Working on a new prosthetic arm

Bionic

Great news, a full new arm, and hand was approved, which will include pattern recognition software, electronic rotational wrist, etc.  

Also, tomorrow is an appointment to finally try on the research study arm that has been fabricated for me.  

• Like 11

On 7/2/2019 at 8:56 AM, Belo said:

Bionic,

Wondering if you've ever seen the full documentary Charged? This guys was on a meateater podcast and his story is wild.

I forgot about this, I just watched this preview, pretty interesting, and just PROVES hoe you never know what tomorrow brings! 

True story, when I went to Texas over the winter for the arm events, during my photo, and video shoots, they had me cover the back of my prosthesis.  This was because I have a “sticker” airbrushed on the back that says “Danger High Voltage”.  Apparently, there are A LOT of electrocutions that resulted in amputations, so the area of my arm I had my shirt sleeve cover incase any amputees were there who experienced electrocution.  

Thanks for sharing the link, I wonder if the full documentary is on Netflix....

pic shows “sticker” on the back

D4188761-C428-4B24-A584-07FFE4684311.jpeg

Edited by Bionic
  • Like 3

I forgot about this, I just watched this preview, pretty interesting, and just PROVES hoe you never know what tomorrow brings! 
True story, when I went to Texas over the winter for the arm events, during my photo, and video shoots, they had me cover the back of my prosthesis.  This was because I have a “sticker” airbrushed on the back that says “Danger High Voltage”.  Apparently, there are A LOT of electrocutions that resulted in amputations, so the area of my arm I had my shirt sleeve cover incase any amputees were there who experienced electrocution.  
Thanks for sharing the link, I wonder if the full documentary is on Netflix....
pic shows “sticker” on the back
D4188761-C428-4B24-A584-07FFE4684311.thumb.jpeg.e1752c8328a1222ac4c68a4e9d70746d.jpeg

I don’t believe it is, but there is another YouTube video of him where he kind of tells his story and a meateater podcast interview that are free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

So today I had another appointment for the research study arm.  I am going to repeat some details already mentioned in order to refresh memories for those that have been following....currently I have been using whats called a 2 channel system to operate the controls of the bionic hand, and electronically rotating wrist in the prosthesis.  2 channel simply means to muscle signals.  To be literal that means, one muscle will control the opening of the hand, and the second muscle(second channel) will operate the closing of the hand.  I also control the rotation of the wrist as well, one muscle spins the wrist one direction, while the other channel(muscle) rotates the wrist the opposite direction.  I can also control the thumb, which can be swung over for a pinch type grip.  That control is also made using the same 2 muscles, this thumb swing operation is initiated bu flexing BOTH muscles called a “co-contraction”.  Sooo, when I want to rotate the hand to a certain angle, I fire a muscle fast, and firmly, then once at the angle I desire, I relax that muscle, then immediately I can flex my muscle lightly, and slowly to operate the opening of the hand, then relax for literally a split a second, and then fire the other muscle to close the hand.  Hopefully this is all making sense.  When I say I “relax”...this is literally only long enough to not give any muscle signal to the “electrodes” that gather the muscle signals...a program exists on a laptop that allows you to see these signals, looked like a graph with little lines climbing up, and down in real time...like a lie detector I guess you can say, or old cassette tape screen.  

Here is the difference now...the research study arm we are currently building, has 12 channels! Yes 12, so I went from 2 to 12, pretty crazy since I have been using 2 for 30 yrs.  My brain is simply programmed to want to only use those 2 usual muscles I have ALWAYS used.  Anyways, the difference, and reasoning behind so many channels(muscles) is that you can now sort of mimic the use of a prosthetic hand, and if it were a REAL hand.  What I mean is, the actual muscles you would use to control a REAL hand you can use them to control the hand.  So if you used “this muscle”, “that muscle”, muscle “k”, and muscle “x” to control a fist, and rotate the wrist at the same time clockwise, you can program the fake arm/hand/wrist to actually DO that...this technology is called “pattern recognition software”.  

Here is how it is all configured, and programmed.  As mentioned prior, you connect via bluetooth to a laptop with software made by the company of the pattern recognition software electrodes.  Once this is connected, you see a cartoon graphic arm/hand on the screen, and a graph showing in real time your muscle signal strengths for EACH “channel”.  You then create a pattern of muscles you will flex, for a very specific movement of the hand, and wrist.  12 channels, mean you can do 12 gestures, or grips, or movements! You then add these patterns into the software, and the prosthetic learns it.  

What is also a benefit versus the 2 channel I currently use....the 2 channel requires VERY firm muscle flexes, and some require a long hold of that muscle flex.  Basically, you hold that muscle flex until the hand is done with what you are telling it to do.  For example, you hold that muscle until the hand is tightened down onto an object you want to pick up.  With pattern recognition software, you only need to fire the muscles “mildly”, like a weak lousy limp handshake type grasp...

