Fisher

Steuben Jerry

We're seeing them more and more over the last few years. Up until 5-ish years ago, I'd only observed one in my life and had never gotten one in front of a trail camera.

Now, it's still cool when we see them, but I no longer consider it rare. I'm running 10 cams, and I usually have a fisher on one cam or another on almost every card pull.

• Like 2

I think I posted these before, but here's a fisher that had designs on our chickens. Our smaller barn cat got into it with him, and didn't suffer a scratch. The fisher looked to be a juvenile, so I'm not sure the cat would have the same luck with a savvy adult. But we do still have the same chickens, and it (or anything else) hasn't torn the coop up.

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender1.jpg

FullSizeRender2.jpg

Edited by Steuben Jerry
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, sherlockgael said:

I'm not big on cats that cat of yours gets an A+

Thanks! Niether my wife or I ever owned a cat before. Someone dropped one off one evening that we found in our chicken coop the next day. We couldn't find any takers so we let it live in the coop for a bit. Turned out she was pregnant. Only one kitten lived. We took Momma cat and her kitten to the vet and got them spayed and all up to code (shots, etc). Momma cat passed away a few months later. No marks, just found her dead with no apparent explanation. So 4 years later the kitten still lives in the coop in her own clean and heated "apartment". She's the defacto rooster and herds the birds around when we let them out. She doesn't seem to kill much except mice. She'll lay by the bird feeder for hours and never goes after one that I've seen. Very affectionate too. Comes in the house to visit, but wants no part of staying inside. And that's fine by me.

She also seems to get along with whitetails. Now if only I could make use of this info from her somehow..

IMG_2615.JPG

• Like 3