Power outage from northeaster 24 hours no power no heat

Hunter007

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Not to be an asshole but how do you live in the north east without a backup heat source?

I know I have 2 plus a generator that will run the whole house including furnace.

I couldn’t imagine expecting the power company to be responsible for an act of god.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have  2 fire places in my house they never been used in years 

Get this now there saying I have to wait until 11 pm tomorrow to get power .

That is 48 hours 

That is bs I pay my bill on time always but have to wait 2 f days to get power from a storm which was not even that bad .

Edited by Storm914

Welcome to the club, life in the northeast.  Monday at 11:45pm if im lucky I am told.  I am thrilled that my house is ok, and survived the setting its in.  The rest whatever. 

Maybe go for a short drive, and see why there is no power.  These electric linemen, and municipal workers are going around the clock.  They probably haven't even been able to clear their own driveways yet, unless they hire someone.  Give the power company a little slack.  I understand the frustration, i really do, but those guys are working long hours, and are probably cold too.  Hang in there.

Edited by Bionic
  • Like 1

I have  2 fire places in my house they never been used in years 
Get this now there saying I have to wait until 11 pm tomorrow to get power .
That is 48 hours 
That is bs I pay my bill on time always but have to wait 2 f days to get power from a storm which was not even that bad .

I’m sure the guys trying to fix it are doing what they can. They can’t stop the weather anymore than you and I.

Use this as a learning experience and get those fireplaces checked out and into working order so you’re prepared for the next time. I learned the hard way a few years ago when we went nearly 80hrs without power in the dead of winter. I wasn’t prepared for that either and had to keep moving a kerosene heater from room to room to keep pipes from freezing.

• Like 3

I agree with buckmaster, my previous post was not written to be rude.  This really does suck, for lack of better terms.  It can always be worse though. 

I too learned from this storm.  We got close to 30" of the wettest snow I have ever seen.  Trees busting,  breaking, fortunately did not hit anything here, I feel for you with your garage, I can't imagine, but at least it was not your home.  Thats why i say things can always be worse.  

We have electric companies from Maine, and Canada coming down to help restore my area I heard.  I wish I could thank them, sounds corny, but I work for a municipality,  so I kn ow what it feels like to work days straight in the elements.   However, add being FAR from home/family, has got to be rough.

Edited by Bionic

No power here in Yorktown either. Lots of houses with trees thru them and bad damage. My house is into 40’s degrees to I headed north to relatives house. NYSEG saying Monday at 1145pm, we’ll see. Hopefully sooner

Having worked for National Grid for 35 years, I can attest to the impossible conditions we had to work in after storms like this. People should remember it took decades to build and maintain the overhead lines, and it sucks to see all that work tossed away when storms hit and take the facilities down overnight.

We put in a natural gas stand by generator to protect ourselves in the event of a electric failure. Next step will probably be moving south to get away from the white stuff, then get killed by a tornado...or hurricane.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I sill place part of the blame on the utilities..Improperly maintained rows. Yes a tree can fall bad cure the outage from a distance but its been my.experiance that they will only remove the tree that fell ..not the dozen other ones leaning over the wire.. even had one guy tell me it's job security.. which is fine untill there is a storm and instead of one random tree.falling it's hundreds...

21 minutes ago, G-Man said:

I sill place part of the blame on the utilities..Improperly maintained rows. Yes a tree can fall bad cure the outage from a distance but its been my.experiance that they will only remove the tree that fell ..not the dozen other ones leaning over the wire.. even had one guy tell me it's job security.. which is fine untill there is a storm and instead of one random tree.falling it's hundreds...

Agree about ROW maintenance....could be better but you wouldn't believe the concerns property owners have about trimming a branch off of a tree on a property a person owns. I can guarantee you the new England area is a bigger mess right now due to people/local government that do not allow much trimming or cutting because it's "Charming New England" and the tourism dollars generated every fall with people checking out the changing leaf colors...true stuff. Nothing against the area, but the el. utilities are not much of a concern until the poles and wires are down and everyone then screams when the restoration takes forever because of short-sightedness of some people protecting the trees.

• Like 4

They have the right to trim on a row.. I don't care what land owner says.. they need to do their jobs.. it is bigger than a land owner..eminent domain.  If it is a row then trim.. maybe no chem but trim it's not rocket science

7 hours ago, G-Man said:

Watch when everyones electric bill doubles and see who bitches. One bright light; it would make wind power profitable without government aid.

