I hate snow

Swamp_bucks

Finally done here little damage to the house but its on a piece thats getting knocked down in the coming weeks. Going to see what roof looks like in the next day or so.   Hoping trees hold up to the weight they are all sagging good.  Hope everyone else made it through ok.

We got all of 24 inches here if not more in the hills trees down everywhere...power was out all day it just came back on...

I must be one of the few roads that didn’t lose power in our area it seems. Even 2 houses down on the corner of my road and 403 was out. Our lights flickered for a min early in the morning but that’s it. O and the cable internet was out off and on for a few hours throughout the day. I got home around 945am and tried to snowblow around noon. Snow blower was no match for that heavy wet stuff, it kept trying to ride up and on top. Had to ride my 4 wheeler around the block to get my buddy Carl to plow me out with his tractor. I left for work at 8pm and measured 29 inches on the tape measure, and it was still snowing hard. I’m sure it will end up being around 30 inches or more in the end. Hell, they didn’t even plow my road yet today! Thank god for 4 wheel drive!

Well i made it home.  Got a good 2 ft maybe closer to 30", it all looks the same this deep.  Driveway took a beating, but I got it snow blowed, and trees trimmed enough to get through for now.  Abandoned 4x4s on the shoulders burried, trees down everywhere.  Spoke with a plow driver, he said the big tandems they run were to two light for this heavy snow,  and couldn't push it,  so they were stuck.  This guy had to use a grater, to open up the roads for the tandems to clear.   One of those storms.  

26024.jpeg

26023.jpeg

26058.jpeg

26073.jpeg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, wooly said:

We're getting to the point now where any additional snow will really put a hurtin' on the deer and other critters if it piles up much more before green up.

This is probably the most critical point of winter for them as they run out of fat reserves and any available food gets buried again under feet of snow like we are right now. Fortunately it looks like this latest round wont be on the ground for long, but who knows what the rest of the month has in store for them. At least they didn't have to contend with any sub zero temps with this latest blast.

On a positive note, I did flush a woodcock earlier this week before the storm so the end may be in sight!

In some of the protected areas here, there is actually grass growing. The deer have visited it heavily.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bionic said:

Here a few from the drive home. 

37 mile commute, at work it only left a wet coating, that melted on its own....one of those days.

Just figured I would share some pics.  All pics are of a 55mph road.  

20180302_184924.jpg

20180302_192647.jpg

20180302_184351.jpg

did that moose lead you all the way home?lol

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

I must be one of the few roads that didn’t lose power in our area it seems. Even 2 houses down on the corner of my road and 403 was out. Our lights flickered for a min early in the morning but that’s it. O and the cable internet was out off and on for a few hours throughout the day. I got home around 945am and tried to snowblow around noon. Snow blower was no match for that heavy wet stuff, it kept trying to ride up and on top. Had to ride my 4 wheeler around the block to get my buddy Carl to plow me out with his tractor. I left for work at 8pm and measured 29 inches on the tape measure, and it was still snowing hard. I’m sure it will end up being around 30 inches or more in the end. Hell, they didn’t even plow my road yet today! Thank god for 4 wheel drive!

So many trees down ...they are still snapping here now ...just had the top break off one of the big pines outback that will wake u up for sure

1520087307793-1601296845.jpg

1520087354668-878910510.jpg

• Like 1

Best of luck to all of y'all who got hit hard....

Tucked down against  the north central Pennsyltucky border, my area often dodges much of the worst weather...We are a little too far south and east to get the lake effect, and  far enough west to dodge most of the nor'easters...

All we got here  was a lot of rain and  a few inches of wet snow... We got lucky again...

• Like 2

I had a guy in to plow my 1000' driveway because I thought the consistency of the foot of snow was a bit too heavy for my ATV. He came up the level part ok, but as soon as he started up the area where there is a slight grade, he buried himself and left a huge pile of that sloppy-gloppy snow About 4' high blocking the driveway completely. It was dark and he decided to come back the next day. So he had a friend pull him out and off they went with my driveway barricaded with a pig pile of compacted snow.

I figured that the guy would never be able to finish (He had a nice rig, but only summer tires). So yesterday I got out the ATV to see what I could do. Well with a bit of hand shoveling to get around the side of the big pile that he left and lot of stubbornness, I finally finished the job where a 4WD pickup truck failed. I have a renewed sense of respect for those little ATVs. The agility and maneuverability of those things gives me a leg-up on some of these trucks....lol. Of course if the guy had some good tires on his truck or maybe some chains, he should have really had no problem, and he could have saved some wear and tear on my trusty Yamaha. My conclusion: These guys with the snow plows should first have appropriate tires, and second they should keep a good 4WD ATV w/plow, in the bed of their truck for times when things get tough.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Doc said:

Of course if the guy had some good tires on his truck or maybe some chains, he should have really had no problem, and he could have saved some wear and tear on my trusty Yamaha. My conclusion: These guys with the snow plows should first have appropriate tires, and second they should keep a good 4WD ATV w/plow, in the bed of their truck for times when things get tough.

Yea, the guy is going to "chain up" for your driveway..............??

The guy running the truck is the problem, kind of like "it's the Indian, NOT the arrow".

Comparing an ATV to a truck for plowing is pretty ludicrous and saying that plow drivers should haul an ATV equipped with a plow around in the back of their truck falls into a whole 'nother category. 

It sounds like the plow driver didn't push off each direction in little "bites" but just tried to blast his way to the end?  Too bad, hopefully he learned from his experience as getting shown up by a lowly plow equipped ATV has to hurt........... :)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

Yea, the guy is going to "chain up" for your driveway..............??

