Hog Hunting Texas Style

hugedogleg

Nice hogs.  They hunt them like that a lot in Hawaii. I used a firearm in the fall for them, but am CONSIDERING a dog and knife hunt there  this spring. I've met a number of Hawaiians, who hunt them that way . I think I prefer a rifle hunt, but it is a thought...

Thanks for sharing the pictures.

You will have a blast. One of my hunting buddies did a hunt swap with a guy from Hawiaii. Hawaiian guy came to Texas and dogged some hogs with us and then my buddy went to Hawiaii and dogged some hogs with them. He had a great time. I think the terrain is pretty challenging compared to Texas.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• Like 2

The terrain is challenging where I am considering the hunt. I listened to  a boar recently in the jungles and not sure how my old body would handle running through that area. My rifle hunt was a lot different.

I just began setting up my next hunt for boar and also sheep, but haven't gotten into the details with the outfitter yet. I change my mind a lot on these types of hunts, so we'll see. I haven't finalized anything yet.

I got frost bite on my foot early this winter and missed the NY hunting season so will be glad to hunt again for just about anything that I can set up.

hogs being a problem and lots of food to donate i'd think this way is more practical. dogs are more efficient then longer hours sitting on stand trying to pop one or two at a time.  more fun but i doubt many can afford a helicopter hunting often.
Yes dogs are on the offensive. If you turn them out in fresh hog sign success rate is very high. The meat is delicious. A hog hunt is a great way to fill up the freezer.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I have friends who have done the dog thing on hogs..I would have loved to do it 20 years ago, but  nowadays I'm getting too old for that much excitement...I'd still be tickled pink to shoot them..used to hunt them down in GA, a combo of baiting and stillhunting...If some else would want to pay for it, I would LOVE to shoot them from a helicopter, with a semi rifle or a shotgun...I've seen the videos..Looks likes about as much fun as a guy could have with his clothes on..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hugedogleg said:

Yeah my daughter did the thermal thing this year she tore up some big ones. Now she's on me to get a thermal.7683a5d9ae75b6415a6a2080cc485d56.jpga47b5a280b98c2bbc2507db1ae3e8cf8.jpg

DANG  !!  I want to hunt with your daughter..!!  I don't care HOW we kill the damn pigs !!…<<GRIN>>...

I tried thermal hunting, bored the sh*t out of me, riding around at 3 AM looking for ghosts. I'd much rather hunt them with dogs, a lot more action & more productive. Not that scary, the dog does all the work, you just have to get them by the back legs, flip em on their side, and it's game over. Looks like you fellas have it down, congratulations, looks like you are having a blast!!!

• Like 1

I tried thermal hunting, bored the sh*t out of me, riding around at 3 AM looking for ghosts. I'd much rather hunt them with dogs, a lot more action & more productive. Not that scary, the dog does all the work, you just have to get them by the back legs, flip em on their side, and it's game over. Looks like you fellas have it down, congratulations, looks like you are having a blast!!!
Yeah your right about action. Dogs is where it's at. The only thing about the thermal is you get to choose your hog. The dogs don't care if it weighs 5 pounds or 500 of they find a pig they bay it or catch it. Sometimes when you are catching them with dogs your can catch 8 or 10 and never catch one much over a 100 pounds. Sometimes it's one 200 plus pound pig after another. You never know what your getting til you get there. With the thermal you know exactly what your getting.

• Like 1

Did some hog hunting with dogs when i lived in South Carolina, many moons ago. Good times!!!  Between the snakes, gators, dogs barking, hogs squeeling, running, laughing, cursing, grabbing, rolling and dragging the hogs.......not sure if I can still hang. But would love to do it one more time!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, grampy said:

Did some hog hunting with dogs when i lived in South Carolina, many moons ago. Good times!!!  Between the snakes, gators, dogs barking, hogs squeeling, running, laughing, cursing, grabbing, rolling and dragging the hogs.......not sure if I can still hang. But would love to do it one more time!

Yes sir, that is what I love about hunting hogs with dogs. We took a guy that was in his 80s one time. It has changed a lot, years ago most guys just used big hounds or cur mixes, that would run the dogs to the next county before the hog would bay up; now most dog guys have a catch dog, a lot less running through the marsh, briars and palmettos. The main reason why you stick them with a knife is so that you don't shoot the catch dog, once he or she gets ahold of a hog, they will NOT let go under any circumstances. 

• Like 2