Working on a new prosthetic arm

Bionic

1 hour ago, b3h said:

I wanna see some chainsaw vids. Gotta figure out a way to mount leds to mechanics gloves. Coulda used them over the weekend tearin apart a 4 wheeler. 8 ft flouresent lights in the shop and still needed a flashlite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hear that, NEVER enough light.

I will figure out a way to post up a few videos.

• 3 months later...

Update:  for those interested, I still have not gone forward with a definitive arm.  I still am using the clear arm that is temporary.  Over the past few months I have been experiencing fitment issues.  My real arm has shrunk...only where it sits inside the fake arm.  My real arm has just molded to the inner shape of the fake arm.  This has created issues with the arm feeling secure, and the vacuum that is supposed to be created from a properly fitting socket.  This results in the fake arm slowly sliding off, it never falls off, but i lose the vacuum, and it feels loose on me, pretty annoying actually.  

The hand itself has been holding up pretty well.

Edited by Bionic
  • Sad 3

Update:  for those interested, I still have not gone forward with a definitive arm.  I still am using the clear arm that is temporary.  Over the past few months I have been experiencing fitment issues.  My real arm has shrunk...only where it sits inside the fake arm.  My real arm has just molded to the inner shape of the fake arm.  This has created issues with the arm feeling secure, and the vacuum that is supposed to be created from a properly fitting socket.  This results in the fake arm slowly sliding off, it never falls off, but i lose the vacuum, and it feels loose on me, pretty annoying actually.  

The hand itself has been holding up pretty well.

Serious question although it doesn’t sound that way...what’s the cause of the shrinkage(don’t say cold water!)? I understand the molding to the form -I imagine that’s a good thing. Is it shrinking like you are loosing weight? Or are using different muscles which causes your arm to tone, and then shrink, differently?

And why the delay for the definitive arm?

Oh...one more thing...still no beer can crushing pics/videos?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Serious question although it doesn’t sound that way...what’s the cause of the shrinkage(don’t say cold water!)? I understand the molding to the form -I imagine that’s a good thing. Is it shrinking like you are loosing weight? Or are using different muscles which causes your arm to tone, and then shrink, differently?

And why the delay for the definitive arm?

Oh...one more thing...still no beer can crushing pics/videos?

The limb will just automatically overtime acclimate to the inner socket, so the limb shrinks in circumference.  It is literally as simple as that.  Apparently, its common to need to tweak the inner socket after a few months, or so.  Weight gain/loss can absolutely play a huge roll in socket fitment.

I chose to delay the definitive version, this arm was so comfortable, and I was enjoying the clear arm, so I asked to hold off awhile....glad I did.

lol, I haven’t done any destructive videos.  Thinking maybe I should hmmm

• Like 3

Update! Today I received a phone call from the office that I was chosen to trial a new myoelectric hand for 2-3 weeks starting Wednesday! I’m excited, I plan to add videos to my Instagram, and YouTube.  
You better! I need more videos to watch!

#LessOverzealousMods #WeWantANewMod

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. Jerkman said:

Didn't you see I was the 4th to like your latest video. Your GoPro shit the bed so you filmed on iPhone

My number one fan you are! You passed the test! Thanks buddy 

• Like 1

My number one fan you are! You passed the test! Thanks buddy 
Of course! I follow along. For some reason the arm wasn't fitting as well as it had. Anything cool this new hand does?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dr. Jerkman said:

Of course! I follow along. For some reason the arm wasn't fitting as well as it had. Anything cool this new hand does?

I don’t know much about this new hand, honestly.  I know the creator, created the Bebionic hand though.  We shall see, thanks for the support 

• Like 1

Can’t believe I haven’t seen his thread sooner. I didn’t read the whole thing. No disrespect meant. Dude, you are like a real live terminator. I have so many questions....

How did you loose your arm? My friend Lou lost his in a motorcycle accident. He never got the prosthetic tho. He only has about 4” below his shoulder. 

Can you type with your new hand or do you just use the other? Lou only types with his left hand, obviously since it is all he has. The amazing thing is that he was right handed, had to learn to do everything left handed and that guy still types faster than me using both hands, lol. 

Does your new hand have superhuman strength? Have you tried to see how strong it is? Did you ever “over squeeze” something and squish it?

I don’t wanna be a PITA, sorry if I am. If I asked something that may be...bothersome, tell me to fly a kite and accept my apology in advance. 

I wanna subscribe to your YouTube channel! What’s the link?

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

Can’t believe I haven’t seen his thread sooner. I didn’t read the whole thing. No disrespect meant. Dude, you are like a real live terminator. I have so many questions....

How did you loose your arm? My friend Lou lost his in a motorcycle accident. He never got the prosthetic tho. He only has about 4” below his shoulder. 

Can you type with your new hand or do you just use the other? Lou only types with his left hand, obviously since it is all he has. The amazing thing is that he was right handed, had to learn to do everything left handed and that guy still types faster than me using both hands, lol. 

Does your new hand have superhuman strength? Have you tried to see how strong it is? Did you ever “over squeeze” something and squish it?

I don’t wanna be a PITA, sorry if I am. If I asked something that may be...bothersome, tell me to fly a kite and accept my apology in advance. 

I wanna subscribe to your YouTube channel! What’s the link?

Love this reply man, no worries! All good!

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCeJe9vkUrihdd0xmog8Z0sA

i was born missing my arm about 2” below my elbow.  The electric hands have pressure switches to not crush objects, but they are plenty strong enough to chainsaw, etc! 

You are not at all a PITA, I love sharing this stuff, if you have Instagram, I post very often showing what the hand can do.  Don’t hesitate to ask questions.  I type with my sound hand.

• Thanks 1

Love this reply man, no worries! All good!
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCeJe9vkUrihdd0xmog8Z0sA

i was born missing my arm about 2” below my elbow.  The electric hands have pressure switches to not crush objects, but they are plenty strong enough to chainsaw, etc! 

You are not at all a PITA, I love sharing this stuff, if you have Instagram, I post very often showing what the hand can do.  Don’t hesitate to ask questions.  I type with my sound hand.
If you wanted to could you in fact crush stuff or do the sensors prevent it from ever being possible even if you wanted to

7 hours ago, Dr. Jerkman said:

If you wanted to could you in fact crush stuff or do the sensors prevent it from ever being possible even if you wanted to

What type of stuff we talking? Like a can of soda/beer that’s unopened? If so, no they wont. Empty cans, yes.  There are a couple hands out there that do not have enough strength to hold a jar of pickles, while you twist the cap with your real hand, the whole jar will spin in the hand.  The hands I use don’t have these issues though.  Typically, the hands have plenty of strength, along with adequate rubber finger grips to work with each other to provide realistic grip strength/hold.  The Greifer I use, thats the pinch claw gray tool I use, that will probably pinch through skin, thats no joke that thing, absolute beast.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

Can you override the switches like taking the governor off a golf cart!?

If you can I wanna see you crush concrete!

No, BUT I could rip my arm off and smash it on the ground a guitar at at a concert

• Like 3