Scariest experience or encounter in the woods or on the water

wooly

Was out fishing with my.grandfather in his 16 ft v hull aluminum boat. Out on lake Erie out of sturgen point. Had a good few hours fishing. Waves were less than a foot.. then a t storm came in winds kicked up we were a mile off shore with a 35 hp. Motor next thing I knew a water spout is less than 75 yards off the bow 

I was holding on to both side for dear life ..we made it back barely with a good foot of water.or.more in the boat.. was the last time I've ever been on lake erie.. I was 14 or 15..never again

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

We Bayed and caught about a 300lb sow sow last year. She was in kind of a cave of briars. I dove through them to grab her and was laying on my belly. I had her but wasn't really in position to do much with her. About that time I hear brush rustling behind me. A hog about 100 lbs stuck his nose right in my a$$. I couldn't turn loose of the sow so all I could do was squall and kick my legs. The pig lost interest and rolled out thank goodness cause I was in a nine line bind I guarantee you ha.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

We Bayed and caught about a 300lb sow sow last year. She was in kind of a cave of briars. I dove through them to grab her and was laying on my belly. I had her but wasn't really in position to do much with her. About that time I hear brush rustling behind me. A hog about 100 lbs stuck his nose right in my a$$. I couldn't turn loose of the sow so all I could do was squall and kick my legs. The pig lost interest and rolled out thank goodness cause I was in a nine line bind I guarantee you ha.

This is the sow. Keep in mind I'm 6ft3 and weight 28008385d7ad5bd24179de6a5e9c339b597.jpg

I haven't told many people this story but I feel like I can share because Moog was so brave. Anyway,...Japanese submarine slammed two torpedoes into her side, Chief. We was comin’ back from the island of Tinian to Leyte. We’d just delivered the bomb. The Hiroshima bomb. Eleven hundred men went into the water. Vessel went down in 12 minutes.

Didn’t see the first shark for about a half-hour. Tiger. 13-footer. You know how you know that in the water, Chief? You can tell by lookin’ from the dorsal to the tail. What we didn’t know, was that our bomb mission was so secret, no distress signal had been sent. They didn’t even list us overdue for a week. Very first light, Chief, sharks come cruisin’ by, so we formed ourselves into tight groups. It was sorta like you see in the calendars, you know the infantry squares in the old calendars like the Battle of Waterloo and the idea was the shark come to the nearest man, that man he starts poundin’ and hollerin’ and sometimes that shark he go away… but sometimes he wouldn’t go away.

Sometimes that shark looks right at ya. Right into your eyes. And the thing about a shark is he’s got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll’s eyes. When he comes at ya, he doesn’t even seem to be livin’… ’til he bites ya, and those black eyes roll over white and then… ah then you hear that terrible high-pitched screamin’. The ocean turns red, and despite all your poundin’ and your hollerin’ those sharks come in and… they rip you to pieces.

You know by the end of that first dawn, lost a hundred men. I don’t know how many sharks there were, maybe a thousand. I do know how many men, they averaged six an hour. Thursday mornin’, Chief, I bumped into a friend of mine, Herbie Robinson from Cleveland. Baseball player. Boson’s mate. I thought he was asleep. I reached over to wake him up. He bobbed up, down in the water, he was like a kinda top. Upended. Well, he’d been bitten in half below the waist.

At noon on the fifth day, a Lockheed Ventura swung in low and he spotted us, a young pilot, lot younger than Mr. Hooper here, anyway he spotted us and a few hours later a big ol’ fat PBY come down and started to pick us up. You know that was the time I was most frightened. Waitin’ for my turn. I’ll never put on a lifejacket again. So, eleven hundred men went into the water. 316 men come out, the sharks took the rest, June the 29th, 1945.

Anyway, we delivered the bomb.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I haven't told many people this story but I feel like I can share because Moog was so brave. Anyway,...Japanese submarine slammed two torpedoes into her side, Chief. We was comin’ back from the island of Tinian to Leyte. We’d just delivered the bomb. The Hiroshima bomb. Eleven hundred men went into the water. Vessel went down in 12 minutes.

