Dicks sporting goods/field and stream

Robhuntandfish

The slide down the slippery slope begins when "some of our civil liberties need to be given up." Once the slide starts, the end is predictable. I wonder how much of their constitutionally protected freedom of the press liberties the anti-gun news media would be willing to give up.

valoroutdoors.com

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Why, so some legislators feel good? It doesn't solve anything. Why should I have to give up my civil liberties, I didn't do anything wrong.

And that is it in a nutshell! You have a small group of nutcases that can be virtually counted on your hands having committed mass shootings and the solution wanted by many is take away gun rights of millions and millions of law abiding gun owners who did absolutely nothing wrong! There is nothing that gets my goat or angers me more than taking a fall for an incident I had nothing to do with.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Federal law says 18 y/o to buy a gun, guns are a Constitutional protected right .

If a bakery can be sued for not making a gay wedding cake, I’m not sure how Dicks can do this .

probably the whole discrimination thing. i agree with you, but not sure this is a battle we will ever win.

5 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

so are you not spending another $1 at walmart too?  - same thing will happen at more and more places.  Dicks was just a tip of the well...dick!  lol pun intended.  SO do you not fly delta, does this take away your vote for trump?  as he made statements that he wants the 21 year fed age to pass and isnt afraid of the NRA........it will only increase.  We are the minority on this stuff.  And the voices are really loud and heavy right now. 

it's harder and harder to shop today lol. I can't even keep track of where I'm supposed to shop anymore.

walmart was always pretty good, but they don't pay their employees?

target removed boys and girls toy sections so i'm supposed to boycott them?

dicks and field and stream are one of the last brick and mortar hunting stores. they support olympians and help advocate for hunters but I can't shop there now.

chick fil a and hobby lobby believe in jesus so that's bad i guess lol.

i can't fly delta, united or basically rent any car.

nike uses sweat shops so that's bad.

most food is engineered with monsanto products so that's bad

flu shots are mind control so that's bad.

NY and Cali are liberal bastards so you're not even allowed to live there

what did i miss? :)

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Belo said:

it's harder and harder to shop today lol. I can't even keep track of where I'm supposed to shop anymore.

walmart was always pretty good, but they don't pay their employees?

target removed boys and girls toy sections so i'm supposed to boycott them?

dicks and field and stream are one of the last brick and mortar hunting stores. they support olympians and help advocate for hunters but I can't shop there now.

chick fil a and hobby lobby believe in jesus so that's bad i guess lol.

i can't fly delta, united or basically rent any car.

nike uses sweat shops so that's bad.

most food is engineered with monsanto products so that's bad

flu shots are mind control so that's bad.

NY and Cali are liberal bastards so you're not even allowed to live there

what did i miss? :)

Under Armor left their sponsored hunters hang out to dry for hunting legally.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steve D said:

A "so called hunter" supporting gun bans and age limit restrictions claiming to be from the Finger Lakes Region.....What an idiot.

In fairness, many, many hunters do not own AR style rifles. I know I don't. I am still very much on the pro 2nd amendment train. But I do not think it's fair to say a hunter has to be super pro gun. I'm the only one in a long line of hunters who even has a pistol permit. There are many outdoorsman and hunters who are the same. They own a few long guns and that's it.

again not saying that's how I feel, but i also don't think it's fair to assume a hunter must be all on board either.

• Like 2

We will loose our right to own gun. It's going to happen. The current president can't protect us for ever. The next might be king Andy.  What do you think he would do if he was president right now? 

Everytime something like this happens, the publics opinion on guns in general takes a hit. This last shooting, really hurt the 2a. 

As far as Dick's and F&S.  This isn't going to hurt them a bit.  

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

That is funny.  I never bought a gun at a big box store.  Biekirchs, Eurooptics, DD Ranch, used, victor pro guns.  Never even realized that until you mentioned it.

long guns only. when i look back at the boating accident i would say more of my firearms were not big box than those that were. 

17 minutes ago, Belo said:

But I do not think it's fair to say a hunter has to be super pro gun.

I agree with you. But...