The problem with doing line maitenence by trimming trees is that they can only clear an area around the wires. That usually leaves a large part of the tree on either side of the wires. This will help from small branches contacting the wires, but in a major storm, the tree will fall and take them out. Have you ever seen when the utilities top every tree on the block and the public outrage ensues? The problem isn't the utilities, it's the municipalities that plant the trees under the wires. 

Like others have said, give them a break. They are working around the clock to get the power back on for you. If it was me, I'd go pick up a few pizzas and drive around the neighborhood in search of the linemen and express your gratitude, and let them know where you live. It can't hurt. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, NonTypical said:

The problem with doing line maitenence by trimming trees is that they can only clear an area around the wires. That usually leaves a large part of the tree on either side of the wires. This will help from small branches contacting the wires, but in a major storm, the tree will fall and take them out. Have you ever seen when the utilities top every tree on the block and the public outrage ensues? The problem isn't the utilities, it's the municipalities that plant the trees under the wires. 

Like others have said, give them a break. They are working around the clock to get the power back on for you. If it was me, I'd go pick up a few pizzas and drive around the neighborhood in search of the linemen and express your gratitude, and let them know where you live. It can't hurt. 

How about they put the lines underground In places they  know have this problem with trees other country's don't have powerlines exposed like here. 

14 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

How about they put the lines underground In places they  know have this problem with trees other country's don't have powerlines exposed like here. 

Because it costs a lot of money. Maybe you should have just buy a house in an area that they already have buried lines? There are plenty of areas around here that have them. Or better yet, just buy a generator and be prepared for acts of God, like everyone else does. 

• Like 6

Good luck guys.  No power sucks.  We take it for granted until it's gone and how much we rely on it.  Estimates are that 90 percent of Americans wpuldnt live if no power for a year.  

But yeah gotta have a backup plan.  I have two little buddie heaters with 6 small propane tanks to get me by and then a propane line to attach to a larger tank that I have on the grill of I need it. And I always have an extra one of those in garage too.  Then I have a little generator if need be .  

Hope you guys get power soon and am glad all is ok.

Haven't ever heard of grid reimbursing anyone they wpnt set that precedent.  One friend of mine did get them to pay some as they were on vacation and the power went out on their road and they never reset the pole by their house and they lost all their freezer stuff.

Best of luck to all.

We didn't have a power outage with this last storm but still glad that I bought a whole house generator two years ago . It should kick on in a few minutes for the weekly test .

My youngest son lives about 5 miles from Honeoye and they have a partial house generator . It has kicked on and off this past week and their neighbors had no power . 

Nobody thinks about generators until they are needed, and then the stores are sold out.  I run mine under load at least 2 times a year and perform routine maintenance.  I don't care that it takes up room when not in use.  When it is needed it is there for me! 

• Like 2

We did 11 days with out power in 1,990. Wasn’t that big of a deal, kinda like camping but with a house . We had a gas stove which I used to get the house temp up a bit when needed , window cracked a bit when in use .the days after were sunny and warmed up a bit as well .

Being campers we were pretty well off although it did expose some gaps we’ve since filled .

Being a FF for close to 30 years , I’ve worked many wind and ice storms that took down tons of trees and lines , my observations, are the unprepared complain the most . My guess is their parents never read them , “ The Three Little Pigs ,”

Although last wind storm I did see two improperly set up generators start fires , so a little knowledge with the preps helps. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NonTypical said:

Because it costs a lot of money. Maybe you should have just buy a house in an area that they already have buried lines? There are plenty of areas around here that have them. Or better yet, just buy a generator and be prepared for acts of God, like everyone else does. 

Never had power go out in winter in my life here .

Buy a generator that will never be used then have it probably fail from never being used no thanks we lived for thousands of years before electricity and indoor heating  I will manage for a few day . 

Because it cost money like it don't cost us money now ?

To buy electricity?

Con ed being scumbags 

Trump is right we are a first world country with 3erd world infostruction. 

I pay 50k a year in property tax these f ers  should bring a extension cord from the town hall to my house .

For the money I am forced to pay them .

Its because con is pretty much a, Monopoly that they don't put the lines underground. 

Lobbyists .

Edited by Storm914
  • Haha 1