Working on a new prosthetic arm

Bionic

2 hours ago, The Jerkman said:

Seems like he does more with his bionic arm than I can and actually do with my human arm.

You Can't Beat My Meat!!!

Thank you for that, I honestly enjoy doing things, that people think are not possible, love pushing that envelope.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Very interesting in the advances in technology.  I always wondered weight wise are they heavy? I imagine as technology advances lighter components are a plus.

Thanks for sharing.

Since 2007, the tech has gone crazy developed.

Weight wise, they are light, yes.  I believe around 3 to 3.5 lbs.  HOWEVER! Keep in mind, I only suspend that on 3" of bone BELOW my real elbow, so the weight FEELS much greater.  I actually call it leverage weight.  Plus, the majority of the weight is in the actual fake hand.  The arm detached from the fake hand might weight .7 lbs, so that leaves the hand at over 2 pounds, extremely off balance.  They do use titanium,  and real carbon fiber, and fiber glass.  I have no complaints with weight, infact I hold my Mathew's Mission Hype with it, i draw with my real arm.  Although, some people are very affected by the weight, to the extent, it might mandate that they choose a electronic hand, over an other(s).  The length in which your real arm is also makes a difference in the way you feel the weight.  Some amputees are only missing hand, and wrist.  At this point, weight is no big deal, because the batteries, and electronics are mounted externally, on there actual real arm, in a fatter prosthetic shell, since theres no room due to long bone. Make sense?

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Bionic said:

Since 2007, the tech has gone crazy developed.

Weight wise, they are light, yes.  I believe around 3 to 3.5 lbs.  HOWEVER! Keep in mind, I only suspend that on 3" of bone BELOW my real elbow, so the weight FEELS much greater.  I actually call it leverage weight.  Plus, the majority of the weight is in the actual fake hand.  The arm detached from the fake hand might weight .7 lbs, so that leaves the hand at over 2 pounds, extremely off balance.  They do use titanium,  and real carbon fiber, and fiber glass.  I have no complaints with weight, infact I hold my Mathew's Mission Hype with it, i draw with my real arm.  Although, some people are very affected by the weight, to the extent, it might mandate that they choose a electronic hand, over an other(s).  The length in which your real arm is also makes a difference in the way you feel the weight.  Some amputees are only missing hand, and wrist.  At this point, weight is no big deal, because the batteries, and electronics are mounted externally, on there actual real arm, in a fatter prosthetic shell, since theres no room due to long bone. Make sense?

Thanks for the response....yup makes sense. Good luck with the new one!

• Thanks 1

Thank you Biz!

You got it man! I have a distant relative who has 1 arm. He lost his in a cement mixing accident like 70 years ago. He’s around 90 now, but I don’t think he ever got a prosthetic unfortunately. He lives in western NY and some forum members actually know him. As far as I know, he’s still an avid golfer. However, your thread makes me wonder what more he could have done with a prosthetic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I mean, this is just rediculous ! Those arms are amazing !!! I think I can speak for a bunch of us, we are so under informed of the tech out there now. Def following this thread and excited to see the new setup !! Thanks for sharing, and for having the willingness to let us read. 100% insperation. U da man

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

You got it man! I have a distant relative who has 1 arm. He lost his in a cement mixing accident like 70 years ago. He’s around 90 now, but I don’t think he ever got a prosthetic unfortunately. He lives in western NY and some forum members actually know him. As far as I know, he’s still an avid golfer. However, your thread makes me wonder what more he could have done with a prosthetic

