Working on a new prosthetic arm

Bionic

58 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Is there much adjustment time getting acquainted with it ? This is an upgrade I presume   

It is pattern recognition again, like the other study arm.  The difference between the 2 is the first one was skin fit, this arm is held on by a liner, in which you can see pictured.  The liner in this case has the electrode muscle sensors imbedded into the liner, where as the skin fit has the electrodes mounted into the interior of the arm where your real skin touches.

• Like 2

It is pattern recognition again, like the other study arm.  The difference between the 2 is the first one was skin fit, this arm is held on by a liner, in which you can see pictured.  The liner in this case has the electrode muscle sensors imbedded into the liner, where as the skin fit has the electrodes mounted into the interior of the arm where your real skin touches.

Which is better flush fit or liner fit?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

@The Jerkman Skin fit, and liner fit both have their pros/cons as anything else in life.  I like both, and think both fits are better at certain types of usage, than the other.  I hope that made sense...anyway, have only been wearing the liner suspended arm for tasks like running a chainsaw, or other heavy duty tasks, yard work, things of that sort where the prosthesis needs to stay anchored solidly.  The skin fit has been great, it is leaps, and bounds more comfortable than a liner! Its like night, and day of a difference.  What I find interesting, and something that I never expected was that when you wear a skin fit suspended prosthesis, your limb will actually  start to take shape of the socket! It will keep that shape, so NOW after wearing this skin fit for a couple months now, I find my liner suspended arm to be uncomfortable, and a bit snug now! 

• Like 2

[mention=3682]The Jerkman[/mention] Skin fit, and liner fit both have their pros/cons as anything else in life.  I like both, and think both fits are better at certain types of usage, than the other.  I hope that made sense...anyway, have only been wearing the liner suspended arm for tasks like running a chainsaw, or other heavy duty tasks, yard work, things of that sort where the prosthesis needs to stay anchored solidly.  The skin fit has been great, it is leaps, and bounds more comfortable than a liner! Its like night, and day of a difference.  What I find interesting, and something that I never expected was that when you wear a skin fit suspended prosthesis, your limb will actually  start to take shape of the socket! It will keep that shape, so NOW after wearing this skin fit for a couple months now, I find my liner suspended arm to be uncomfortable, and a bit snug now! 
That's wild about the taking shape. And that makes sense. Sounds like both styles can be beneficial depending on intended use

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Jerkman said:

That's wild about the taking shape. And that makes sense. Sounds like both styles can be beneficial depending on intended use

Yes, you are following me for sure, loving the skin fit though! 

oh, a crucial bit of info that I should have added is that the skin fit arms allow for better range of motion.  What this means is my elbow can bend MUCH further, more degrees of elbow bend.  I mentioned this awhile ago.  The liners “bunch up” in the interior side of your elbow(where blood is drawn).  This greatly reduces the range of motion, so the hand ends up being further from your face.  A skin fit, does not use a liner, thus allowing a more natural range of motion....which is why it was a huge thing for me to be able to eat USING the fake hand!

when I see you at GTG, don’t hesitate to ask questions.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

A little update for those interested.  I got a new Greifer hand tool recently.  This new one replaces a very old version that i have used to death.  The new one now has integrated LED lights like Dewalt drills have.  The old light gray griefer still works, but barely, so it is GREAT having a new one that works perfectly!

D2051AAA-40C7-4FA1-AA24-7C1A919E33C4.jpeg

081EF1F1-3BBB-4C7F-8675-BAEAD1707B0A.jpeg

BDB9BAA0-7CBC-4E44-84A4-80AD97315DAF.jpeg

AF4A7012-E401-429C-BD60-770EB8AA3F4B.jpeg

• Like 4

A little update for those interested.  I got a new Greifer hand tool recently.  This new one replaces a very old version that i have used to death.  The new one now has integrated LED lights like Dewalt drills have.  The old light gray griefer still works, but barely, so it is GREAT having a new one that works perfectly!
D2051AAA-40C7-4FA1-AA24-7C1A919E33C4.thumb.jpeg.c28a73736a4b008c95338c03f4fa16a7.jpeg
081EF1F1-3BBB-4C7F-8675-BAEAD1707B0A.thumb.jpeg.08940ecfc7a0114c8f0f25f4cd3ea0f4.jpeg
BDB9BAA0-7CBC-4E44-84A4-80AD97315DAF.thumb.jpeg.849fa21d1c991785ccf452dc0370af72.jpeg
AF4A7012-E401-429C-BD60-770EB8AA3F4B.thumb.jpeg.de977348c6d6dabbe9fb77d04fe57db3.jpeg

Hey! You've had that black one since before the last get together! You've been holding out on the forum!

Sweet! Are those the Skull Crushers we were discussing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

A built in light! How freeking cool is that!!!!

Haha, yeah it’s actually a nice feature! I was thinking how thats quite the gimmick.  However, I have used it, and its nice! It has high, medium, low, off.

10 hours ago, The Jerkman said:

Hey! You've had that black one since before the last get together! You've been holding out on the forum!

Hey! The interest has fallen on its face here, I didn’t want to be the type to keep posting if very few care anymore, lol.  Like old news...not fake news.

oh, and by the way, which one are you referring to? The hand, or clamp type device?  I had the middle finger hand at the GTG, and you forgot about it Mr!

Hey! The interest has fallen on its face here, I didn’t want to be the type to keep posting if very few care anymore, lol.  Like old news...not fake news.

oh, and by the way, which one are you referring to? The hand, or clamp type device?  I had the middle finger hand at the GTG, and you forgot about it Mr!
I'm talking about the new black clamp

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Bionic said:

Haha, yeah it’s actually a nice feature! I was thinking how thats quite the gimmick.  However, I have used it, and its nice! It has high, medium, low, off.

I love it when you think it's going to be nothing but a gimmick but it ends up being very useful. I dont know if its just me but I always seem to be in need of a flashlight. I use my phones flashlight a lot. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

I love it when you think it's going to be nothing but a gimmick but it ends up being very useful. I dont know if its just me but I always seem to be in need of a flashlight. I use my phones flashlight a lot. 

I, too use the cellphone light A LOT.  I am with you on that for sure.  It just works out well, because the clamp hand is for work, and thats when you need a light.

I wanna see some chainsaw vids. Gotta figure out a way to mount leds to mechanics gloves. Coulda used them over the weekend tearin apart a 4 wheeler. 8 ft flouresent lights in the shop and still needed a flashlite

• Like 1