Working on a new prosthetic arm

Bionic

For whoever cares, I had another visit today.  Today’s visit consisted of another check of the modified socket after the changes of last visits visit.  I go for another vist in a couple weeks where it will be an all day hangout, fabricating the definitive socket, and so on.  The electronic components are on order, and due in soon.  I always asked for a trial demo hand to use.  It’s a sick hand, we will see what happens....updates soon
Woooo! Getting closer!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Jerkman said:

Woooo! Getting closer!

Yeah man! I saw an arm they just finished up, it was matte carbon fiber, good shape, etc, pretty cool....the guy who fabs them hasn’t built me an arm ever before, so I like to see what his styles are.  Sometimes arms look like crap

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Update:

went for another appointment that was identical to my last appointment for the research study.  I received a text from the co-owner of the office that the prosthetist that has been working with me in the build of the new arm....well his girlfriend was diagnosed with cancer, and he has been out a lot, obviously understandably....well I told her to tell him to not worry about my arm, and to do what he has to do.  

Also, the electronic parts were ordered for the arm, and some were back ordered actually....

just a basic update for those following.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Update:

the gentle fabricating my new arm for the research study, should be completed in 2-3 weeks.  I also just submitted to have a new arm built...when I originally started this thread that was the goal, but I had broken that hand.  Insurance will not fix a hand, then approve the purchase of a new one, which is obviously understandable.  It has been over a year since, so I would like to get a new arm/hand/wrist rotator, etc....

just figured I would update those following 

• Like 5

Update:
the gentle fabricating my new arm for the research study, should be completed in 2-3 weeks.  I also just submitted to have a new arm built...when I originally started this thread that was the goal, but I had broken that hand.  Insurance will not fix a hand, then approve the purchase of a new one, which is obviously understandable.  It has been over a year since, so I would like to get a new arm/hand/wrist rotator, etc....
Bill Schmidt approves this update!

29 minutes ago, Bionic said:

Update:

How long does it take after ordering to get it? Have heard issues with things like this of long waits of like a year. 

Just now, Robhuntandfish said:

How long does it take after ordering to get it? Have heard issues with things like this of long waits of like a year. 

Yes, JUST the insurance approval can take well over a year.  True story, an employee of a huge prosthetic company just finally was approved for a new hand, hand only, after well over a year of resubmitting for insurance approval.  The prosthetics office I use is very good, and keeping a fire under my insurance provider, usually 3-6 weeks roughly to get me approved, pretty fortunate.  Although, my last big expense was in 2013-ish when my last arm was built, so technically I am long over due.  I will say that it never gets easier,  and insurance now always denies the first round of submitting for approval, so keeping fingers/toes crossed.

• Like 1

Just now, Robhuntandfish said:

Good luck. Hope it goes smooth. I've known people that have waited 2 years for a wheelchair.  But sounds like you have a good start and with the prosthetics place. 

Thanks, I believe it, its pretty unfortunate, and screwed up people get denied for wheelchairs for so long.  The lady at the office is a fighter though, have not waited to awfully long thank god.  My parents fought left, and right when I was a kid for this stuff, insurance likes to call these items “luxuries”.  You are very luxurious having two real arms lol 

• Like 1

Gosh I can’t imagine having to fight the insurance company for something so necessary for everyday life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This issue bugs me something fierce. People giving out Narcan shots like they are free but you a valuable member to society struggles to get a needs. Keep fighting!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, crappyice said:

This issue bugs me something fierce. People giving out Narcan shots like they are free but you a valuable member to society struggles to get a needs. Keep fighting!

That is how I feel, honestly. 

The other big issue is that people get arms, hands, knees, feet, etc hearing aids....wear them a few times, hang them up, not wear them at all, then a new device comes out, and they must have it.....so they get more insurance paid items....and the cycle continues.  Now....because of all that, I am required to have my prosthetist office fax over a script with all the good I am looking to get, to my primary doctor for a signature to verify that I truly need requested items.  I understand this, and have no issue with it, but its a joke because the regular medical doctors always sign anything that has to do my arms, and the majority of the visit it the doctor all excited to see a prosthetic arm in action...they aren’t going to NOT sign it.  Also, some hands have odometer like devices inside, that once the hand it Bluetooth connected to a laptop, the prosthetist can see how many times you open/closed, or “cycled” the hand/device...helps with warranty, and insurance.

Also, some hands have odometer like devices inside, that once the hand it Bluetooth connected to a laptop, the prosthetist can see how many times you open/closed, or “cycled” the hand/device...helps with warranty, and insurance.

Who knew? That's actually both pretty cool as well as kind of big brotheresque

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Belo said:

Bionic,

Wondering if you've ever seen the full documentary Charged? This guys was on a meateater podcast and his story is wild.

I have not seen it, I will take a look when time allows, thanks!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Hope they hurry up for you be nice to get well before season, I'm sure it takes a bit of getting use to a new arm no matter how its fitted...

Thanks G!

fortunately, I will continue to use the arm that is painted.  I have a new liner(silicone sleeve that holds the fake arm on) on its way.  The painted arm is what I use to shoot my compound bow.  Crossbow, I don’t wear my arm, sane with rifle.  The new arm will be for lighter duty.  I don’t want to beat up the new arm/hand.  I hope for a quick approval regardless, thanks again G

PS! I tried out your 2 camera tactic on a tree....set 2 sets of 2 cams on a tree for a wide angle view....see what happens 

Edited by Bionic
  • Like 1