Just Starting Out

Otto

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 6:04 PM, The_Real_TCIII said:

Yup, walk through the woods to different targets and shoot from a stake. Very casual, lot of fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Traditional friendly or are many of the shots 35yds plus?

11 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I have until 4/23 to build a platform blind at my property so that I can drive the field to drop off lunber before planting but I will go if I have that done.   Need a nice dry weekend. 

Need an extra set of hands Moog ? 

37 minutes ago, sodfather said:

I’m down for this, let’s get a posse together. Whatever day works for the majority the 14th or 15 I’m down. 

I'd like to give this a try. I haven't looked to see if I can do either day but I already know Sunday would be better than Saturday. 

2 of my groups from tonight. When I got there, it had just opened up so it was chilly inside. I shot the first few rounds with my coat on and I was definitely not on target! That will be something to work on before 10/1. 0966899faead00bccc558750b28e879a.jpgc97a374893871d377e5bb1de82e9bfe8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, Otto said:

2 of my groups from tonight. When I got there, it had just opened up so it was chilly inside. I shot the first few rounds with my coat on and I was definitely not on target! That will be something to work on before 10/1. 0966899faead00bccc558750b28e879a.jpgc97a374893871d377e5bb1de82e9bfe8.jpg

That's a nice group! Plenty good enough for lung shots. 

You should get used to shooting in chilly temps. Not every day in the bow season will be in the 70's. Once the season gets closer shoot with your hunting clothes on. One, to make sure the string doesn't catch on any clothing, arm guards help on sleeves, but of the coat/jacket is loose you can catch on the zipper flap. Two, the added weight of the clothes can mess with form. So take some time to shoot with your hunting clothes/gear on. If you hunt from a tree stand make sure to get some practice in shooting from elevation.

You seem to be on the right path, and if the deer walks into your range, it's a dead dear.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2018 at 8:48 PM, Otto said:

Nice job Otto those are getting better and better 

I was chit chatting with the owner of Wildwood Archery and asking about joining a league next year, knowing that the indoor leagues all end in April or so.  He told me that a team on Thursday night had just recently lost one of their members and if I wanted to sub for the next four weeks that would have me. 

This past Thursday was my first night and I shot a 249.  I believe that is my raw score since I don’t have a handicap yet.  I was pretty happy with my shooting,.  My best  round was a 23 and I don’t think I shot below 19.   It was also my first night with the new arrow rest.  I had a whisker biscuit on it but the new drop down just came in and the owner put it on for me.  I have no idea what model or manufacturer.

About half of the guys on this night shoot traditional which was fun to watch.  Anyways, now I have no reason not to shoot at least 1x a week for the next few weeks.   Very nice group of guys, glad I asked when I did, working out perfectly for me. 

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished my third week of the archery league. First week I shot 249, second 268, tonight was a 270. I had my first 25 round, followed by my second and third. My last round was 24, so for the third game I shot a 99. Its been a lot of fun. Most of the guys are shooting recurve, which looks really cool. bc76cc9cdb82ce83f1f18287d6e1bf05.jpg

e1c52f3955550f38082b9b14629e00be.jpg

096f6d233d8e50171f29fb4c5e9c0a84.jpg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Take a ride out to Alden on the 15th and shoot 3D with us

Hey speaking of that what do we need for the 3D shoot? Min-Max number of arrows, range finder... I dont know what else but I've never done a shoot before 

22 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

Hey speaking of that what do we need for the 3D shoot? Min-Max number of arrows, range finder... I dont know what else but I've never done a shoot before 

Min arrows is one, there is no max thats up the the shooter lol. Bring binoculars. Im sure you can have your rangefinder its no big deal, youre shooting for fun. Do you shoot with your quiver on? if not a hip quiver is helpful even if you just rig something up. Its just a fun shoot

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Take a ride out to Alden on the 15th and shoot 3D with us

I have it on my calendar but it will be a last minute thing if I do.  The next 2 months will be pretty busy work wise, as well as on the home front.  

• Like 2