Working on a new prosthetic arm

Bionic

2 minutes ago, Dom said:

Yes typo do you have any or the company that made your arm have the knowledge of the lower leg and if so could you point me to a number 

Yes, absolutely! I woukd be thrilled to help you out in anyway I can.  May I ask what exactly you need? Had you asked me about shoes by chance? If so, I totally forgot until NOW.  

As you see pictured it sits at 10 lbs which apparently is comparable to the human arm.  The battery life is feasible though, because something of this caliber, users are not wearing all day.  A lot of myoelectric users only wear devices 3-4 hrs a day.  I am much different in that aspect, I have been wearing mine for almost 37 straight hours....
Hope you take it off to shower and that you do actually shower

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, The Jerkman said:

Hope you take it off to shower and that you do actually shower

Haha, meh showers are overrated.

i put the arm on at 6am yesterday to go to work, stayed at work until noon today, did shower quick, so 10-15 mins it was offfff

Haha, meh showers are overrated.
i put the arm on at 6am yesterday to go to work, stayed at work until noon today, did shower quick, so 10-15 mins it was offfff
Phew. For Jenn's sake I had to ask. Unless she's one of those outdoorsy types that grow out their pits and legs and shower once a month. Or she just has no nose

• Like 1

Hahaha damn you and your lightning wit! I thought I finally got you on the ropes.

Now you want me on the ropes?!? First a pegging..now ropes?!? Stormy...Target still open on Monday? Jerky is scaring me two(or to...too)!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here are more pics of this arm.  As you see the arm it is setup for someone with shoulder disarticulation.  This has a powered shoulder, powered elbow, powered wrist, and hand.  The wrist is very unique,  while the wrist rotating is not unique, it does have powered flexion, and extention, which is very useful.  This arm is controlled by sensors that recognizes the angles/movement of the sensors, sort of like a mercury switch for those familiar.  If you tip your foot forward, a part of the arm will move, if you tip your foot inwards, some other part will move.  All of the movements are customizable to the user to what he/she prefers.  You can customize the length of the arm too.  I do not like the external battery though.  For a setup that I would need, i would need a batter clipped to my belt.  I am not into that.  This arm is simply a power hungry beast.  I think this arm would be the most realistic with pattern recognition software.  That means up to 16 muscle sensors(electrodes), can be programmed for specific hand gestures(grip patterns), or say to bend the elbow, or even pinch an object.  I will be getting into pattern recognition very soon, so this coukd be interesting.  I do not know if I will persue this type hand/wrist from this arm pictured.  Hope you guys enjoy this.

858212D6-2080-4426-B1F4-BB9BFBA12E64.jpeg

71423966-FB3C-4AAD-B30E-25907F281320.jpeg

283436E5-2253-4D5D-AAAE-57B9435B0847.jpeg

951DF168-2EBE-4F10-A512-37BC74834891.jpeg

• Like 3

Amazing piece of equipment. Can the battery be continually charging, say, while driving or plugged into an outlet in an office setting, therefore giving the person extra battery time away from a power source? Perhaps a dumb question, but I had to ask.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bionic said:

Here are more pics of this arm.  As you see the arm it is setup for someone with shoulder disarticulation.  This has a powered shoulder, powered elbow, powered wrist, and hand.  The wrist is very unique,  while the wrist rotating is not unique, it does have powered flexion, and extention, which is very useful.  This arm is controlled by sensors that recognizes the angles/movement of the sensors, sort of like a mercury switch for those familiar.  If you tip your foot forward, a part of the arm will move, if you tip your foot inwards, some other part will move.  All of the movements are customizable to the user to what he/she prefers.  You can customize the length of the arm too.  I do not like the external battery though.  For a setup that I would need, i would need a batter clipped to my belt.  I am not into that.  This arm is simply a power hungry beast.  I think this arm would be the most realistic with pattern recognition software.  That means up to 16 muscle sensors(electrodes), can be programmed for specific hand gestures(grip patterns), or say to bend the elbow, or even pinch an object.  I will be getting into pattern recognition very soon, so this coukd be interesting.  I do not know if I will persue this type hand/wrist from this arm pictured.  Hope you guys enjoy this.

858212D6-2080-4426-B1F4-BB9BFBA12E64.jpeg

71423966-FB3C-4AAD-B30E-25907F281320.jpeg

283436E5-2253-4D5D-AAAE-57B9435B0847.jpeg

951DF168-2EBE-4F10-A512-37BC74834891.jpeg

I was thinking about the battery limitations with something like that .

