Working on a new prosthetic arm

Bionic

I actually like when people can joke about it, as long as its not tacky.  You were wayyyy within the comfort zone.

At the town I work for, we do a corned beef, cabbage, potato, carrot dinner for the senior citizens.  We cook today, and serve tomorrow.  Well we were cutting off the fat on the beef this AM, and this guy was saying how his hand was ice cold from the meat.  Well I too was cutting, so i look up at him, and asked him if his left hand was cold too(my left is fake keep in mind,  and coincidentally he was holding the meat down with his right hand).  Well he looked at me all seriously and said no, only his right hand wad cold, so I said oh good, my left hand isnt cold either(FAKE), I thought it was just me, and I was getting worried.  He was so confused, but it didnt click about my fake arm haha.  Well the other guys were like, you gotta watch him, he will play games with you lol.  He was like OH! And he laughed....you just need to keep things light.  If im uncomfortable about it, others will be too, and I dont want that.  

• Like 2

I know a guy that runs a bait shop who lost an arm in Vietnam and he is so funny! He tells customers he ties his fluke rigs single handedly, or when on the phone he says “I gotta go” and you’ll say why do you have a customer? And he says “Nah, I want to take a sip of my beer”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I know a guy that runs a bait shop who lost an arm in Vietnam Nam and he is so funny! He tells customers he toes his fluke rigs single handedly, or when on the phone he says “I gotta go” and you’ll say why do you I have a customer? And he says “Nah, I want to take a sip of my beer”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

He, and I would have some good fun, by the sounds of it.

4 hours ago, stoneam2006 said:

Damn I missed this thread in the beginning but just read it from start. Bionic this is incredibly cool of you to share and honestly one of the most interesting things I've ever read.

Btw. I too think the house work is badass...

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Thanks! Glad you are enoying it 

Just received the repair qoute.  Arm doc was very surprised,  he said just shy of $2k to repair.

I can submit for insurance to repair, or pay out of pocket.  If i pay out of pocket, then the possibility of a full new arm is possible for insurance to approve.

Lots to consider....or get a new replacement for that arm.

I'm so ignorant of this subject that I clicked expecting to see one an updated claw hand. Incredible technology. Thanks for sharing.

I just happen to be working on a show about a Catskill mountain man and one of his old friends used to be the caretaker for Peg Leg Bates' resort, the only all-black resort in the Catskills.

Peg Leg Bates was a famous one-legged tap dancer.

40 minutes ago, stubborn1VT said:

Good luck with your decision making.  I can see why the doc was surprised.  2K seems like alot.  I guess "hand jobs" are really expensive in Germany!

Honestly, reread back quote a few posts, my arm Dr was surprised at $2k because he expected 5 figure digit repair qoute.  He said this morning he was expecting something like $12k, not just south of $2k.  Its sickening the cost of these things.  $2k is pennies compared to buying a new hand model of whats to be fixed.  Thank you for the support on my decision making by the way.  

Edited by Bionic
Typo as always

1 hour ago, left field said:

I'm so ignorant of this subject that I clicked expecting to see one an updated claw hand. Incredible technology. Thanks for sharing.

I just happen to be working on a show about a Catskill mountain man and one of his old friends used to be the caretaker for Peg Leg Bates' resort, the only all-black resort in the Catskills.

Thats ok, a lot of people do not realize how advanced prosthetic tech has gone.   Exactly my reasoning to create this thread.  Hope you enjoy. 

1 hour ago, left field said:

Although, I do have a myolectric claw thar i wear at work for heavy hand work.   This would give a mean pinch on the cheek lol

20180316_112018.jpg

19 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

I must say, that when they talk about openimg a door, and WATCHING  the prosthetic hand grip the door....I personally am to the point of not having to watch my fake hand on certain tasks, I steer vehicles,  grip the wheel, and can grip thing with a phantom like sense.  The longer you use these things, the more they really "replace", or take place of the lost, or missing limb.

• 4 weeks later...

So, today I decided to repair the broken hand.  

My reasonings are a bit in depth.   Basically, it was $2k to repair, I recently bought a brand new SUV, an ATV, and will be having the exterior of my log home fully restored with blasting, etc.  Point is, I just laid out a lot of money,  so I think the best bet is to simply let insurance repair this hand.  The arm is 5.5 ish years old, and i have never had any electrical issues, or failures with this setup, so I can confident in a repair, on this arm that has had a long life.  The other reasoning is, insurance is expensive,  so why not use it, plus the repair only has a 90 day warranty, which works in my favor for this odd scenario.   Once the 90 day warranty is up, I can wait an additional few months, and submit for a full new arm, that will have a different hand setup on it.  I simply cannot submit for both, for obvious reasons,  because if we just fixed this hand, why should we fund for a full new arm, and hand$$$....

I want to make an additional point, yes i have 2 prosthetic functioning arms now.  One arm, the arm thats going to be repaired, is setup to only be able to function, electronically,  and mechanically with the specific hand attached to it....even a different serial numbered hand of the same make, CANNOT, and will not function on the arm.  The other prosthetic, can use multiple prosthetic devices on it, from hands, to even hooks, and other tools.  This arm, I had built with electronics from the arm it was REPLACING.  The electronics are about 10 yrs old, very dated, and can fail sooner, than later, sort of on borrowed time.   I also use these arms just as hard as my real arm, and hand, so i like to have a prosthetic arm/hand dedicated for work, and a seperate for after work, going out for leisure, etc.  No different than a pair of work boots, and a nice pair of boots to be presentable.  However, the insurance companies do not agree, so you must play the game,  its all legal, but it takes time to aquire such a setup with 2 good arms.  They just do not realize how unique I am, and how i use these arms as if they are real, and live a life as a hard working man.   Sounds as if i am trying to justify myself here, but i just want to stress that I am very grateful for the health insurance I have, and that I do not take advantage what so ever of it.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...