Working on a new prosthetic arm

Bionic

4 hours ago, crappyice said:

Now I’m confused. How can you “feel” how much pressure you are applying to an egg?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

honestly, it is what Jerkman said, all kidding aside....and not trying to sound arrogant, but with the years that I have used these things, you just know how much force is needed, or not needed.  I have had that arm, and hand for over 6 yrs, it is to the point I sometimes don't look at stuff I grab, or move, its so in tune with me! it does not appear as high tech as other hands, but it seriously is much higher in tech due to the software inside, a true case of whats inside that counts.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Storm914 said:

Do they  make specialized  rifle  attachments for your arm  ? For hunting or do  you just use what you use every day for hunting ?

They do actually have rifle cradles for shooters.  Its like a little “U” shaped device that attaches to a special adapter for the arm.  If I hunt at home, or out back as I call it, I do not wear a prosthesis at all actually, rifle, or crossbow, but do use my painted arm for compound bow.  If I hunt on state, or my other spot by my job, I use my painted arm.

here is a device that’s available, I referred to but never used.

F61793F4-912B-49B0-BEC9-B616655F92A8.jpeg

• Like 2

I have been offered another opportunity from my prosthetic’s office.  I have been invited to be a participant in a research study for new technology that is not yet commercially available.  This tech is a part of how I operate the prosthesis.  As mentioned before I use 2 electrodes to control my hand/powered wrist.  This new system is multiple electrodes in new ways.  What I would do is take a test of timed tasks with my current painted Michelangelo arm you see all the time posted.  After that, they will fabricate a new arm with multiple electrodes to control the hand I have been using.  I will wear it for 6 weeks, and the same timed tasks will be conducted as I did with the current arm system I wear now.  After that, a second new arm will be created with different products for more timed task tests.  Still new, foggy about specific details, will visit them after work Wednesday, and see whats up.  I figured I would share...

• Like 9

I have been offered another opportunity from my prosthetic’s office.  I have been invited to be a participant in a research study for new technology that is not yet commercially available.  This tech is a part of how I operate the prosthesis.  As mentioned before I use 2 electrodes to control my hand/powered wrist.  This new system is multiple electrodes in new ways.  What I would do is take a test of timed tasks with my current painted Michelangelo arm you see all the time posted.  After that, they will fabricate a new arm with multiple electrodes to control the hand I have been using.  I will wear it for 6 weeks, and the same timed tasks will be conducted as I did with the current arm system I wear now.  After that, a second new arm will be created with different products for more timed task tests.  Still new, foggy about specific details, will visit them after work Wednesday, and see whats up.  I figured I would share...

Awesome...can’t wait to see the new one next Monday!!!

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

That is some cool stuff bionic took a while to read about it all 

From your first posts hope this new one works out even better 

Glad you enjoyed it, it will be quite an adventure 

when I started this thread a year ago, I was persuing the build of a new arm, but fell on the current arm, and broke the hand.  I had to get it repaired, so insurance obviously, and understandably wouldn’t approve of a new arm.  I still am using that arm/hand.  This research study will build me 2 arms, however once the study is completed, I can keep the 2 arms, but they will be gutted of the components that are not yet commercially available.

Edited by Bionic

DO IT OR WE WILL SMACK YOU AT THE MEETUP IN 6 DAYS

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Haha! I would want to be beat to a pulp if I ever turned down an opportunity! 
Good Man! Glad you got some gray matter between those two ears of yours! Looking forward to finally meeting ya at the Meetup should be a great time if it's anything like the last one we had

• Like 1

Just now, The Jerkman said:

Good Man! Glad you got some gray matter between those two ears of yours! Looking forward to finally meeting ya at the Meetup should be a great time if it's anything like the last one we had

Thanks man, I will wait out by the road for you to pick us up.  

You are alright, regardless of what crappy says about ya!

Thanks man, I will wait out by the road for you to pick us up.  
You are alright, regardless of what crappy says about ya!

Reserve your judgement of the Jerkman until you meet him. Unlike most forum members he actually sours with human contact. You may also choose to implore the “fist bump” instead of the handshake when you meet him. He does identify as a Jerkman and I’m pretty sure he ain’t left handed.

Reserve your judgement of the Jerkman until you meet him. Unlike most forum members he actually sours with human contact. You may also choose to implore the “fist bump” instead of the handshake when you meet him. He does identify as a Jerkman and I’m pretty sure he ain’t left handed.

It's ok. I'm highly hygienic. Big hand washer. And what's wrong with souring? Turkey Feathers loves sour beers

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

how  long do the batteries last ? Befor it needs to be charged 

There is a ton of electronics, and motions that this full arm system can do, keep that in mind.  The battery life is not good, 6-7 hrs on one external battery, and 1 hour for an internal battery.  That a long with its price tag, are its MAJOR catastrophic downfalls to me.  It is a start though! It was wild.  I will post post in a bit.

1 minute ago, Bionic said:

There is a ton of electronics, and motions that this full arm system can do, keep that in mind.  The battery life is not good, 6-7 hrs on one external battery, and 1 hour for an internal battery.  That a long with its price tag, are its MAJOR catastrophic downfalls to me.  It is a start though! It was wild.  I will post post in a bit.

To bad, how is the weight does it feel not bulking at least ?

1 minute ago, Storm914 said:

To bad, how is the weight does it feel not bulking at least ?

As you see pictured it sits at 10 lbs which apparently is comparable to the human arm.  The battery life is feasible though, because something of this caliber, users are not wearing all day.  A lot of myoelectric users only wear devices 3-4 hrs a day.  I am much different in that aspect, I have been wearing mine for almost 37 straight hours....

• Like 1