The hand I plan on getting, has over a dozen programmable hand gestures to add into the hand.  Like a pinch grip, a key grip, middle finger, etc....with this pattern recognition software I can enter the hand into these grip patterns in probably half the time as the current 2 channel system.  

I am honestly VERY fast, and natural at the control of my prosthetics now, so this software will be a challenge, which is exciting.  I will need to reprogram my brain, and go against all I have been doing forever.  I do not have to use this new system though, but I want to stay current with the new tech that being created.

Another big plus, is these new electrodes as you see pictured, the small black circle ear bud looking things...are so small, and low profile, compared the typical rectangular 3/4” x 1.25” electrodes.  You do not even know these new electrodes are against your skin! No more skin irritations.

oh, and the odd looking 90 degree elbow looking beige piece at the end of my arm is a check valve, restricting air to exit the arm/socket creating a suction to keep the socket on firmer

F79933B0-CBA1-487E-88B2-DDE940DB6D79.jpeg

92492D6F-46CB-43E8-86B7-3561E14A0248.jpeg

B0FF0DE4-4FC4-42B1-A100-9B77AFDB280E.jpeg

916A36E3-06D1-469F-85DA-5376A0B36D61.jpeg

Edited by Bionic
  • Like 2

So today I had another appointment for the research study arm.  I am going to repeat some details already mentioned in order to refresh memories for those that have been following....currently I have been using whats called a 2 channel system to operate the controls of the bionic hand, and electronically rotating wrist in the prosthesis.  2 channel simply means to muscle signals.  To be literal that means, one muscle will control the opening of the hand, and the second muscle(second channel) will operate the closing of the hand.  I also control the rotation of the wrist as well, one muscle spins the wrist one direction, while the other channel(muscle) rotates the wrist the opposite direction.  I can also control the thumb, which can be swung over for a pinch type grip.  That control is also made using the same 2 muscles, this thumb swing operation is initiated bu flexing BOTH muscles called a “co-contraction”.  Sooo, when I want to rotate the hand to a certain angle, I fire a muscle fast, and firmly, then once at the angle I desire, I relax that muscle, then immediately I can flex my muscle lightly, and slowly to operate the opening of the hand, then relax for literally a split a second, and then fire the other muscle to close the hand.  Hopefully this is all making sense.  When I say I “relax”...this is literally only long enough to not give any muscle signal to the “electrodes” that gather the muscle signals...a program exists on a laptop that allows you to see these signals, looked like a graph with little lines climbing up, and down in real time...like a lie detector I guess you can say, or old cassette tape screen.  
Here is the difference now...the research study arm we are currently building, has 12 channels! Yes 12, so I went from 2 to 12, pretty crazy since I have been using 2 for 30 yrs.  My brain is simply programmed to want to only use those 2 usual muscles I have ALWAYS used.  Anyways, the difference, and reasoning behind so many channels(muscles) is that you can now sort of mimic the use of a prosthetic hand, and if it were a REAL hand.  What I mean is, the actual muscles you would use to control a REAL hand you can use them to control the hand.  So if you used “this muscle”, “that muscle”, muscle “k”, and muscle “x” to control a fist, and rotate the wrist at the same time clockwise, you can program the fake arm/hand/wrist to actually DO that...this technology is called “pattern recognition software”.  
Here is how it is all configured, and programmed.  As mentioned prior, you connect via bluetooth to a laptop with software made by the company of the pattern recognition software electrodes.  Once this is connected, you see a cartoon graphic arm/hand on the screen, and a graph showing in real time your muscle signal strengths for EACH “channel”.  You then create a pattern of muscles you will flex, for a very specific movement of the hand, and wrist.  12 channels, mean you can do 12 gestures, or grips, or movements! You then add these patterns into the software, and the prosthetic learns it.  
What is also a benefit versus the 2 channel I currently use....the 2 channel requires VERY firm muscle flexes, and some require a long hold of that muscle flex.  Basically, you hold that muscle flex until the hand is done with what you are telling it to do.  For example, you hold that muscle until the hand is tightened down onto an object you want to pick up.  With pattern recognition software, you only need to fire the muscles “mildly”, like a weak lousy limp handshake type grasp...
The hand I plan on getting, has over a dozen programmable hand gestures to add into the hand.  Like a pinch grip, a key grip, middle finger, etc....with this pattern recognition software I can enter the hand into these grip patterns in probably half the time as the current 2 channel system.  
I am honestly VERY fast, and natural at the control of my prosthetics now, so this software will be a challenge, which is exciting.  I will need to reprogram my brain, and go against all I have been doing forever.  I do not have to use this new system though, but I want to stay current with the new tech that being created.
Another big plus, is these new electrodes as you see pictured, the small black circle ear bud looking things...are so small, and low profile, compared the typical rectangular 3/4” x 1.25” electrodes.  You do not even know these new electrodes are against your skin! No more skin irritations.
F79933B0-CBA1-487E-88B2-DDE940DB6D79.thumb.jpeg.f9a7868f57eb87bbe0d052cc71e3cb4a.jpeg
92492D6F-46CB-43E8-86B7-3561E14A0248.thumb.jpeg.ea9dbff27a31b38bc3db528cfca837da.jpeg
B0FF0DE4-4FC4-42B1-A100-9B77AFDB280E.thumb.jpeg.35172001388abeb2718463008ed58cd5.jpeg
916A36E3-06D1-469F-85DA-5376A0B36D61.thumb.jpeg.27c8d9a596775d7fab7f81830f0edc7a.jpeg
That is fantastic! I was about to ask if you can flip people off but then I kept reading and you answered my question! Love how far tech has come it's super awesome! Looking forward to seeing all the new gestures you're going to be doing

