Dicks sporting goods/field and stream

Robhuntandfish

I’ll take that bet ! Name the amount minimum I’d do is $100 anything over $1,000 a nutral party can hold the $ and give to  the winner based on membership in say 3 months .

But it’s really unfair of me , as I know the Google search of how to,join the NRA is through the roof .

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

I’ll take that bet ! Name the amount minimum I’d do is $100 anything over $1,000 a nutral party can hold the $ and give to  the winner based on membership in say 3 months .

But it’s really unfair of me , as I know the Google search of how to,join the NRA is through the roof .

sure, since I shot my mouth off I'll go $120...lol, but I'm good for it.

Their stock is still up a bit today and I doubt this will hurt their business over the long term, most people talk a tough game but will be back at thier doorstep in a few short months and they sell more than hunting accessories and guns,, I certainly understand some will never go back but that IMO will be a low percentage compared to the who they where targeting with this move,, just saying...

8D2480B2-96B6-4B51-B518-3E2710DC7B7A.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jjb4900 said:

sure, since I shot my mouth off I'll go $120...lol, but I'm good for it.

Let’s just make it a gentleman’s bet, I’m so,sure I’ll win .

Tell ya what loser sends $20 to the NRA ? 

2 hours ago, jjb4900 said:

I wonder if Trump and the NRA are having discussions on what should be done, I really don't doubt that is a possibility...I'm willing to bet the NRA has lost as many members as it has gained recently.

Really I bet your wrong  this is going to increase NRA membership and gun ammo  sales like crazy   the other side is acually in the minority and will forget about this  in week. Why because in reality it doesn't affect them one way or the other it is just something they see on tv .

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Belo said:

i lived in the south for 2 years and that's all we shopped at (it's basically wegmans). I had no idea they even sold guns. Must be a few mega stores like walmart out there.

Kroger's food store doesn't sell firearms. Fred Meyer store does sell firearms and ammo afiliated with Kroger

• Like 1

Fyi

What’s more, Dick’s is reducing its exposure to a business that is shrinking anyway: its overall hunting business, which encompasses firearms, has been declining with sales down by a double-digit percentage for a few quarters now. And it’s not just Dick’s; industry wide, sales are flagging in the absence of fear among gun owners that President Trump and Republicans will push for new laws. For the full year in 2017, background checks by the FBI, a proxy for gun sales fell 8.4% to 25.3 million. Earlier this month, Remington Outdoor, a major manufacturer of firearms, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protectionafter an extended sales slide.

In Dick’s case, Wedbush Securities estimates that the whole hunting segment, not just firearms, make up only 10% of company sales and that the moves announced by Dick’s would have at most a small impact on sales, with the biggest threat coming from a hit to store traffic. What’s more, even if there is a backlash, it might not be that big: a new POLITICO/Morning Consult poll shows support for stricter gun laws among registered voters at 68%, well above the 25% who oppose such laws. (To be sure, such support typically soars after a mass shooting.)

11 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

In Dick’s case, Wedbush Securities estimates that the whole hunting segment, not just firearms, make up only 10% of company sales and that the moves announced by Dick’s would have at most a small impact on sales, with the biggest threat coming from a hit to store traffic. What’s more, even if there is a backlash, it might not be that big: a new POLITICO/Morning Consult poll shows support for stricter gun laws among registered voters at 68%, well above the 25% who oppose such laws. (To be sure, such support typically soars after a mass shooting.)

I would love to see the questions that were used to determine that. Take myself. If asked if I supported any provisions for stricter guns laws and were given mandatory background checks nationwide and  on private sales, I would end up in the 68%. 

• Like 1

L.L Bean went to age 21 also.  Does anyone think that Cabelas and Bass Pro will follow?  I surely don't have a clue, but wonder if people would also boycott them?  If they did go to age 21, I don't think it would be too long before small gun dealers went that route also.  I think many of the small dealers would be afraid to sell to anyone under 21 thinking that if the person they sold to committed a crime, they'd be sued by everyone and their uncle.  Especially since everyone else isn't selling to those under 21.  The risks may be too high for them.

29 minutes ago, steve863 said:

L.L Bean went to age 21 also.  Does anyone think that Cabelas and Bass Pro will follow?  I surely don't have a clue, but wonder if people would also boycott them?  If they did go to age 21, I don't think it would be too long before small gun dealers went that route also.  I think many of the small dealers would be afraid to sell to anyone under 21 thinking that if the person they sold to committed a crime, they'd be sued by everyone and their uncle.  Especially since everyone else isn't selling to those under 21.  The risks may be too high for them.

It's prob not gonna matter cause the fed is gonna set it to 21. 

Honestly I get their caution especially with the suing culture we have. I don’t fault them for that. I said before I don’t really care if they decided not to carry a product. My issue really is with their public stance calling for bans
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

18 stuck.  21 for drinking as well. Etc.  

The constitution is silent on drinking rights. 18 is legal majority in most States apart from Alabama where it is 19

Without an amendment it is illegal to deny adults their constitutional rights. Private stores can set their own rules however but this will not stick as federal law.

Edited by Papist

2 hours ago, steve863 said:

Here is one to chew on a bit when considering if they are just doing this shit for PR purposes.  According to the FBI Crime statistics. Of the know murderers (not just firearms but all) in 2016 only 16% was committed by under 19 years old. Age bracket 20-24 had 24% and age 25-29 had 18%, Age 30-34 was 12%, Age 35-39 is 9% and then is starts to significantly drop in the older age brackets. It doesn't appear that the  under 21 would have the desired effect. (assuming the criminals would abide by the laws anyway) Or the other side of the coin is that maybe the real age should be 40? 

52 minutes ago, Papist said:

The constitution is silent on drinking rights. 18 is legal majority in most States apart from Alabama where it is 19

Without an amendment it is illegal to deny adults their constitutional rights. Private stores can set their own rules however but this will not stick as federal law.

I bet it passes and sure hope your right, but fear that this will stick.