The guy running the truck is the problem, kind of like "it's the Indian, NOT the arrow".

Comparing an ATV to a truck for plowing is pretty ludicrous and saying that plow drivers should haul an ATV equipped with a plow around in the back of their truck falls into a whole 'nother category. 

It sounds like the plow driver didn't push off each direction in little "bites" but just tried to blast his way to the end?  Too bad, hopefully he learned from his experience as getting shown up by a lowly plow equipped ATV has to hurt........... :)

Yes, that is where the ATV did the job that the truck couldn't. Most of my driveway is a bit bigger than one lane wide and it's elevated with deep ditches on both sides. All he could do was push straight ahead depending entirely on the rake of the plow to shove that Heavy snow off the driveway. With summer tires, he quickly reached a point where he couldn't do it. With the ATV, I was able to take those little bites off in a sideways direction into the ditch where he could not. Yeah, I think he learned a lesson that if you are going to plow snow commercially, you really do need the tires for the job. He wound up with his tires sliding sideways out over the edge of the ditch and then he was really stuck. 

As far as the chains, he could have saved himself a lot of grief if he had a set of those strap-on chains. He was stuck and had to call a buddy from 12 miles away to come and help pull him out. I mean here is the guy stuck 1000' off the road, not going anywhere without help. You figure it out if chains would have made sense.

On 3/2/2018 at 3:22 PM, fasteddie said:

My son , Nick , lives off of Co road 33 near Honeoye . They have had some tree damage and he said it was almost like when we had the Ice storm in the 90's . Luckily they have a generator as they had lost power . He said they got about 17" of snow . WNYBuckhunter doesn't live too far away so he might be buried also . 

We had about 10" here in Ontario . It was a bit of a job even with a snowblower to clear the driveway . 

Yes, we ended up with 22" at our place. Two guys broke their plow trucks trying to dig us out. We were stuck back there for almost 2 days. I still have more digging out to do so I can get down to the barn to bring wood up to the house. Next year we will have a tractor with a plow and front end loader. We have been snowbound twice this year. Not happening again after this year.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Yes, we ended up with 22" at our place. Two guys broke their plow trucks trying to dig us out. We were stuck back there for almost 2 days. I still have more digging out to do so I can get down to the barn to bring wood up to the house. Next year we will have a tractor with a plow and front end loader. We have been snowbound twice this year. Not happening again after this year.

We use the atv for the light stuff but for this crap we have the kabota ..this snow was heavy and with another storm right behind this one I have to move the snowpiles to make room for more of this crap...

4 minutes ago, silent death said:

We use the atv for the light stuff but for this crap we have the kabota ..this snow was heavy and with another storm right behind this one I have to move the snowpiles to make room for more of this crap...

Yeah my ATV does ok as long as the snow is not wet and heavy, and is 8" or less. The problem is that I broke the winch cable on it before winter started and havent had a chance to fix it with moving, my dad being in the hospital for the last month, etc. Plus, we are at the end of a 1/2 mile private road thats a bit on the hilly side, so my ATV plow is pretty much useless for our new place, besides some clean up here and there. 2 of our vehicles are fine getting through the snow as long as its less than a foot. Ill probably end up getting rid of the plow for the ATV once we get the tractor. Ill use the money toward buying a set of tracks for the ATV so that we can have a means for emergency access for ourselves and the neighbors if need be. The couple of neighbors we have are older, and if there were some medical emergency or something with them, us or our kids, getting help in or out could be a big issue during a significant storm. Its funny how being snowbound a couple of times makes you start thinking about things like that.

• Like 1

We didn't loose power but those around us did for a while. I lost a lot of limbs from the pines but no trees. I did take the opportunity to drop a few trees that needed a little weight on them to get them to fall where I wanted.

Edited by chas0218

32 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Yeah my ATV does ok as long as the snow is not wet and heavy, and is 8" or less. The problem is that I broke the winch cable on it before winter started and havent had a chance to fix it with moving, my dad being in the hospital for the last month, etc. Plus, we are at the end of a 1/2 mile private road thats a bit on the hilly side, so my ATV plow is pretty much useless for our new place, besides some clean up here and there. 2 of our vehicles are fine getting through the snow as long as its less than a foot. Ill probably end up getting rid of the plow for the ATV once we get the tractor. Ill use the money toward buying a set of tracks for the ATV so that we can have a means for emergency access for ourselves and the neighbors if need be. The couple of neighbors we have are older, and if there were some medical emergency or something with them, us or our kids, getting help in or out could be a big issue during a significant storm. Its funny how being snowbound a couple of times makes you start thinking about things like that.

I broke my winch 1/2 way through our driveway so now I'm waiting on a new one to show up to the house. A lot of guys take the cable off and wrap a tow strap into the winch for plowing. They say it lasts a long time and doesn't mess up their cables. I have a polaris sportsman with a 50" plow, it does fine pushing up to 12" of this heavy snow. I got 10" and other than the winch breaking it was doing fine.

Edited by chas0218

6 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

I broke my winch 1/2 way through our driveway so now I'm waiting on a new one to show up to the house. A lot of guys take the cable off and wrap a tow strap into the winch for plowing. They say it lasts a long time and doesn't mess up their cables.

Yeah thats what I was going to do, but Ill end up selling the plow so Im not worried about it now. Just going to replace the cable with a new one.

Just was watching news.   It was like groundhog day.  There is an East coast storm a few days out forecast right now is 3-6.  10-12 to the east end of state.  Exactly the same thing they said last week.  Cripes.......and snowblower in shop.  Let's hope this one is a dud, that last one was a doozy.