A solution could be  a special undershirt that has thin lithium batteries  evenly distributed on the body something like a bulletproof vest but  it could be made much thinner  then that , so not to be noticeable. 

If they don't have that already you should recommend  they design something like that  .

Should solve the problem of battery life  With out feeling bulky .

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

I was thinking about the battery limitations with something like that .

A solution could be  a special undershirt that has thin lithium batteries  evenly distributed on the body something like a bulletproof vest but  it could be made much thinner  then that , so not to be noticeable. 

If they don't have that already you should recommend  they design something like that  .

Should solve the problem of battery life  With out feeling bulky .

That’s a great idea.  I know some arms with limited interior room(long residual limbs), use lithium batteries that can be rolled up, and wrapped around internals.

i will keep that idea in my head, I like that.

that top pic of 4 pics, that black box on the right is the battery lol, thing is enormous 

Edited by Bionic

9 minutes ago, Bionic said:

That’s a great idea.  I know some arms with limited interior room(long residual limbs), use lithium batteries that can be rolled up, and wrapped around internals.

i will keep that idea in my head, I like that.

that top pic of 4 pics, that black box on the right is the battery lol, thing is enormous 

Yea that is  radio shackis

They got better stuff out there .

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Merlot said:

Amazing piece of equipment. Can the battery be continually charging, say, while driving or plugged into an outlet in an office setting, therefore giving the person extra battery time away from a power source? Perhaps a dumb question, but I had to ask.

Thats not a dumb question, and the answer might surprise you.  I do not know 100% in this case.  However, with ALL of the other myoelectric devices I own, or have used, the electronic system automatically shuts off, if its battery charger is connected.  Keep in mind 6-7 hrs is not terrible for the majority of myoelectric users, a large portion of the population of users of ALL devices I would say wear them under that 6 hrs daily.  I know a lot do not even wear them daily, or over 3 hrs.  I am unique in this, I wear them every single day on average of 12 hrs roughly.  My skin wear the arm is worn, is good healthy skin, in which has not had trauma from an amputation.  A lot of traumatic amputees have skin that is not as strong, or think, or is very sensitive due to severe damage.  It takes a LONG time to buil muscle strength back up to hold prosthetics in general, and to get the skin to acclimate to the device being suspended from it.  I don’t want to make it sound as the battery life is completely unacceptable because I am sure its plenty for the majority.  I did not think about it at the time, but the battery might be able to unplug from that cord, allowing for a battery swap if need be.  

• Like 1

I’m sure you answered this already, but there are so many pages to go back on. Were you born without the lower portion of your arm? I assume yes, based on your prior comment about having good/strong skin. Also, just curious if it was a genetic thing where other people in your family have the same thing or not?

15 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I’m sure you answered this already, but there are so many pages to go back on. Were you born without the lower portion of your arm? I assume yes, based on your prior comment about having good/strong skin. Also, just curious if it was a genetic thing where other people in your family have the same thing or not?

Hey Biz, yes I was borning missing my arm at 3” below elbow.  I am the only one in the family who is was born like this.  I have never been curious enough to ask why this was to be, for me.  My mom told me that during the year I was born, there was a spike in the amount of babies born missing arms.  I am not sure if it was lefty’s also, never looked into it, but I might.  Coincidentally, just this morning when I got to work, a coworker told me he saw on his FB feed how France is currently experiencing a similar situation.  

EDIT: quick skimmed google search says 1 in 12k-15k can be subjected to amniotic bands getting wrapped around limbs during development, which restricts fluids I guess.  I did read that 1 in 2k babies are born missing all or part of their limbs, even as minute as a partial finger.

Edited by Bionic

Hey Biz, yes I was borning missing my arm at 3” below elbow.  I am the only one in the family who is was born like this.  I have never been curious enough to ask why this was to be, for me.  My mom told me that during the year I was born, there was a spike in the amount of babies born missing arms.  I am not sure if it was lefty’s also, never looked into it, but I might.  Coincidentally, just this morning when I got to work, a coworker told me he saw on his FB feed how France is currently experiencing a similar situation.  
EDIT: quick skimmed google search says 1 in 12k-15k can be subjected to amniotic bands getting wrapped around limbs during development, which restricts fluids I guess.  I did read that 1 in 2k babies are born missing all or part of their limbs, even as minute as a partial finger.

Very interesting. Yea, I’m not really a science guy but assume sometimes it’s simply chromosomes just not matching up or something.

• Like 1

Just now, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Very interesting. Yea, I’m not really a science guy but assume sometimes it’s simply chromosomes just not matching up or something.

That’s all I ever imagined it to be.  It never mattered to me really....it is, what it is.  

• Like 1