Didn’t see the first shark for about a half-hour. Tiger. 13-footer. You know how you know that in the water, Chief? You can tell by lookin’ from the dorsal to the tail. What we didn’t know, was that our bomb mission was so secret, no distress signal had been sent. They didn’t even list us overdue for a week. Very first light, Chief, sharks come cruisin’ by, so we formed ourselves into tight groups. It was sorta like you see in the calendars, you know the infantry squares in the old calendars like the Battle of Waterloo and the idea was the shark come to the nearest man, that man he starts poundin’ and hollerin’ and sometimes that shark he go away… but sometimes he wouldn’t go away.

Sometimes that shark looks right at ya. Right into your eyes. And the thing about a shark is he’s got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll’s eyes. When he comes at ya, he doesn’t even seem to be livin’… ’til he bites ya, and those black eyes roll over white and then… ah then you hear that terrible high-pitched screamin’. The ocean turns red, and despite all your poundin’ and your hollerin’ those sharks come in and… they rip you to pieces.

You know by the end of that first dawn, lost a hundred men. I don’t know how many sharks there were, maybe a thousand. I do know how many men, they averaged six an hour. Thursday mornin’, Chief, I bumped into a friend of mine, Herbie Robinson from Cleveland. Baseball player. Boson’s mate. I thought he was asleep. I reached over to wake him up. He bobbed up, down in the water, he was like a kinda top. Upended. Well, he’d been bitten in half below the waist.

At noon on the fifth day, a Lockheed Ventura swung in low and he spotted us, a young pilot, lot younger than Mr. Hooper here, anyway he spotted us and a few hours later a big ol’ fat PBY come down and started to pick us up. You know that was the time I was most frightened. Waitin’ for my turn. I’ll never put on a lifejacket again. So, eleven hundred men went into the water. 316 men come out, the sharks took the rest, June the 29th, 1945.

Perfect timing..... I just watched that last night.  My number 2 all time movie. And that is the best character ever .  Love it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Perfect timing..... I just watched that last night.  My number 2 all time movie. And that is the best character ever .  Love it.

Definitely in my top 5.  The Indianapolis scene that Tacks described was the best in the movie, but one of the "deleted" scenes that is on the DVD was almost it's equal.    The captain and his helper went to the music store in town to buy piano wire (he used it as fishing line).  A kid was nervously playing the clarinet as he stood behind him humming along with his recital.   The look on that kid's face was priceless.   

I watched Wind River last night.  It was ok but I would not rank it a top 10.   It would have been better if it had been filmed where/when it was actually cold outside.  You know it was not, because you could not see the people's breath and at one point a spider ran across the snow.   Lot's of good tracking and gun stuff though.  

10 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I don't want to discredit your life experiences by any means but this could have been easily avoided if you would have just gotten a bigger boat. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I’d say my scariest moment would have to be about 5 years ago I was still hunting a piece of state land I have never hunted before when I came to a swampy area, I figured this would be a great place to sneak up on some pressure deer, I got about 50 yards when it happened. Without warning I sunk in straight to my Waste. I was stuck and the more I fought the deeper I sank. Finally after what seemed like a hour I slowly but surely pulled myself out till I was laying flat on my belly.... I belly crawled out of that swamp and got the worst case of poison oak ever.... I must have really gotten it all over me
Because I can pick up poison Ivy with my bare hands rub it on my arms and not get it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another for me:

I was hunting deers and shot a buck that laid right down, I quickly went over to retrieve and drag him back, so my surprise he jumped up and speared me with his massive spikes. He was almost even a three pointer. I quickly fired another round into him as I ran away. Striking the anus.

Turns out he was 7.5 years old and over 300 pounds via the shoulder girth chart. 

Lol all in good fun wolc

Edited by BigVal
  • Like 1

Probably my most notable moment was opening day of rifle in the southern tier about 4 years ago, I had taken my climber way up high on the edge of a real thick brushlot that the deer go into once they get pushed, from 30ft up I can see anything down in the brush. I'm about 350 yds from private farmland and some fields on the backside of the state land, before legal shooting light someone started shooting out in the field and almost instantly I could hear the rounds buzzing as they went by me ticking branches in the brush near me. I jumped up and shimmied my climber to the backside of the tree and tried to stay behind the trunk. There was a total of 5 spaced out shots, and all that I can guess is that those rounds were bouncing off of the field and ricocheting back up into the woods.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk