Adirondack's Camping

Moho81

I want to head camping with the family Memorial day weekend. I know I can search google but I figured why not ask the forum because well we have some great guys and gals that live and work in the Adirondack's and would know way more than google ever could. 

I was thinking of either doing a cabin or I can bring a pop up camper or just a plain ol tent(wife approval pending). I dont want it to be like city camping where you have someone right on top of you. If i'm going to the Adirondack's I want to at least feel like i'm camping in the woods but there is no way the wife and kids are doing this without access to a toilet close by.  

Any suggestion's 

I'm coming from Buffalo and would prefer a ride on the short side of the Adirondack's vs. a longer ride father in. The kids 7 and 4 are still not into long car rides. They think an hour is torture and the 14 hours we did to OBX was life threatening to them lol. 

There are a number of places to camp in the adirondacks  and a number of them have outhouses on the campsites.

Some are in good shape and some not so good. I would be hesitant to camp up there that time of year because the black flies can drive you out.

Fish creek state campground just outside of tupper lake in the heart of the Adirondacks and the st regis canoe area with lots of nice ponds to canoe and fish plus they have bath houses with toilets. Also Meacham lake and buck pond. If you can deal with a outhouse their is little green pond free camping with 12 sites but it fills up quick. Plus there is floodwood road near the Saranac inn golf course they have sites on the water and wooded sites there's a lot of sites. There both outside of lake clear ny. Just have to get a permit from a ranger or warden.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

Fish creek state campground just outside of tupper lake in the heart of the Adirondacks and the st regis canoe area with lots of nice ponds to canoe and fish plus they have bath houses with toilets. Also Meacham lake and buck pond. If you can deal with a outhouse their is little green pond free camping with 12 sites but it fills up quick. Plus there is floodwood road near the Saranac inn golf course they have sites on the water and wooded sites there's a lot of sites. There both outside of lake clear ny. Just have to get a permit from a ranger or warden.

Great area, Rollins Pond for us

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

I'm coming from Buffalo and would prefer a ride on the short side of the Adirondack's vs. a longer ride father in. The kids 7 and 4 are still not into long car rides. They think an hour is torture and the 14 hours we did to OBX was life threatening to them lol. 

For what you are trying to do with two little kids I would recommend this one:https://www.reserveamerica.com/camping/nicks-lake-campground/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NY&parkId=699

They have decent camp sites not right on top of each other, bathrooms & showers. I don't think they have cabins but the camp sites are nice for a camper or tent. Nice part about it Old Forge is only a short distance away with plenty to do for the kids and wife.

We took our kids up there when they were about that age.  Their favorite spot was Buttermilk falls, which is just upstream on the Racquet River from Long Lake (actually not a lake but a "wide" spot on the river).  They liked it so much that they still talk about it, almost 10 years later.  The falls are just a short hike from the main highway.  The kids had lots of fun jumping between the rocks at the base.  I can not think of any finer scenery in the lower 48.     

have to add to chimney mtn.  If you decide to go get the lakeside cabin.  It sits the most by itself and right on the water.  The pic of bass was one morning at the end of sept. with 2 other guys for a shore lunch.  Best day ever on the lake was me and another guy in boat - 76 bass.  (didnt keep any)   No motors of any kind allowed on the lake.  

Chimney 2014 (4).JPG

Chimney 2014 (2).JPG

chimney bass.jpg

I have never stayed there, but the cabins below Chimney Mtn. are in a bea

utiful quiet area, and the mountain is a great afternoon hike.

Just north of Old Forge is Limekiln state park, should be reasonable that time of year. Just an alternative, not in the Adirondacks but in my opinion the most beautiful of NY state parks...Wellesley Island State Park, in the thousand islands. It can get crowded in season. the furnished cabins on Eel Bay are great. Just bring your clothes. It might be tricky getting a cabin that time of year. Best part is thousand island fishing or boating!

Anywhere in the ADKS, be aware and prepared for black flies! they will be worse than what you can imagine that time of year: full coverage, head nets, gloves and repellent.

I don't have much experience on the western side of the ADK's but several state campgrounds that I have been going to my entire life are: Paradox Lake (eastern near Ticonderoga), Moffit's Beach (central on Sacandaga Lake in Speculator), Fish Creek Ponds (access to Upper Saranac Lake). Of these Paradox and Moffit's are a little more spread out and wooded. Moffit's has some nice water sites, Paradox does not. Fish Creek all sites are on the water but tend to be right on top of each other - access to Upper Saranac is a plus. My personal favorite is Paradox but it might be a little far for you being on the eastern side of the ADK's.

Oh, and if you decide on a state campground, you should make your reservations ASAP! Holiday weekends fill up fast! 

Edited by MPHunter

I looked through all the suggested places and ended up booking at Lake Eaton. Our first choice was Nick's Lake however there where no sites available for the time we wanted to go which was a common theme amongst all the camp grounds and not much of a surprise. Lake Eaton is about a 5 hour drive for us. While i don't think that bad I'm sure the kids will claim otherwise. 

Thanks for all the suggestions! 

47 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

I looked through all the suggested places and ended up booking at Lake Eaton. Our first choice was Nick's Lake however there where no sites available for the time we wanted to go which was a common theme amongst all the camp grounds and not much of a surprise. Lake Eaton is about a 5 hour drive for us. While i don't think that bad I'm sure the kids will claim otherwise. 

Yeah, ever since the state started advertising to visit the "naturehood", and your "local forest" getting a decent campsite is a nuisance.   Even Maine is a struggle, I have to set an alarm on my cell phone, to remind me the day prior to Maine opening the reservation flood gates up.  I had to have the website READY before 9am when they start accepting, just to get the BEST site in the campground for the week before Labor day lol.  This was February 6th last year.  Within a few hours that campsite was booked solid for the season except for a night, here, and there.  10 yrs ago i was always able to drive right up as a walk in, and get a watersite.  

I hope you, and the family have a nice time,  I always prefer state campgrounds.

The Adirondack museum in blue man lake is a must as is the Adirondack wildlife refuge in Wilmington. Both are within an hr of the campground. When my daughter was younger those shops were he favorite part of the trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

The Adirondack museum in blue man lake is a must as is the Adirondack wildlife refuge in Wilmington. Both are within an hr of the campground. When my daughter was younger those shops were he favorite part of the trip.

Just searched for the refuge that you mentioned,  my girlfriend just last week, sent me a link to a refuge with wolves in Alberta...Wilmington is a little closer, lol thank you!  Do you just make a donation to visit,  or?

Just searched for the refuge that you mentioned,  my girlfriend just last week, sent me a link to a refuge with wolves in Alberta...Wilmington is a little closer, lol thank you!  Do you just make a donation to visit,  or?

I want to say you have to pay to get in but I don’t remember. I know if they served beer at the otter pool I would never leave. Watching them rascals is always a highlight of the trip.

7 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I want to say you have to pay to get in but I don’t remember. I know if they served beer at the otter pool I would never leave. Watching them rascals is always a highlight of the trip.

Sounds like a nice day....we want to see wolves.

My kids love wildlife refuge stuff. I’m hoping to mostly relax and hang out with the family but will definitely need to mix in a couple of activities.

8 hours ago, Moho81 said:

Lake Eaton is about a 5 hour drive for us. While i don't think that bad I'm sure the kids will claim otherwise. 

You might find it is longer than 5hrs. Once you hit the park the speeds are slower because of the highway and it is not unusual to be doing 50 mph or less especially if it is a busy day.

If you want some camping with no amenities the Moose River plains, just north of Eagle Bay and thirty miles south of Lake Eaton,  has some great sites, that will have an outhouse and camping is free. Not much for the kids and it is quite a ways in but well worth it if you are looking to rough it and get away.

Like others have said the Adirondack museum in blue mtn.  lake is a must. You will probably be better off in a campground because the black flies will not be as bad as they would be on the plains.

Beautiful country and a great place to vacation. Another tip...Fill up in Verona if you go that way because the more north you go the higher the gas prices will be

Edited by Steve D

13 hours ago, Daveboone said:

Anywhere in the ADKS, be aware and prepared for black flies! they will be worse than what you can imagine that time of year: full coverage, head nets, gloves and repellent.

I am not so sure about that.  I spent 4 of the last 5 Memorial day weekends up in the NW Adirondacks without suffering a single black fly bite. I never even used any insect repellant.  Most of my time outside was spent on a lake that was loaded with fish which may have something to do with that.

8 hours ago, Moho81 said:

Good choice, you are less than 10 minutes from Buttermilk falls, which is a free "natural" attraction that your kids will love.  I remember the Adirondack museum in Blue Mt being a little pricey and that is about 30 minutes away.