Stump removal

Stumps are easy if you left them high 4 or 5 ft.. just tip am over and pull.. if you cut them short your in for a lot of digging..or you can plunge cut several places with chainsaw and soak in desiel  fuel for a few days and burn them.... or blow them up...

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 2

Just plant around them for now, until you can get in and take care of them. Your food plot plus these new "mineral stumps" depending on tree species will aid in nutrition for the deer with the new sprouts that may grow off them.  If you get an adequate trail made, Hire them out or find a buddy with a stump grinder. Or rent equipment to rid them when ready.. I planted around mine, deer still eat there.. I don't plan on driving through it so it doesn't bother me. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

Just plant around them for now, until you can get in and take care of them. Your food plot plus these new "mineral stumps" depending on tree species will aid in nutrition for the deer with the new sprouts that may grow off them.  If you get an adequate trail made, Hire them out or find a buddy with a stump grinder. Or rent equipment to rid them when ready.. I planted around mine, deer still eat there.. I don't plan on driving through it so it doesn't bother me. 

yea i don't know what kind they are but anything a deer will browse then maybe let them sucker and grow. working in and around stumps in plots gets to be a pain in the butt though. depends on if you're doing all the work with hand held equipment or not.

• Like 1

I think I'll just leave them and throw some rock salt on them to kill the stump. I'm going to drag the area so it might make the old drag jump a little but should work, I'm spraying it to kill off what little growth it has. I might do a small controlled burn to get rid of all the junk, I still have time to think about all that but those stumps had me stumped. I just to get out there an finish clearing and cleaning up the 2 spots.

1 hour ago, dbHunterNY said:

yea i don't know what kind they are but anything a deer will browse then maybe let them sucker and grow. working in and around stumps in plots gets to be a pain in the butt though. depends on if you're doing all the work with hand held equipment or not.

Yes sir, in this case i would make it an easier to establish plots like clover, grains or brassicas or something with little maintenance, and to add organic matter. I do all no till, and this seems like a good candidate for that. I should have also said with mine, it is clovers, with the addition of planted White oak, apple and pear trees to turn into a small orchard in a few years down the road. 

13 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

Yes sir, in this case i would make it an easier to establish plots like clover, grains or brassicas or something with little maintenance, and to add organic matter. I do all no till, and this seems like a good candidate for that. I should have also said with mine, it is clovers, with the addition of planted White oak, apple and pear trees to turn into a small orchard in a few years down the road. 

I might go the no till route, the trees are mostly quaking aspen, with a few soft maple. The aspen rot fast so I doubt suckers will grow from the stumps. I have been slowly adding apple trees and pear trees to our yard we are up to 6 total not counting the established 6 wild apple that were already on the property.

4 hours ago, chas0218 said:

I might go the no till route, the trees are mostly quaking aspen, with a few soft maple. The aspen rot fast so I doubt suckers will grow from the stumps. I have been slowly adding apple trees and pear trees to our yard we are up to 6 total not counting the established 6 wild apple that were already on the property.

Aspen is the #1 deer food and they will sucker from roots and stump if cut low enough.. I cleared 5 acres of aspen at ground level and now have a giant browse patch and the grouse love it as well.. red maple are prolific stump sprouters as well.

5 hours ago, chas0218 said:

you have to do no till if you can't really get anything other than a wheeler to it.  spray and drag until you get dirt then broadcast and just drag a white pine branch or something that'd float on top with the wheeler to cover it seed lightly. don't cut the maple yet. get it all going then access if you want to hinge it to steer deer to a treestand location at edge of plot.  otherwise both hard and soft maples will sucker if you leave stump cut several inches above ground. deer like maple. that was actually what MSU deer lab used in their study.

58 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Aspen is the #1 deer food and they will sucker from roots and stump if cut low enough.. I cleared 5 acres of aspen at ground level and now have a giant browse patch and the grouse love it as well.. red maple are prolific stump sprouters as well.

i wouldn't put aspen #1 maybe some deer where you are have a taste for it.  different deer have varying preferences for browse to an extent.  from watching rehabbed deer browse in the same spots up close i've come to that conclusion anyway.

On 2/21/2018 at 1:23 PM, chas0218 said:

So I am getting a late start on clearing trees from my food plots. I was planning on having it all done by march but don't have a ton of time left and no way I'll have the stumps out in time. So how do you guys get the stumps out after felling the trees? I don't have a tractor and/or backhoe, I don't have enough time to dig them all out by hand so that is out of the question. I can wait until next year but really wanted to have them ready to plant come april. Any suggestions would be great. I will have around 20-30 stumps to get out. Also I can't get a grinder back to the plots either.

You didn’t have a plan before you choose the area?

On 2/22/2018 at 12:17 PM, chas0218 said:

They sure sucker, Im most certain. But deer will eat the suckers. Win win temporarily.. As for no till, you can do it all with a hand/backpack sprayer. and however you spread small seed/grains. And all time before a good rain.. 

I can get my ATV back there and use my 30 gallon tank so I figured I would use that and my boomless sprayer. Then drag a little to break up the thick layers of leaves and old sticks. After that throw down some mix and call it done. My plan was to fence in a small section to see how it is growing and compare how much the deer are hammering it.