That is a neat story.  Obviously,  and unfortunate event, that is not neat, but its the drive that your relative has that,  I feel I have,  and I love hearing that others too, do not sit around,  with whoa's me.  You know, sometimes people just do not want a prosthesis, and some want them.  Its the older generation typically who choses to go without it seems.  Older folks treat others more humanely,  where the more recent generations get, the more lousy they treat others.  I can honestly do thing so much easier without the arms on, although some things cannot be done without the prosthetics, like the chainsaw, and certain things.  I honestly only wear the arms around others who i am not EXTREMELY comfortable around, my real arm stump is almost like a private part in my mimd, that you dont just go whipping out.  I wear these arms to try and blend in, if that makes sense, even though this current arm is far from natiral looking.  I still get all sorts of googly eyes from the public, and the worst part is, its the adults that are mpre obnoxious than children! Kids are curious, I get it, they see, and its like old news in an instance to them it seems.  Where as adults know its rude, and know what it is, yet still make it awkward, and uncomfortable.   I am rambling on, but my point is, good for your relative, not caring about the reactions he gets in public! I wish I could be more like that.  Sounds like a wonderful person!  Thanks for sharing that.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

I mean, this is just rediculous ! Those arms are amazing !!! I think I can speak for a bunch of us, we are so under informed of the tech out there now. Def following this thread and excited to see the new setup !! Thanks for sharing, and for having the willingness to let us read. 100% insperation. U da man

That is really cool, I am glad I can share this, and interest you guys in something not top common.  Thank you for the kind words too, I just want to share this exciting stuff. xD

20 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

I may have missed it, but do you know what the PSI is for you hand ? Just curious.

I had to look it up on OttoBock's website.

They list it in Newtons, so I googled a Newtons to Pounds converter.  The hand has different grip patterns.

Opposition mode's pinch force in pounds is 15.736 lbs.

Opposition grip is when you pinch your thumb down in against the tips of your index, and middle finger.

Lateral grip mode's pinch force in pounds is 13.4885 lbs.

Lateral grip is when your thumb presses against your index finger, but on the side of the index, at the nearest pivot to your index fingernail.  Make sense?

There is also a Neutral mode grip pattern.  Once you are finished releasing your grip off an object, the hand automatically relaxes, into a natural hand gesture, as if you are just walking with your hands at your side.  If you were to allow the hand to grip onto something as it went into this natural relaxed gesture,  it would have 3.37213 lbs of pinch force.

I also see the hand itself weighs, approximate 420 grams, which is .93 lbs.

I also use an electronic rotating wrist, that is added on as an option.  That weighs an additional .4 lbs to the .93 lbs of the hand.

Edited by Bionic
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

Well, now we know ! Again, the tech behind it is beyond interesting.

I would have thought it was more pounds of pinch force,  but its interesting.  

I really am having a difficult time trying to decide of what the theme of the arm should be.  I do not want to paint again, I am stupid anal about keeping it in perfect condition, that it makes me nervous.  Considering carbon fiber.  I also wonder, if they can make it out of metal.  I doubt it.  I thought about bedlining it, for something different, but long sleeves would be a nuisance.   I like gray, but i feel it would be boring.

TreeGuy- also keep in mind when I tell you these grip forces, that this means when I flex the muscle at 100%.  I can lightly flex, and slowly move the fingers to the object,  and grip it as light as I want, or give it the full poundage. The only exception is that natural mode, because the hand does this automatically,  after you release something, and the hand does not receive a signal from you after .5 seconds.  The .5 seconds is an example of how the hand can be tuned via laptop/bluetooth.  You can adjust in seconds how long the hand waits until it relaxes to a natural state.

What a cool thread Bionic. I had no idea there was so much technology involved. In this day and age it seems so obvious that there would be yet I was still surprised. I may have missed it but how do you control the arm and hand like open and close the hand?

• Like 1

I would have thought it was more pounds of pinch force,  but its interesting.  
I really am having a difficult time trying to decide of what the theme of the arm should be.  I do not want to paint again, I am stupid anal about keeping it in perfect condition, that it makes me nervous.  Considering carbon fiber.  I also wonder, if they can make it out of metal.  I doubt it.  I thought about bedlining it, for something different, but long sleeves would be a nuisance.   I like gray, but i feel it would be boring.

No theme. Straight carbon fiber !

• Like 1