I don't have any handguns. Just never been bit by the bug to get one yet. But as part of the gun enthusiast fraternity, I would never say go ahead and take handguns as it doesn't affect me. After all, who hunts with a handgun? Probably the minority.

• Like 1

I agree with you too , but the  2A is not  about hunting, and frankly I could stop hunting long before I’d give up my guns .

The thing some may need to remember is hunters are a tiny tiny number of gun owners , if hunters by and large abandon the gun rights fight,well there’s an eight fold times as many gun owners who don’t give a carp about huntIng.

Already many gun forums are grumbling about the Fuds. Stand united !

Im off to the bank as my NRA visa of 25 years is no longer going to exist , I guess they won’t come for guns either lol .

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

What were you planning on buying? I shop at FishUSA.com and local shops now.

Cool. Thanks for the link I'll check them out.  Nothing too crazy. My nieces wanted to try fishing so I'll prob tag along and take my son as well. 

56 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

I agree with you. But...

I don't have any handguns. Just never been bit by the bug to get one yet. But as part of the gun enthusiast fraternity, I would never say go ahead and take handguns as it doesn't affect me. After all, who hunts with a handgun? Probably the minority.

Understood. I just don't want to see other hunters beating up on each other because one is in favor of better background checks or doesn't feel strongly about saving the AR. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

I agree with you too , but the  2A is not  about hunting, and frankly I could stop hunting long before I’d give up my guns .

this might be an interesting poll. I bet it's not as pro gun as you think. I don't know where I land, but I do know I could only archery deer hunt and be happy. Now of course turkey and birds require a gun... and I'm not sure I could ever give up the right to protect my family.

interesting though.

One of my problems is the antis always say we don’t compromise , yet I’ve never been offered one. Trying to take 6 things then settling for 4 is not a compromise.
Im sure not for giving up semis, but if I was offered National reciprocity I may consider some other things .
Off to Beikirchs in a bit .....

As soon as I heard trump bring up the 21yrs old crap the only thing I thought of was he may be a genius because he will propose that and national reciprocity at the same time and if/when the dems shut it down he will come out looking like the good guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

i went to F&S/Dick's last night after work to see for myself. They basically pulled almost every semi-auto and AR off the shelf. only some semi-auto waterfowl shotgun setups where there for semiauto long guns.  Still had tactical/sniper bolt guns to know end, pump shotguns with mags, and cases all around and full of pistols of all kinds. feel good BS. i had a nice talk with the gun counter people who were there and left. it was kind of an awkward convo though and i felt a little bad for them.

Edited by dbHunterNY

DKS if you look at their 10K and annual reports are beginning to minimize how they document revenue via segments.

The truth is, about 8 years ago, their hunting and fishing segment was growing at a clip outpacing growth in their bread and butter - shoes. At that point DKS went all in, bought naming rights for F&S, then began a plan of expansion into specialty stores for hunting, fishing, and outdoors gear to compete with Cabelas, Gander and BPS. At that time, Cabelas and BPS were being leveraged very heavily by a trend of having gargantuan stores, with each new store becoming more amazing than the next; however, financially, the revenue per square foot was dwindling. Industry practice started to show that smaller, more condensed stores with smaller square footage resulted in a higher revenue per sq/ft, a KPI within the brick and mortar industry.

DKS realized they perfectly timed the market to launch stores in the new model (if you notice F&S is about the same sq footage as the newer Cabelas and non-flagship BPS stores). This would allow them to leverage and scale up quickly as BPS and Cabelas fought the bloated fixed and utility costs of larger store footprints, and moving themselves to these smaller sizes.

For some reason, and I am not sure exactly why, but as soon as DKS did this, they starting experiencing de-leveraging of their outdoors sales. Growth halted and contraction began. DKS was heavily invested into something that all of a sudden became a drag on the business. They had to forge ahead for business purposes because they had already invested in space and were "pot-committed."

Fast forward to now a few years later and that segment is still shrinking for them. I believe this choice is two-fold - one, it minimizes risk that could be big from a small revenue source (AR sales and overall firearms sales). Second is, this may be the perfect narrative to build around either an exit strategy, a spin-off, sale, or reduction in segment investment. Add to that taking a stance to reflect values...and it's a no-brainer for DKS. Take the hit from backlash now while the stock is being hammered anyhow, it'll get buried in noise, and maybe they resurface with less segment focus or no segment at all. Their other segments are doing OK, save for online competition.

