Dicks sporting goods/field and stream

Robhuntandfish

16 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

The more I think about this, the more I realize that I don’t have enough info to assess whether Dicks did what was right FOR THEIR BUSINESS.  I know they don’t want to lose business from anyone that could view their actions as irresponsible or leading to more potential mass shootings.  What percentage of profits come from gun sales?  What would happen if a customer bought a gun there and went on a killing spree?  Those answers play a much greater role in this business decision for Dicks than whether they support AR rights.  Might not like it, but I get it.  I bet they sell way more sneakers to soccer moms. 

Corporately I can''t see how it works for them. Field and stream is big into hunting. Some camping and some boating but then it's fishing and hunting. They have to be looking at 40-50% of that business. It might not be that high in actual AR sales by any stretch but I can't think of a time I have walked in there on the fishing side and came out with anywhere close to the amount spent when I make a trip in for hunting. I know I am looking for the "In their face" moment and they fail miserably. 

• Like 2

You might be right Bob.  My point is that we don’t have the necessary info to even assess the considerations and resulting actions from a business perspective which is what is driving the decisions.  Not sure refusing to support a gun vendor, even one that doesn’t sell ARs or to individuals under 21, helps gun rights either.  Tough one all the way around. 

7 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Corporately I can''t see how it works for them. Field and stream is big into hunting. Some camping and some boating but then it's fishing and hunting. They have to be looking at 40-50% of that business. It might not be that high in actual AR sales by any stretch but I can't think of a time I have walked in there on the fishing side and came out with anywhere close to the amount spent when I make a trip in for hunting. I know I am looking for the "In their face" moment and they fail miserably. 

I bet he thinks he dodged a bullet when he found out they sold a shotgun to the shooter in Florida and he happened to not use it.

But how much  does the AR market account for profit margin; sales are down......

Interview;

4 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

I know dicks has retail store but I never seen a field and stream store .

Btw have not seen a AR in a big box store in 10 years probably. 

Don't think that is nothing new .

They just looking for free advertising getting there brand on the news is worth millions .

I do agree with your statement.  Anything controversial gets noticed... the store's name is out there all over the place.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Jdubs said:

I'll continue to buy all my hunting stuff at Cabela's.. in Delaware.  I can jump on a good sale then use the free ship to store option.  It's like a double F U to both Cuomo and Dick's because there is no sales tax in DE.  

I always thought basspro and cabels were better big box stores then  dicks anyway .

Dicks is a lightweight in that market .

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Federal law says 18 y/o to buy a gun, guns are a Constitutional protected right .

If a bakery can be sued for not making a gay wedding cake, I’m not sure how Dicks can do this .

Exactly what I have been saying.  couldn't agree more.

6 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Honestly I can care less if they carry ARs or not.  That's a stocking , sale issue. Restrictions of not selling firearms to someone under 21 without supporting legislation doesn't sit well with me.  

A 19 year old can defend the Constitution but not live under the freedoms it provides sticks in my craw.  

This last kids age is irrelevant.  Do you think he was gonna be a responsible adult in 18 months......

How can they refuse to sell to a 20 year old, but a cake company be brought to charge for refusing to make a lbgt wedding cake.   

8 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Exactly what I have been saying.  couldn't agree more.

Let dicks do what they want i say let the free market decide if they want to not sell to under 21 I'm sure others will pick up the business actually rather company's  do some self policing then making a new law.  If someone looks like a crazy nobody should be forced to sell them anything. 

Was just listening to Bauerle and Bellavia. Someone phoned in and recounted the tale of a friend who called Dicks to cancel their membership. Dicks employee said he was one of very many cancelling as a result of this latest move. I pretty much stopped going to Dicks after they began asking for proof of citizenship on ammo sales and stopped selling ARs after NY safe.

Time to start supporting the smaller mom n pops I think.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

I always thought basspro and cabels were better big box stores then  dicks anyway .

Dicks is a lightweight in that market .

Completely agree, although the new F&S in Latham is nice.  Now they can pound sand.  I'll take the $2-3k/year normally spent at Dick's and go elsewhere.

• Like 1

The Dick's/Field and stream in Latham had lots of AR's on the shelf last week. 

Seen a few people asking to look at them as I waited my turn.  I'm not sure how this will affect the bottom line. I've talked to a few friends that say they will continue to shop there.  

Called 1-877-846-9997 and canceled my SCORE Card Membership and made sure to leave a note for the management team and the CEO. 

They had a message that they were experiencing unusually high call volumes and I had to wait only about 5 minutes to get someone on.

They lost a customer for life.

I won't be surprised if that CEO is gone by year end and if sales revenue drops by 30%

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bowshotmuzzleloader said:

Walmart just annouced it will raise the sale of firearms to 21 

I wonder if the armed services will follow suit ? Ya know in the name of safety and all .

A sad day in America........ A father has spent his whole life anticipating the day he could take his son, daughter, or eager member of the family hunting with him. He raises him or her with the importance of safely handling a gun and being responsible. He accompanies him or her to their hunting safety classes and is as proud of them as they are proud of themselves.

To make it complete the dad, uncle, grandfather, cousin or whatever would like to buy him or her their first own gun or the kid has worked summer jobs and saved up the money to buy his or her own .  Because he is not a rich man or the kid has only saved so much they go to a "big box" place such as Dick's, Field & Stream, or Walmart and is not able to buy the gun because he or she is not 21.

They have not only diminished our right to buy a gun but have also put a dent in our heritage and tradition.

I for one do not buy much if any equipment or supplies at these stores but on occasion do stop if they have a decent sale or have something I really need. I will never keep the wife out of Walmart but Dick's and Field & Stream can stick it. I don't care if they are giving it away I will go elsewhere.

We can only hope that more do not follow suit. Whatever happen to tradition:mad:

• Like 1