Working on a new prosthetic arm

Bionic

13 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Thanks for the update.  Been wondering 

Not a problem.   The insurance kept refusing the approval to fund repairs.  We still are planning a full new arm though,  probably around winter.  As said before,  my current work arm, was built with all the electronics, from the previous arm I used, basically 11 year old parts, so it is on borrowed time, and I got their money's worth. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stubborn1VT said:

Your reasoning seems sound to me.  Insurance is expensive, and that's what it's there for.  

I can honestly say, I do not take advantage, I utilize my devices as much as possible,  and as said before, have even swapped old parts into new arm shells, for better fit, due to grow, etc.  The insurance would not want to hear this either, honestly,  even though I am using their funded devices well until they are JUNK.  Insurance says you can only have one prosthetic....however, I was able to keep one running so long, that I was able to get a second prosthetic due to the time allowances....insurance does not realize how I utilize these devices, I use them in extremely abusive tasks, i work with my hands, and am outdoorsy,  etc.....its almost obnoxious that I cannot have a "work arm" and an arm for after work, that is presentable.  I need heavy duty devices, that can take abuse,  in which are generally ugly,  and then after work, why shouldn't I have a prosthetic that is life like? Insurance does not understand this.  

Insurance is a bureaucracy.  I'm always amazed that they can take everyone's money and then not want to pay out claims.  

It's not like you can work without an arm!  It's only common sense that you would need a spare.  Hope the Krauts do a fine job on your repairs.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stubborn1VT said:

Insurance is a bureaucracy.  I'm always amazed that they can take everyone's money and then not want to pay out claims.  

It's not like you can work without an arm!  It's only common sense that you would need a spare.  Hope the Krauts do a fine job on your repairs.  

I am with you on that 100%

The problem is, so many people would get, say hearing aids, for X amount of dollars....wear them for 2 weeks, and then they sit unused on top of a dresser, for a year.  Then a new invisible,  sleek style is released,  and they get insurance to buy the.....pattern continues.

Well NOW they have essentially an odometer in the prosthetic hands, that can be accessed to tell how many times the hands been open/closed.  I am all for that, I have zero to hide, the prosthetics office always gets a chuckle out of just how many cycles my hand gets, since I use it soooo much.  

I also have to see my primary doctor now to get a second opinion for the insurance company,  even for something as minor as a ripped glove, which is basically the skin of the prosthetic hand.  Soooo, suring the wait of appointments,  and approvals,  the big dollar hand is susceptible to water, dirt, and dust and can damage the pricey device THEY paid for, lol.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

That stinks!  Sorry hear of the troubles.

I just tinkered with the arm a bit.  It has some water in the arm.  We went for a walk yesterday, and got caught in a downpour,  and I didn't realize this much water got inside.  The hand attaches wirelessly, and once I popped the hand off of the arm, the beep sounded which tells you the system is on.  The wrist connections have drops of water,  hopefully once thos dries, it will be back to normal.

• Like 1

The arm returned from Germany on Friday! 
I have an appointment right after work this afternoon,  and we will get it all reprogrammed,  and back in use.

How many people can say their arm just returned from Germany!!!

Lol.

I’m happy for you. Hopefully the programming goes smoothly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

How many people can say their arm just returned from Germany!!!

Lol.

I’m happy for you. Hopefully the programming goes smoothly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At least part of me gets to travel the world, lol. 

Thank you, usually the programming is pretty simple.  

22 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I was just looking for this thread this morning. Thanks for the update.  Hope everything goes smoothly. 

You are a big reason for why I am updating this.  I remember you throughout the thread looking forward to updates.   So far, so good, the programming is done, and the glove is being warmed up in the oven to go over the hand.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Jerkman said:

I'm diggin the new hand. Looks very delicate and able to have very gentle control holding more fragile items like raw eggs and stuff

You Can't Beat My Meat!!!

Glad it is of interest to you.  This arm, and hand it 6 yrs old.  The white glove pictured is the inner glove, a seperate glove goes over top of that white glove.  I fell on this hand during the winter from ice, heard a snap, and sheared some guides, gears,  and other interior parts within the hand.  You are a good judge, this hand seems very primitive,  and old school compared to other high tech hands on the market.  However, where this hand excells, and in my opinion outdoes all the others is exactly what you mentioned.  I can make this hand open, and close so slowly, that you can see it barely move, to the point you can hear the gears meshing inside.  The hand will move smoothly at speeds where it hardly moves....other hands, including the most popular bebionic, and iLimb hands cannot move this slow, the computers inside cannot recognize the low muscle signals, resulting in the hand moving in spurts.  Pretty amazing.  I started an Instagram about 2 weeks ago where I post mini videos, and such showing my life, and how I use my prosthetics.  

• Like 2

Glad it is of interest to you.  This arm, and hand it 6 yrs old.  The white glove pictured is the inner glove, a seperate glove goes over top of that white glove.  I fell on this hand during the winter from ice, heard a snap, and sheared some guides, gears,  and other interior parts within the hand.  You are a good judge, this hand seems very primitive,  and old school compared to other high tech hands on the market.  However, where this hand excells, and in my opinion outdoes all the others is exactly what you mentioned.  I can make this hand open, and close so slowly, that you can see it barely move, to the point you can hear the gears meshing inside.  The hand will move smoothly at speeds where it hardly moves....other hands, including the most popular bebionic, and iLimb hands cannot move this slow, the computers inside cannot recognize the low muscle signals, resulting in the hand moving in spurts.  Pretty amazing.  I started an Instagram about 2 weeks ago where I post mini videos, and such showing my life, and how I use my prosthetics.  
Definitely need to start following that

You Can't Beat My Meat!!!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, crappyice said:

I think I found your Instagram unless someone hijacked your dinner options!
de5a0f9d9dd0906cd0b2eb1602e642a4.png

Yes, good job, you typed my name in correctly.  

Here's a biscuit.

Are you clock465? Thats with an "L".

Edited by Bionic