John White game farm soon to be developed

bpb

So what do you guys think about the JWGF being turned into one of those office/manufacturing parks?

The development people have a web site http://www.gcedc.com/  genessee county and their minuets are listed as well.http://www.gcedc.com/pdf/stamp/executive_summary.pdf 

The thing I noticed was how the utility companies gave hundred's of thousands of dollars to lobby and start a study of the site. I saw a mention of,(useless); windmills in a drawing but no mention of them in any letters.    see this pdf below now here is the web site it is listed on www.horizonwindfarms.com    http://www.horizonwindfarms.com/northeast-region/documents/under-dev/alabama-ledge/deis/8.%20Summary%20of%20Cumulative%20Impacts.pdf 

Yes we're getting screwed, again.      I argued with all the strip malls abandon and looking like a 3rd world country why can't one of those be built on. 

WOW!

It was one of the pheasant rearing farms the state close a few years back.

A little suggestion here guys. You all need to get off the internet and join one of the Federations or SCOPE chapter in your area so you can stay on top of issues that effect sportsmen.

I was at an event yesterday and people had not heard the State closed some of the parks.

Like a former USFW director said in 2004; sportsmen ae not showing up when needed.

• 4 years later...

It's unfortunate that they are letting that area be developed. It use to be the location of the youth pheasant hunts. BIG $$ and lobbyist will kill our hunting lands. I wish it was mandatory for these companies to be told if they take that acreage and what it could potentially yield in game that they would have to invest twice that much in an existing area so that it could be upgraded and sustain wildlife.

WOW!

It was one of the pheasant rearing farms the state close a few years back.

A little suggestion here guys. You all need to get off the internet and join one of the Federations or SCOPE chapter in your area so you can stay on top of issues that effect sportsmen.

I was at an event yesterday and people had not heard the State closed some of the parks.

Like a former USFW director said in 2004; sportsmen ae not showing up when needed.

Good idea on joining local chapters. Thanks for the advice.

The first thing that strikes me is did Pitman Robertson grant money ever fund any part of this game farm... The second thing that strikes me is the use of the land for wind farms. Since wind farms are detrimental to birds and bats, as well as eyesores and a source of noise pollution, it is very ironic conservation land / infrastructure is being converted for this purpose...

As far as the OP comments regarding SCOPE and county federations I don't think these entities keep their member constituency apprised of anymore than what interests and concerns the board officers and the commercial hunting industries ( manufacturers, magazines) who are obviously collude with politicians. These organizations claim to represent the so-called unorganized sportsman but the fact is they don't even represent all of their paid members, only the sheep (followers).

The loss of small game hunting tradition in NY is to the delight of both the anti hunters and a portion of poorly informed non-shooting conservationists who understand that when big game hunting becomes the sole emphasis of hunting loss of hunter recruitment through ATTRITION will be accelerated.

Compared to NY's annual production of 30K game farm pheasant, PA averages 220K. This year PA raised a bumper crop of 330K birds. PA also promotes its pheasant hunting and other small game opportunities. Another sharp contract is the attitudes of the respective face book pages. The NY DEC face book page is heavily laden with anti hunters who protest every whisper of hunting by the DEC. PA Game Commission however; asks its followers to post pictures of their grouse and pheasant harvests.... I follow a few other state wildlife agencies on FB and only NY DEC is hijacked in this manner.

Here is a PA Game Commission video about their pheasant propagation. As you can see, the attitude is much different. They also just posted this same video on their FB page, speaking of such. I don't agree with the wildlife chiefs assertion that small game populations are on the decline  however. That is true compared to the past, but not in the context the majority of sportsmen and others will take it. For example, I just hunted a freshly stocked PA game land: we flushed zero pheasant but did flush 4 grouse and 2 woodcock... And I am not talking about re-flushes, this was 6 different birds... Small game habitat and thus game populations were better in the past, but keep the context clear...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA0Am_d9Yxk&list=PLdqHbfhW8Hu2byhk7czCyxn3WZWV884JS&index=1

• Like 1

All very good points Mike. I have also noticed that people seem to be actively (intentionally) brewing unrest between deer hunters and small game hunters. In the last 5 years I have had more disgust pointed my way for daring to disrupt the woods via squirrel or fall turkey hunting from archery hunters than ever before. What used to be a pat on the back has turned into often getting sneered at for disrupting someone else's hunt unintentionally.

Not all archery hunters are like this, and I enjoy both large and small game hunting-- I have just been surprised by the number of hunters at each other's throats over this sort of thing. I greatly respect archers and hope to join them one day, and would never intentionally disturb someone in this way-- but at the same time, we must learn to respectfully share the ever shrinking areas we may hunt.