Lasik - Experiences?

Cabin Fever

Been thinking about getting Lasik for the last few years. I HATE wearing glasses and I've been able to avoid them, for the most part, by wearing my contacts. I started a new job last year, where I can't wear contacts, so I've had to wear my glasses everyday. :negative:  Started considering Lasik eye surgery a bit more seriously now. I've never heard of anyone that had a bad experience with Lasik. Thought I'd ask here to get opinions and thoughts from those that have had it done.? 

I had it done in my early 50’s . I was “ legally blind” without my glasses, which corrected my eyes pretty good. But as you know glasses are a pain, particularly on my job , so, I went for it. Came out 20/15 ,20/20 . It’s since diminished somewhat to like 20/25, I’m almost 59.

Now I didn’t  even like putting in eye drops,  anything to do,with my eyes freaked me out a bit. Everything I read by folks who had it done , said the procedure was a breeze, but I was somewhat worried, the operation was a breeze .....

I went to Dr. Allen Robbins, a noted eye Dr in this area, and well known across the country , now he was somewhat gruff, but I wasn’t looking for a pal, just a very good eye Dr.

$1,000 off for police ,fire and military , not sure about former though .

Ill warn you ahead of time, I never knew how wrinkled I was till after lasik , I aged like 15 years, in the 10 minute operation.

• Like 1

Can't recommend it enough. I had it done 22 years ago and before that wore glasses for years.  It's amazing. I was in for about 15 min total and actually in the chair for like 5 minutes.  

Years ago my insurance covered the whole thing.  

Now 22 years later I have to wear glasses for driving for distance and it's a Pita.  I guess ypur eyes still change over 20 years.  But when i had it done I had real bad nearsightedness and came out with 20/20 in left eye and 20/25 in right eye.  

Go for it .  It's amazing what a change it makes for you. Glasses are the PITA for sure.  And now that I wear them again for hunting I realize that again when they fog up or are in the way of the scope etc that it's well worth it and if my eyes decline a little more might look into doing it again. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

I went to Dr. Allen Robbins, a noted eye Dr in this area, and well known across the country , now he was somewhat gruff, but I wasn’t looking for a pal, just a very good eye Dr.

I've heard of many people that had Dr. Robbins do their Lasik and they rave about him and the end result. If I decide to do it, I'll most likely go with Dr. Robbins. 

Do you guys need reading glasses? Without my glasses or contacts, I can see crystal clear up close. When I have my contacts in, I can see great at a distance, but I can't see to read or do anything up close.... PITA! Hoping if I get the surgery and have my distance vision corrected, I'll still be able to keep my close up vision as well.?

• Like 1

Best decision I ever made...other marrying my wife I guess.  Had 20/60 and 20/80 plus astigmatism in the eye with 20/60.  Came out with 20/15 and 20/20 and no more astigmatism.  It's also been about 15 years now.  I think my vision has diminished.  The surgeon did warn me that it would happen though.  The way he phrased it: "I can reset the clock back to zero for you but the clock will keep on ticking.  You can't stop father time".  Once my vision gets bad again till the point where I will need something to function, I will most definitely have it done again.

• 1 month later...

Had my eyes done 9 years ago now. Best thing I ever did. I almost forget that I ever had to wear glasses or contacts. It wasn’t cheap but easily the best $4500 you could spend on yourself. I ended up with 20/15 in both eyes with my right eye almost slightly better than that. I can’t remember what they were before but I couldn’t read anything past 12 inches away before. My buddies call me eagle eye sometimes when I can spot stuff from so far away. It’s made hunting a lot easier that’s for sure!!
I did have one side effect from it though. I’m quite sensitive to bright lights now. I wear sunglasses on cloudy days because it looks so much brighter to me compared to everyone else. Car lights while driving at night do glare a decent amount now but it’s not terrible, just need to focus on where I’m going and not look to close at the lights around me. I also tend to get headaches if looking at a computer screen a lot. I wear dark tinted safety glasses at work because our lights are many and very bright. Other than that lasik has been a godsend.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Cabin Fever said:

Had the procedure yesterday and a follow-up today. 20/15 vision! NICE!! The doctor told me before the procedure that I would need readers. So far, I only need them with very fine print. Wish I had done this years ago...

poke yourself in the eye yet reaching for your glasses that arent there?   lol -- you will!  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

poke yourself in the eye yet reaching for your glasses that arent there?   lol -- you will!  

Not yet! LOL  I'm so paranoid about touching my eyes and disrupting that flap. I'm suppose to wear goggles to bed for the first 5 days, to avoid inadvertently rubbing my eyes. I opted for wearing my sunglasses, as they're a bit sexier than the goggles! B)   

Plus, when my daughter saw me in the goggles, she busted out laughing and said that I reminded her of the guy that played in the movie "Dodgeball"! LOL

Related image

• Haha 1