuff they like to bring but many bring the same. resurfaced targets can make an arrow pull hard, same if you're shooting a setup that really drives them into the foam. someone should have an arrow puller in your group. also some like to bring arrow lube to make it easier to remove them. for arrows many i know bring around half dozen. depends on how far and how good of a shot you are but other shooters sometimes hit your arrows. if you miss or hit something that pulled out within the foam your field point might get deformed.  i bring a few extra nocks and points for those reasons but never use them.  most bring some kind of hip quiver to keep stuff in. mine is a nicer one and hypothetically could hold an open beer in the big center pocket.  otherwise a decent pair of binoculars is nice to see where the scoring rings are.  for 3D, bullseyes are on the target face not like real life where you're shooting with path of penetration in mind. i also have a small towel attached to my quiver for drying off light precipitation, my sweat, etc.

2 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Min arrows is one, there is no max thats up the the shooter lol. Bring binoculars. Im sure you can have your rangefinder its no big deal, youre shooting for fun. Do you shoot with your quiver on? if not a hip quiver is helpful even if you just rig something up. Its just a fun shoot

• Like 3

Pocket Quiver? Is that what y’all call your back pocket because that’s what I use in the yard while I’m shooting.

mlammerhirt. I may take you up on that offer because I don’t have one and never shoot with the quiver on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I’m in Franklinville right now for certification class to start at 9. Listening to a grouse drumming up on the hill.  It’s about time I took this class ! 

Heard someone aced their test today.... So did you get to go out for a special dinner :) 

• Like 1

I’m in Franklinville right now for certification class to start at 9. Listening to a grouse drumming up on the hill.  It’s about time I took this class ! 

Did they teach you how Treestands = cheating and/or accidents?

• Like 2

My term as a sub on the Wildwood Thursday Night Archery League ended last night with the Annual Hi-Low Tournament. I say as a sub because they asked me if I was coming back next season. Yes, I am.

I shot a raw score 271, which was my highest score this season.
They also hosted a wild game dinner, which was absolutely terrific. Best dish for me was the Pheasant Au Vin, followed closely by the Crappie Gumbo and the Chargrilled Venison Roast.
Next week is the catered Prime Rib Banquet. These guys know how to put on a league!!!

Special thanks to Steve, Don and Ray for taking on a complete novice (and even though I shoot compound) and the owners of Wildwood Keith and Bob for their advice and help along the way. Looking forward to some 3D shoots this summer and most importantly carrying this bow into the woods for the first time.

This week Monday and Wednesday is the Bowhunter Safety Class - hope I can ace the test like TF did!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Did anyone make it to Hawkeye for their Alaskan Shoot? I couldn't go on Saturday and Sunday they canceled because of the freezing rain. default_sad.png

A few of us planned to go Sunday but like you said they canceled it so we never made it there. Given the weather I may not have gone anyways.

• 4 weeks later...

Shot outdoors on 3D targets for the first time. Pretty happy with groupings and importantly I did not lose an arrow.

No deer target, so the pig stood in.

b7d85f42137a65bb334e10b2b8e64304.jpg

Shot at 30 yards a few times too.

3d3fee14fcb0cfafc36b9597a3b8d024.jpg

I shoot trap at Camillus on Tuesdays and they have a nice outdoor range....So after gun, its arrows.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks!

I still have a ton of work to do before 10/1.  I have shot quite a bit the past couple of months.  I want to keep at it every week.  I did shoot from an elevated platform tonight and that was fun.   I want to try shooting from a sitting position too, as if i was in a blind.  Also need to shoot at unknown distances to figure out which pin to use.  LOTS TO DO!

Edited by Otto
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Otto said:

Also need to shoot at unknown distances to figure out which pin to use.  LOTS TO DO!

That a good idea, what we used to do. One guy in a stand with a pulley,rope and pvc pipe capped on bottom. Guy in stand would shoot at a deer target, after each shot, guy in ground would move target to different distance and change angles, after a few shots, he put arrows in tube and you pulled it up and you shot again.

Also when I worked on a shipping dock, I would guess and walk off distances all day long, it will become hard to shoot at unknown distances in ones yard  as soon you’ll know the distance from every weed .

Good luck !

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Otto said:

Thanks!

I still have a ton of work to do before 10/1.  I have shot quite a bit the past couple of months.  I want to keep at it every week.  I did shoot from an elevated platform tonight and that was fun.   I want to try shooting from a sitting position too, as if i was in a blind.  Also need to shoot at unknown distances to figure out which pin to use.  LOTS TO DO!

Otto, I find your enthusiasm and dedication so refreshing!!!  You have come a long way my friend! I'd be proud to bow hunt with you! 

Wishing you all the best, for an exciting and successful bow hunting season this year!

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Otto said:

Thanks!

dunno if you ve got one yet but a rangefinder is a bowman's best friend.  They sure are handy.  I tend to use mine to range a couple of spots from the stand to get a base of distance.  But also like to practice with a target and guess the range and see how close i was.  Helps you get used to judging even if you dont get to range the deer itself.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

That a good idea, what we used to do. One guy in a stand with a pulley,rope and pvc pipe capped on bottom. Guy in stand would shoot at a deer target, after each shot, guy in ground would move target to different distance and change angles, after a few shots, he put arrows in tube and you pulled it up and you shot again.

Also when I worked on a shipping dock, I would guess and walk off distances all day long, it will become hard to shoot at unknown distances in ones yard  as soon you’ll know the distance from every weed .

Good luck !

you wish my friends were as cool as your friends. sounds like i need better friends that'll move targets for me and retrieve arrows.

5 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

dunno if you ve got one yet but a rangefinder is a bowman's best friend.  They sure are handy. 

I do have one, but it is currently in my turkey vest!  I will definitly use it.

One trick I learned and use while turkey hunting is to pre-range and discreetly mark it.  So, I will measure out 30 yards and stick a branch in the ground.  Then I know that branch is 30 yards, and I can go off that for guessing at distance from other points.  (I.e once that turkey walks inside 30 yards - BOOM!  

I plan to do than while bow hunting too, either with a stick in the ground or a small ribbon in a tree.  

• Like 3