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Just now, Bill Schmidt said:

That is fantastic! I was about to ask if you can flip people off but then I kept reading and you answered my question! Love how far tech has come it's super awesome! Looking forward to seeing all the new gestures you're going to be doing

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Haha, YES! I uses to enjoy doing that at stop lights all creepily.  LoL.  I used to beta test for Touch Bionics, and I was able to flip the bird easily, it was good times.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Great read.  Congrats on the progress.  Let girls read your post as also interested.    Thanks for the update 

Very cool, glad you all found it interesting. Will be headed back Thursday....SHOULD be ready to bring the arm home for trialing.

like i told you, they forgot to ship the most crucial part lol

• Like 1

I'm fascinated by this new technology. And I thank you for explaining it so it's easier for me to follow along. So cool that you're on the cutting edge of all this! No doubt it will take some getting used to, going from 2 to 12 channels. But I have no doubt you will master it quickly. Your grit and determination, along with your intelligence, is truly an inspiration.

Keep on keeping on my friend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, grampy said:

I'm fascinated by this new technology. And I thank you for explaining it so it's easier for me to follow along. So cool that you're on the cutting edge of all this! No doubt it will take some getting used to, going from 2 to 12 channels. But I have no doubt you will master it quickly. Your grit and determination, along with your intelligence, is truly an inspiration.

Keep on keeping on my friend.

Thanks Grampy, I am happy to share this part of my life.  I am honestly a very private person, and truly never advertise my business, but when it comes to this I seriously enjoy it.  If I knew what I know now, when I was 18, I would have probably pursued prosthetics as a career. 

• Like 3

Thanks Grampy, I am happy to share this part of my life.  I am honestly a very private person, and truly never advertise my business, but when it comes to this I seriously enjoy it.  If I knew what I know now, when I was 18, I would have probably pursued prosthetics as a career. 

I’m smelling a side gig for you as an advocate for others with similar needs. Can’t wait to see you sprinkling some cow rub on shraaammmpps with your new piece!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Love the clear look although I’m sure it’s only temporary. Good luck-look forward to seeing it put to work

I think its pretty cool too being clear, but think I would get tired/uncomfortable with it honestly.  You are correct, only temporary.  Its a 6-12 week study, then a different arm is built for some different tech, to be compared to this. Writing a lengthy post up after this that ties into  your reply.

• Like 1

I'm guessing it's prob clear so you can see the workings of it in process.  And make suggestions on it etc.  Esp being a prototype.

Pretty awesome to be able to use that and know that you are gonna help form something that will help others.  Am sure engineers can put together stuff on paper all day but it needs to be used to be tested and improved.  And with all you do it should get a pretty good test. 

Def be interested to see how it turns out. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

I know you'll really put it through it's paces, and figure out what does and doesn't need to be tweaked. That is the whole idea of working with a prototype. Does this one "feel" a lot different with more channels? They certainly picked the right person to get this figured out, to help others.

Thanks to you, this is a really cool thread!!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I'm guessing it's prob clear so you can see the workings of it in process.  And make suggestions on it etc.  Esp being a prototype.

Pretty awesome to be able to use that and know that you are gonna help form something that will help others.  Am sure engineers can put together stuff on paper all day but it needs to be used to be tested and improved.  And with all you do it should get a pretty good test. 

Def be interested to see how it turns out. 

Honestly, that would make sense as far as being clear, but in this case it is simply for cost, since it is only a temporary setup.  It is really amazing to be apart of this, feel super fortunate!  I will keep you up to date

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, grampy said:

I know you'll really put it through it's paces, and figure out what does and doesn't need to be tweaked. That is the whole idea of working with a prototype. Does this one "feel" a lot different with more channels? They certainly picked the right person to get this figured out, to help others.

Thanks to you, this is a really cool thread!!

Thanks Grampy, YES, it feels soooo different, EVERYTHING about it feels unlike anything I am used too.  Having 12 electrodes versus 2, truly feels like I am learning a new language.  There is SO MUCH to discuss, and explain in a post, that I do not know where to start!

• Like 1