Working on a new prosthetic arm

Bionic

Just now, Robhuntandfish said:

I would think there is def quite a learning curve for that.  Is there going to actually be too many electrodes to try and differentiate between all of them?  Seems like it would take a lot of use to perfect it.

I really wish that I could describe how it works exactly, as far as the muscles flexes go! Its wild...but yes I am wondering if this is more complex than it really needs to be. However, the new HAND I want to get had up to 23 different hand gestures that the hand can display, with muscle movements from these channels.  This multi-channel setup can reduce the effort of making the hand display these hand gestures.  I have the 2 channel perfected, so adding 10 more is like WTF lol.  Basically you fire muscles in patterns to create specific movements in the hand/wrist.  I will be writing a detailed post tonight, or tomorrow, just  sooooooo much to describe! You guys are into it, so its worth it though.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Bill Schmidt said:

Are those electrodes comfortable?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

YES! Honestly....it look terribly horrendous as far as comfort looks.  I kid you not, and I do mot exaggerate! You can NOT feel ANY of the electrodes.  My current arm with 2 electrodes, I can feel both of them, one actually has been ripping/pinching my skin! You can see a red line/scar in the steering wheel pic.  These small circular electrodes are AMAZING.  You don’t even know they are there! 

• Like 1

So today was an AMAZING day for me, life changing....I was never able to bring the fake hand anywhere near my face, I would say I could not get the hand within 10” of my face.  This means I could never drink from a glass with it, eat from a fork with it, and so on.  Hard to imagine probably, and something that might not have ever crossed your mind.  Its life, and you do what you have to do. It has never been difficult, and I have it easy compared to many, but this new prototype arm that is skin fit, allows me to touch my face with the hand! SUPER excited, and it is something I always wanted to be able to do.  Now that I can touch my face, I cannot wait to get the controls dialed in, and make an attempt at drinking from a glass with the prosthetic hand, it just means so much to me.  I told the man who fabricated the socket for me, and you can see it meant the world to him! It was very cool, he shook my hand when I told him this was life changing, and you could see how he was taken back by it, it was a great moment!  

As far as controlling this arm, you need to create your own pattern of muscle flexes...you create one for opening of the hand, closing of the hand, rotating the wrist in each direction, etc....

you calibrate the hand through a program on a laptop...the arm ALSO allows you to program it on the go anywhere! 

Basically you program the hand by flexing muscles in patterns for each hand grip.  It learns it, programs the hand, and it will work accordingly.  You need to program it with your hand down against your side in a standing position, a sitting position, a position where your arm is over your head, etc....the more you program the arm system, the more it dials in your muscle flex patterns to work how you want it, to work.  Basically the more you program, the more it learns your muscle flex patterns....each muscle flex program gets stored within the arm...so if you program it several times, the arm will figure out a muscle pattern of flexes on what the average is of those muscle flexes...

Does that make sense? 

If you are sitting down with the arm resting on a table, versus standing up with it resting on your side, the electrodes will be contacting my skin with different pressures which can affect the sensitivity in which they decipher what the muscles tell the arm to do...so by programming at several positions of seated, standing, etc, you create a more in-tune control of the arm no matter what your posture is...

I hope this makes sense, so difficult to explain 

• Like 8

YES! Honestly....it look terribly horrendous as far as comfort looks.  I kid you not, and I do mot exaggerate! You can NOT feel ANY of the electrodes.  My current arm with 2 electrodes, I can feel both of them, one actually has been ripping/pinching my skin! You can see a red line/scar in the steering wheel pic.  These small circular electrodes are AMAZING.  You don’t even know they are there! 
Ouch yes upon further review that looks pretty damn painful glad to hear the new ones are excellent

• Like 1

So today was an AMAZING day for me, life changing....I was never able to bring the fake hand anywhere near my face, I would say I could not get the hand within 10” of my face.  This means I could never drink from a glass with it, eat from a fork with it, and so on.  Hard to imagine probably, and something that might not have ever crossed your mind.  Its life, and you do what you have to do. It has never been difficult, and I have it easy compared to many, but this new prototype arm that is skin fit, allows me to touch my face with the hand! SUPER excited, and it is something I always wanted to be able to do.  Now that I can touch my face, I cannot wait to get the controls dialed in, and make an attempt at drinking from a glass with the prosthetic hand, it just means so much to me.  I told the man who fabricated the socket for me, and you can see it meant the world to him! It was very cool, he shook my hand when I told him this was life changing, and you could see how he was taken back by it, it was a great moment!  
As far as controlling this arm, you need to create your own pattern of muscle flexes...you create one for opening of the hand, closing of the hand, rotating the wrist in each direction, etc....
you calibrate the hand through a program on a laptop...the arm ALSO allows you to program it on the go anywhere! 
Basically you program the hand by flexing muscles in patterns for each hand grip.  It learns it, programs the hand, and it will work accordingly.  You need to program it with your hand down against your side in a standing position, a sitting position, a position where your arm is over your head, etc....the more you program the arm system, the more it dials in your muscle flex patterns to work how you want it, to work.  Basically the more you program, the more it learns your muscle flex patterns....each muscle flex program gets stored within the arm...so if you program it several times, the arm will figure out a muscle pattern of flexes on what the average is of those muscle flexes...
Does that make sense? 
If you are sitting down with the arm resting on a table, versus standing up with it resting on your side, the electrodes will be contacting my skin with different pressures which can affect the sensitivity in which they decipher what the muscles tell the arm to do...so by programming at several positions of seated, standing, etc, you create a more in-tune control of the arm no matter what your posture is...
Now you can pick your nose with it. But you'll have to be discreet. Some don't take too kindly to nosepickers

10 hours ago, Bill Schmidt said:

Now you can pick your nose with it. But you'll have to be discreet. Some don't take too kindly to nosepickers

Haha, that’s what my arm guy said! I told him I will have to work on flicking it against his walls now lol

2 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Def makes sense. And that the hand learns your pattern makes even more sense and hopefully learning it makes it easier.  Congrats. That's awesome.  We need video of your drinking s draft with that hand!

I hope so pal, and thank you, it will be a cool moment for me

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bionic said:

Does that make sense? 

So very happy for you, now that you have this life changing new arm! I could feel the excitement in you, just reading your post! The way you explained how the electrodes work was perfect. Even a technology dummy like me understood, and that says a lot!!

I am truly amazed at the technology behind something like this. The people who design stuff like this are in a class by themselves for sure! For you to now be able to do something most take for granted, is a wonderful, eye opening experience no doubt. I too, look forward to seeing each and every milestone you reach with your new bionic arm, Bionic!! Great stuff here my friend!