• Like 1

I wonder how many consumers are like me. Once I stop patronizing a store based on incompatible principles, I tend to stay out of those stores completely even on unrelated products. I also cannot remember ever reversing that choice. So stores such as Dicks or Field & Stream have really not lost any gun sales with me because I would likely never buy a firearm there. But they have most clothing and footwear sales and archery purchases, camping supplies, and ammo and reloading supplies and equipment, and any number of other outdoor related items because I will never again see the inside of their store. Multiply that times untold numbers of hunters and gun owners who also feel betrayed, and I have to wonder how many millions of dollars in lost revenue that represents.

Edited by Doc
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

As soon as I heard trump bring up the 21yrs old crap the only thing I thought of was he may be a genius because he will propose that and national reciprocity at the same time and if/when the dems shut it down he will come out looking like the good guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He said no to adding national reciprocity in the meeting referenced. He killed it before it even was suggested. 

He is officially against us all. 

• Like 1

I’ve never bought a gun at Dicks. But each Christmas  I buy 8, $50 gift cards ,and other assorted gifts. Last year 10 Yeti large tumblers for gifts to for the guys at work and the land owners .

Often get clothes for our daughters there as well .

Easily spend a grand or so there each year.

As the Raven said,never more !

1 hour ago, phade said:

DKS if you look at their 10K and annual reports are beginning to minimize how they document revenue via segments.

The truth is, about 8 years ago, their hunting and fishing segment was growing at a clip outpacing growth in their bread and butter - shoes. At that point DKS went all in, bought naming rights for F&S, then began a plan of expansion into specialty stores for hunting, fishing, and outdoors gear to compete with Cabelas, Gander and BPS. At that time, Cabelas and BPS were being leveraged very heavily by a trend of having gargantuan stores, with each new store becoming more amazing than the next; however, financially, the revenue per square foot was dwindling. Industry practice started to show that smaller, more condensed stores with smaller square footage resulted in a higher revenue per sq/ft, a KPI within the brick and mortar industry.

DKS realized they perfectly timed the market to launch stores in the new model (if you notice F&S is about the same sq footage as the newer Cabelas and non-flagship BPS stores). This would allow them to leverage and scale up quickly as BPS and Cabelas fought the bloated fixed and utility costs of larger store footprints, and moving themselves to these smaller sizes.

For some reason, and I am not sure exactly why, but as soon as DKS did this, they starting experiencing de-leveraging of their outdoors sales. Growth halted and contraction began. DKS was heavily invested into something that all of a sudden became a drag on the business. They had to forge ahead for business purposes because they had already invested in space and were "pot-committed."

Fast forward to now a few years later and that segment is still shrinking for them. I believe this choice is two-fold - one, it minimizes risk that could be big from a small revenue source (AR sales and overall firearms sales). Second is, this may be the perfect narrative to build around either an exit strategy, a spin-off, sale, or reduction in segment investment. Add to that taking a stance to reflect values...and it's a no-brainer for DKS. Take the hit from backlash now while the stock is being hammered anyhow, it'll get buried in noise, and maybe they resurface with less segment focus or no segment at all. Their other segments are doing OK, save for online competition.

Again I have no problem with them deciding what their proper product mix is to maximize sales or profits. 

It's when they urged congress to push for a ban on all assault weapons that they crossed the line. 

5 hours ago, Belo said:

In fairness, many, many hunters do not own AR style rifles.

Also in fairness there are also many, many, hunters that DO own AR type rifles and hunt with them. While I agree they are not for everyone it shouldn't be assumed that everyone that owns one is going to go out and start mowing down people with it. It is VERY popular among coyote, bobcat, and fox hunters especially in the west. It is one of the few weapons that can be changed from a .223 varmint  gun to a .308 (or other caliber) deer rifle, back to a .22 in a short amount of time.

That is one of the main reasons it is so popular and not because of it's killing ability.

• Like 1