Dicks sporting goods/field and stream

Robhuntandfish

Blows. Being in Long Island the field and stream was the easiest option to stop in and get little things here and there for hunting, especially last minute. 

If they had simply decided to stop selling ARs it'd be fine. But to come out and basically say they agree that assault rifles are bad and should be banned is where they lost me. 

• Like 3

I don't think gun are a major percentage of the sales at Dicks. Honestly whenever I'm in there the gun dept is never that busy. There are some changes coming, even was said by the President he wants 21 to be the legal age to buy a gun. It's fine by me. 

Walmart just jumped on the ban wagon to no ammo or guns under 21 not that they sold guns in NY here for a while but this crap is getting crazy I fear this is gonna be a Cascade affect everybody's gonna start doing it and let's not forget the bill floating around in Senate about being able to only buy 20 rounds every 90 days here in NY FUAC

• Like 1

I have never seen Dicks as a "go-to" place for hunting gear, and so they will not be missing my business in their stores. Now Field and stream was a different story. They had selections and reasonable prices on their hunting supplies and accessories, and I have spent considerable amounts of cash there. That has now ended. I wish them well, but their success will have nothing to do with my support. We have enough enemies outside the industry without having their deceit inside the industry. And I can do very well without ever setting foot in their businesses.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, silent death said:

Walmart just jumped on the ban wagon to no ammo or guns under 21 not that they sold guns in NY here for a while but this crap is getting crazy I fear this is gonna be a Cascade affect everybody's gonna start doing it and let's not forget the bill floating around in Senate about being able to only buy 20 rounds every 90 days here in NY FUAC

How will that work? .22 ammo comes in 50 round boxes. Shotgun ammo such as bird shot comes in 25 round boxes.

I haven't bought much for hunting items from Dicks, and still have not put a foot in the F&S store in Latham. The fiancee did get a great deal on .22LR CCI Stingers at F&S on Black Friday, but I was not with her.

Now, I will not step foot inside F&S, and I was never a huge fan of Dicks.

Wallyworld, that's a different story for me. Our dog is allergic to just about everything, to buy dry food for her is like $200 for a 25 LB bag. So we just make/cook her food. I can get whole chickens in a two pack there for around $12, huge box of rice for $5, and veggies depending on what we cook for her pretty reasonable. We ( my fiancee and I ) cannot boycott WalMart, sorry.

I didn't mind when I heard they stopped sales of AR's. It's a free country, they can sell what they want. But to lobby for a ban? 

Ive been a pretty good customer over the years, but now they sound like an enemy.

I've never really boycotted anything before. Good time to start.

• Like 2

I don't think gun are a major percentage of the sales at Dicks. Honestly whenever I'm in there the gun dept is never that busy. There are some changes coming, even was said by the President he wants 21 to be the legal age to buy a gun. It's fine by me. 
Your also being a hair short sighted, I spend a considerable amount of money every year at Dick's up until now, I rarely bought firearms from them but firearms is not where the real money is, it's the accessories (ammunition, scopes, slings, cleaning kits etc...). What youre not taking into account is how many sales they will lose from less foot traffic. I worked retail firearms sales full time for 8 years so I have a pretty good handle on margins and what happens when sales are down. Not to mention I bought a lot of archery/fishing/hunting equipment at dicks previously, that will also stop, it's not "just" firearms where the sales will drop, will all of this shut their doors? Probably not, but I think dicks has been on the way out for years anyhow and this is just another nail in the coffin. The only thing for certain is they will not get another $1 from me and I can only hope sportsmen around the country do the same.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, chrisw said:

Your also being a hair short sighted, I spend a considerable amount of money every year at Dick's up until now, I rarely bought firearms from them but firearms is not where the real money is, it's the accessories (ammunition, scopes, slings, cleaning kits etc...). What youre not taking into account is how many sales they will lose from less foot traffic. I worked retail firearms sales full time for 8 years so I have a pretty good handle on margins and what happens when sales are down. Not to mention I bought a lot of archery/fishing/hunting equipment at dicks previously, that will also stop, it's not "just" firearms where the sales will drop, will all of this shut their doors? Probably not, but I think dicks has been on the way out for years anyhow and this is just another nail in the coffin. The only thing for certain is they will not get another $1 from me and I can only hope sportsmen around the country do the same.

so are you not spending another $1 at walmart too?  - same thing will happen at more and more places.  Dicks was just a tip of the well...dick!  lol pun intended.  SO do you not fly delta, does this take away your vote for trump?  as he made statements that he wants the 21 year fed age to pass and isnt afraid of the NRA........it will only increase.  We are the minority on this stuff.  And the voices are really loud and heavy right now. 

Wasting your breath. He is in the “go ahead and ban what I don’t have group”
  • Like 3

It's sickening that we are not hearing real common sense solutions, but instead blame 'assault weapons' and the current age law, thinking if we can just get rid of the bad guns and change the age, that will fix it all.  Any pissed off, disturbed kid can pull his grandfather's bird gun off the wall and grab a few boxes of buckshot and get similar results. What then?

Why don't we start protecting our schools???? Why don't we hear major talk about metal detectors, school guards, programs to steer kids in the right direction, programs to teach our children to speak up when they hear someone mention they wish to bring harm to everyone in the school? There has obviously been a slow steady decline in values, respect for others, discipline and taking ownership of one's life. What can we do to turn that around? What effect do the video games have, where young kids sit and shoot other human beings over and over an over have on one's mind at a young age?

I pray our country can come up with some real solid solutions to protect our school children and turn this thing around.

• Like 6

Walmart is not marketed as a sporting goods store like field and stream is. Thats the difference. Field and stream is showing that they are not like minded with their customers IMO.  I will do my hunting and fishing business elsewhere. Field and stream making the decision they did will only encourage gun laws that hurt law abiding citizens. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisw said:

Again I don't think it will hurt margins. Hell they took those guns out after Sandyhook and all you guys were up in arms but went back. The same will happen here. It's a pimple on a bulls ass. 

7 minutes ago, First-light said:

Hell they took those guns out after Sandyhook and all you guys were up in arms but went back.

Not me and will not and have not entered their stores! When I hold a grudge I hold it unless there is a meaningful change!

Al

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, First-light said:

Again I don't think it will hurt margins. Hell they took those guns out after Sandyhook and all you guys were up in arms but went back. The same will happen here. It's a pimple on a bulls ass. 

I don't have an issue with any business making a decision to carry or not carry product. Have at it. The arbitrary increase of age and their statement calling for bans is my issue. Their decision is clearly a PR stunt. If they were truly concerned about the youth and gun violence and not just pandering, they would have removed handguns, since that is where the real statistics are. 

• Like 4