Just Starting Out

Otto

As for the Hooter shooter ,Phil used it to tune  my bow prior to me showing up  . I’d show up while he was still closed and he’d have me shoot, I think he moved the sights once  or twice about a hair or so .

I don’t know very much about tuning bows, well nothing really, I’m just know it was pretty much set for me when I arrived .

Yes. I don't plan to make adjustments for quite a while! Just going to shoot as often as I can. One nice thing is he opens at 5pm and leagues don't start until 7, so the place is pretty much empty.
I plan to set up a outdoor target at my house too. A basement target is a possibility as well, just need to rearrange a lot of stuff and make some sort of backdrop for any of those errant shots.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

43 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Signed up just now for bow hunting certification course. Woot woot. Looks like I’m driving to Franklinville   

your just taking it now cause your afraid that the govt is coming for all your guns!  lol 

Glad to hear this!  No more missing out in October! 

• Like 2

I’ve been back 3x to shoot, I’m trying to go twice a week while i can bug out of work a little early and be there to shoot from 5:30 till 7pm or so.  April  and May will be very busy months for me, but I’m hoping i can shoot at home by then too.  They have a league every weeknight from 7 to 9.  

Of course, I am not seeing a lot of consistency yet, most of my shots are within 3 to 5 inches of the X in the center of the bull.  My groupings are about a 10” circle.  Once in a while an arrow goes wild, or i lose my hold on the draw and have to let down.   I can definitely feel my right arm muscles after a few rounds.  Not sore, but I feel it.  I just need to build those muscles up more, that’s all.  

Sometimes I shoot at the 5 small targets, sometimes I shoot at the 1 larger target and try for the tightest group i can.   Just depends, i like to mix it up.  For fun tonight I marked my 6 arrows -1,2,3,4,5,6 - and depending on the arrow number i pulled out, I would shoot at the designated target 1,2,3,4,5,6.   If anyone has suggestions on target games or drills, let me know.

I am concentrating on my posture, stance, anchor point and level of the bow.  It’s a lot to do in a few seconds, but I feel like I am doing it more naturally with each shot.  

I plan to sign up for the bow hunting class, but the registration for a nearby class does to open up until March 18th.

Having fun with a new learning experience and do appreciate all the encouragement!  

• Like 4

Sounds like you're on the right track.. Consistent grip and anchor points are probably the most critical. 

For me hand grip is the one thing that I struggled with for a while.. After  you master these,make sure you are focusing on the target , not the pin..

Thanks to a great deal through the Real TC III I have a new to me left handed bow.  (Mathews Derenalin) 
Today, I went to Wildwood Archery near Syracuse and the owner helped me set it up with the rest and sight.  He gave me some very basic instuction  and I shot my first ever arrow at a target from 15 feet away.  I actually hit the board!  Ha ha.     Someone else there was also a lefty and he let me use his bow (a Bowtech) from the 20 yard range, and I actually hit the dam target again, a little low and left, but I hit it very close to where I was aiming.   Pretty happy with my very first attempts.  I plan to head back Monday evening when they are open to try a few more arrows.  
All new and everything is strange.  Almost like learning a new language.  
TurkeyFeathers - YOU’RE UP MAN!! 

Work on form & breathing. Also how much weight does your bow have? You don’t need 70lbs to kill a deer. You just need to be comfortable. Over 50lbs should get it done. I say this respectfully bc at almost 57 years age, you don’t need to impress some kid using a 75 lb bow. Get ready to keep your guns in the safe. Archery is where it’s at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

I believe it draws at 52 pounds.  I am using same breathing techniques as when shooting with a gun, being sure not to hold my breath.  

52 will kill. Also, do not develop a death grip around the bow. Keep it light & you will be all right. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks,  I’m trying to hold it like a chipping wedge, just enough to not drop it.  (But i was never very good at golf....)

I’m keeping my middle, ring and pinkie fingers tucked around the grip, but really just wrapped around, no pressure or hold at all.  

• Like 1