Blind saver

This past winter has claimed another brand new blind that we purchased last spring. My own fault for not pulling it before the snows piled up, but currently have a new one on order.

Was recommended this little gadget by an acquaintance, but not sure for how long, and under what conditions he's used them. I'd never heard of these things until now, and they just seem so obviously simple I wonder how well they really work.... if at all.

The guy that recommended them isn't exactly the most reliable source for the latest and greatest gear updates, and we didn't get into a lengthy conversation about them, so I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with them at all?

Probably hitting up Cabelas this weekend and thinking about picking one up for the new hut to see if we can get a few more seasons out of it than we've been getting.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Blind-Saver-trade-Ground-Blind-Roof-Support/1611915.uts?slotId=0

36 minutes ago, bugsNbows said:

Why don’t you just take the blind down earlier?

Well, we planned on making it out one last time, but by then it was already too late. We got dumped on before the final weekend of season and it didn't let up for weeks, so there she sat alone in the woods getting buried and destroyed.

33 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Wooly

a piece of pvc cut to length will do the same thing for less than $30.     Just supports the center so the roof doesn’t cave in.   

Yeah, that would work too, but I got a bad habit of leaving things behind if it's not easy to strap on my pack when I pick things up for the year. Hate to be a slob since it's not my land to begin with. Figured this collapsible support would be light and compact enough to drop on the side pocket of my pack so I can haul everything in and out out all at once. Our blind is 7ft tall, and well over a mile deep in the woods on top of things, so that would be an awkward hunk of pipe to be lugging around. If I had a machine to move our gear around I would go with something like that. Hiking it all in and out I think this may be a better option.

I have one of those tipi style blinds still out. You know, the kind you get caught up in the cords for the windows. Figure since it's such a good turkey spot, why make the effort.  It was doing very well until yesterdays wet snow;  ended it's occupancy certificate., LOL. I can see the blue chair through the rip.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, wooly said:

Well, we planned on making it out one last time, but by then it was already too late. We got dumped on before the final weekend of season and it didn't let up for weeks, so there she sat alone in the woods getting buried and destroyed.

Yeah, that would work too, but I got a bad habit of leaving things behind if it's not easy to strap on my pack when I pick things up for the year. Hate to be a slob since it's not my land to begin with. Figured this collapsible support would be light and compact enough to drop on the side pocket of my pack so I can haul everything in and out out all at once. Our blind is 7ft tall, and well over a mile deep in the woods on top of things, so that would be an awkward hunk of pipe to be lugging around. If I had a machine to move our gear around I would go with something like that. Hiking it all in and out I think this may be a better option.

Sounds like you're set on buying one ,however for other people . Get your length of pipe and separate it into smaller pieces and use connectors , run a string or bungey cord down through the middle and attach at each end to keep all the piece together for transport.

• Like 1

I am sure you read reviews Wooly but this one kills me:

Had one of those wet & heavy snows and the top plastic piece broke. Might be okay if you are in an area that has the dry fluffy snow. Will be looking for a better option.
By: TGPB

Is this area a dry fluffy snow zone only?    There was another complaint about the same thing.  

The reviews for the most part are good. Never seen one of these before, but would think in your area, with the heavy wet snow, any hub style blind would still be toast. Even with this pole. 

Most all our blinds are "natural", or made from stuff lying on the ground nearby. And once built will last for years, with just a little brush in, upkeep each year. All are built to shoulder height when sitting, and some even have a slanted over head cover for inclimate weather.

That being said, we do also have some hub style blinds. And we are in an area that will most always get snow before the end of the season. Here is what we do, and it works great! 

Cut a gallon milk jug in half. Keep the bottom half.

Set up blind, and cut three straight 'poles' to length from nearby, to make a tripod inside the blind. Using the cut out milk jug on the top, inside roof to support it and hold the poles together. Run the poles along inside of the blind, spaced to miss your shooting window.

Holds up the blind in snow and wind very well! You need not carry anything but a small hand saw, and half a milk jug! 

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback fellas.

I walked out of Cabelas today with NO "blind saver" after some long deliberation.

Just wanted you all to know this so when I get lazy and my new blind gets flattened and tore to shreds again next year, I will be back blaming each and every one of ya for talking me out of it! 

Last year was a rough season all the way around for me, but this year I'm gonna be on top of things....... I hope! ;)

• Like 4

Call me cheap :pardon:, but what I started doing 2 years ago was using an adjustable shower curtain rod for a support in my blind. They're only $8-$10 at Walmart and they're adjustable from 48-86", so can easily (and quickly) adjust to any size blind. For added protection, I sometimes put an old hotseat or some other kind of cushion in between the rod and the blind itself. No complaints!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Cabin Fever said:

Call me cheap :pardon:, but what I started doing 2 years ago was using an adjustable shower curtain rod for a support in my blind. They're only $8-$10 at Walmart and they're adjustable from 48-86", so can easily (and quickly) adjust to any size blind. For added protection, I sometimes put an old hotseat or some other kind of cushion in between the rod and the blind itself. No complaints!

Good idea Bob.  Cheap and easy to adjust.