• Like 1

Chas,

You got a good plan.  I left my stumps 4ft high or so.  IF you get a bulldozer rented, tip them over then.  Don't go too nuts leveling the ground.  Most places have a good 4 to 10 inches of good soil, then crap clay underneath.  It's real easy to destroy a good spot with a bulldozer.

As for now.  LEave them, so you can see them.  IF you do not have one already, buy a quality string trimmer.  You can do a 1/2 acre in a little over an hour.  I use a stihl FR70, about $300 or so.  Buy 2 or 3 extra spools of line, so you don't waste your time restringing.

You got it easier than I had it.  You have an ATV and a sprayer.   A clover cereal grain mix would be great.  Scratch an inch of soil.  Get about 3/4's of the ground you see in dirt.   Then spread 1/2 the clover and the cereal grain.  Cover with one pass.  Then spread the other 1/2 of the clover seed, then do another light pass.

I use an earthway hand spreader.   I mix a half acre spot with 2 or 3 bags of pelletized lime.  Clover is tough to seed straight.  Much much easier to get the right amount of seed spread if you thing it with lime.  Do not over seed. You got left over, save it for spot reseeding, or frost seeding.  I have used tractor supply's plotspike forage feast with good success, as well as their clover.  However, their clover seed is not innoculated with rhibosomes, which is the bacteria that attaches to roots that makes nitrogen for the clover.  So, I mix it in with some coated ladino clover, like whitetail institute.

I use this seeder.

https://www.zoro.com/earthway-handheld-broadcast-spreader-25-lb-1-hole-2750/i/G1343675/feature-product?gclid=CjwKCAiAt8TUBRAKEiwAOI9pAAyAAfNjQDXvKujSRomuivqFx256AhHJfPpsL7IvECuBfebvfRbGIxoCxV8QAvD_BwE

A walk behind spreader needs big tire with low air pressure to work ok.  All the lumps and bumps makes it hard.

Also, If you don't have a spring harrow drag, make one of these.

tire-drag.jpg

Edited by sailinghudson25
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

My grandfather always removed stumps in this manner without any heavy equipment .  Using a 2 inch or so hollow pipe he pounded it into the dirt around the  stump about every 15 inches angled into the stump as deep as he could. He would them fill the holes with corn and molasses. He had 2-4 hogs and fenced them in the area.  The pigs  would go for the corn and molasses by rooting and would dig those stumps completely out of the ground. Then he would cut and split the stumps for fire wood  and the fenced in area would be tilled and fertilized.  The pigs were sold or eaten costing him some whole corn and a couple of gallons of molasses.  Silly as that sounds if you electric fenced in the area leaving them a hay filled shelter (they don't eat they hay or soil their sleeping quarters) and make sure they have water, some extra food, it will work just as easily for your purpose. I used that method  cleaning up a cornfield field I harvested using a 1 row corn picker which left lots of corn on the ground.  The deer didn't mind sharing. I put the pigs in the field Thanksgiving weekend,  left them in it until I sold them in late March.  They didn't need a heated shelter and gained weight better than the stye raised pigs and ate anything green in that field.  I actually made money on the deal.

I would recommend waiting until the ground defrosted before trying this but it does work.

• 1 month later...
Chas,

You got a good plan.  I left my stumps 4ft high or so.  IF you get a bulldozer rented, tip them over then.  Don't go too nuts leveling the ground.  Most places have a good 4 to 10 inches of good soil, then crap clay underneath.  It's real easy to destroy a good spot with a bulldozer.
As for now.  LEave them, so you can see them.  IF you do not have one already, buy a quality string trimmer.  You can do a 1/2 acre in a little over an hour.  I use a stihl FR70, about $300 or so.  Buy 2 or 3 extra spools of line, so you don't waste your time restringing.
 You got it easier than I had it.  You have an ATV and a sprayer.   A clover cereal grain mix would be great.  Scratch an inch of soil.  Get about 3/4's of the ground you see in dirt.   Then spread 1/2 the clover and the cereal grain.  Cover with one pass.  Then spread the other 1/2 of the clover seed, then do another light pass.

I use an earthway hand spreader.   I mix a half acre spot with 2 or 3 bags of pelletized lime.  Clover is tough to seed straight.  Much much easier to get the right amount of seed spread if you thing it with lime.  Do not over seed. You got left over, save it for spot reseeding, or frost seeding.  I have used tractor supply's plotspike forage feast with good success, as well as their clover.  However, their clover seed is not innoculated with rhibosomes, which is the bacteria that attaches to roots that makes nitrogen for the clover.  So, I mix it in with some coated ladino clover, like whitetail institute.
I use this seeder.
https://www.zoro.com/earthway-handheld-broadcast-spreader-25-lb-1-hole-2750/i/G1343675/feature-product?gclid=CjwKCAiAt8TUBRAKEiwAOI9pAAyAAfNjQDXvKujSRomuivqFx256AhHJfPpsL7IvECuBfebvfRbGIxoCxV8QAvD_BwE
A walk behind spreader needs big tire with low air pressure to work ok.  All the lumps and bumps makes it hard.
Also, If you don't have a spring harrow drag, make one of these.

tire-drag.jpg.15f792705755358c152b76bdc7e815a5.jpg
Thats a nice looking drag......what length bolts did you use? How do you keep it from bouncing around vs. digging in?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk