Power outage from northeaster 24 hours no power no heat

Hunter007

18 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

Never had power go out in winter in my life here .

Buy a generator that will never be used then have it probably fail from never being used no thanks we lived for thousands of years before electricity and indoor heating  I will manage for a few day . 

Because it cost money like it don't cost us money now ?

To buy electricity?

Con ed being scumbags 

Trump is right we are a first world country with 3erd world infostruction. 

I pay 50k a year in property tax these f ers  should bring a extension cord from the town hall to my house .

For the money I am forced to pay them .

Its because con is pretty much a, Monopoly that they don't put the lines underground. 

Lobbyists .

$50,000 a year in property taxes and you don't want (can't afford) a generator?

Your brain must be freezing up; go to a emergency room PDQ.

• Like 4

Buy a generator that will never be used then have it probably fail from never being used no thanks we lived for thousands of years before electricity and indoor heating  I will manage for a few day . 

To buy electricity?

Con ed being scumbags 

I pay 50k a year in property tax these f ers  should bring a extension cord from the town hall to my house .

Its because con is pretty much a, Monopoly that they don't put the lines underground. 

Lobbyists .

50 k. Good lord. Where do you live to pay that ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To buy electricity?
Con ed being scumbags 
Lobbyists .

This has to be one of the whiniest post I have read on here in a very long time. Suck it up butter cup, it’s called life.

If you’ve never had power go out in winter before you should be thankful not complaining like my 10yr old when she looses WiFi!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bigpaul said:

Nobody thinks about generators until they are needed, and then the stores are sold out.  I run mine under load at least 2 times a year and perform routine maintenance.  I don't care that it takes up room when not in use.  When it is needed it is there for me! 

I have a portable generator on wheels and use it for different building projects, like at a camp back in the woods to run corded tools, light, help buddies, etc. But when our power went out,  rolled it out of the garage, hit the breaker (turned main off and generator line on) and had power in the house. Stoked the fireplace, cranked up the Coleman lantern in the kitchen for more light and heat. Felt a bit guilty though because the houses in the neighborhood were dark.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

$50,000 a year in property taxes and you don't want (can't afford) a generator?

Your brain must be freezing up; go to a emergency room PDQ.

Not the point i should not have to or I could move up in the stixx someplace . And live in a RV .

The point is the f n gov exploits you here .  Why do you think they want to ban guns .

Just so they can inslave us f n  even more .

4 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

Not the point i should not have to or I could move up in the stixx someplace . And live in a RV .

The point is the f n gov exploits you here .  Why do you think they want to ban guns .

Just so they can inslave us f n  even more .

Slowly count to 10 ,relax and breath   There's 49 other states to live in  .None of which are perfect

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, NonTypical said:

The problem with doing line maitenence by trimming trees is that they can only clear an area around the wires. That usually leaves a large part of the tree on either side of the wires. This will help from small branches contacting the wires, but in a major storm, the tree will fall and take them out. Have you ever seen when the utilities top every tree on the block and the public outrage ensues? The problem isn't the utilities, it's the municipalities that plant the trees under the wires. 

Like others have said, give them a break. They are working around the clock to get the power back on for you. If it was me, I'd go pick up a few pizzas and drive around the neighborhood in search of the linemen and express your gratitude, and let them know where you live. It can't hurt. 

Trees going in the subways is asinine. Guys are working 16 hr. days to get lines back up. Go to a subway and buy a couple 6in subs and give to some of the guys. A little good will can go a long way.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, aboa13 said:

Must be some place. Good luck with your power.

Its ok but down south for half the money and 1/3 the tax you can get so much better .

But like they say location location 

I love NY .

Even with its corruption 

If not for that this really is the best state in the country in my opinion. 

• Like 1

You see this is just another example of how these liberals are so naive about governments And gun control. 

They say you dont need your guns the governments can protect you bla bla bla. 

When they can't even Keep the  f n electricity on or fix the f n  pot holes   in the streets  even in these high taxed areas .

You think the dems in Congress have gun control for themselfs .

Edited by Storm914

4 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

This thread reminds of the flooding in jersey a few years back where everyone stood on high ground and bitched that the government wasn't helping them . Sometimes you need to help yourself .

The point is the government  libs promote the false idea that you don't need to help yourself that they are god and will do it all for you .

That is what they teach them in school these days. 

Good thread . Perhaps some will get ideas of what they can do to be better prepared. Myself after the first ice storm we realized we had no way to get info, no battery operated radio ( pre cell phone days kids ) so I bought a AM/FM with TV channels .

Many guys at work have whole house generators , the thinking is if we’re on nights, their wife’s can simply flip a switch instead  of dragging out fueling ,starting.and hooking up the cords.

We have a gas insert that even with out the blower heats this downstairs just fine . We have preset curtain rods to hang sheets from and block off parts of the house . 3 ways to cook, outside grill with extra tank,Coleman stove and a Jetboil .

Mr Buddy type heater and a dozen green tanks.

Back up sump that runs on water.

Led lanterns That are crazy bright and run off AA’s cheap and easy to stockpile .

Tv that runs off battery and an antenna so we can get local channels , last outage wife could still watch Dancing With The Stars ! Hey beats me having to play her in Gin ....

There are things one  can do to make it a little easier .

One thing to keep in mind, what was on when the power went off may come on when the power does . Always have stove fires when the power comes back on , so remember to shut it off and don’t use the top for those pizza boxes.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Good thread . Perhaps some will get ideas of what they can do to be better prepared. Myself after the first ice storm we realized we had no way to get info, no battery operated radio ( pre cell phone days kids ) so I bought a AM/FM with TV channels .

Many guys at work have whole house generators , the thinking is if we’re on nights, their wife’s can simply flip a switch instead  of dragging out fueling ,starting.and hooking up the cords.

We have a gas insert that even with out the blower heats this downstairs just fine . We have preset curtain rods to hang sheets from and block off parts of the house . 3 ways to cook, outside grill with extra tank,Coleman stove and a Jetboil .

Mr Buddy type heater and a dozen green tanks.

Back up sump that runs on water.

Led lanterns That are crazy bright and run off AA’s cheap and easy to stockpile .

Tv that runs off battery and an antenna so we can get local channels , last outage wife could still watch Dancing With The Stars ! Hey beats me having to play her in Gin ....

There are things one  can do to make it a little easier .

One thing to keep in mind, what was on when the power went off may come on when the power does . Always have stove fires when the power comes back on , so remember to shut it off and don’t use the top for those pizza boxes.

I have 3 lithium batter packs to run electronics they work great  but never expected power  outage in winter never happens before here now I may buy some think else for this . Get the fire places running again. 

Still no power in Yorktown for me. Here’s the latest I read:

The supervisor said damage from the storm was comparable to the damage caused by Superstorm Sandy in October 2012

To help the storm recovery and power restoration efforts, Gov. Andrew Cuomo will deploy 100 National Guard members and 30 vehicles out of Camp Smith in Cortlandt Manor in to the Hudson Valley Sunday afternoon.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Still no power in Yorktown for me. Here’s the latest I read:

The supervisor said damage from the storm was comparable to the damage caused by Superstorm Sandy in October 2012

Yea And you think they would of learned  something from that storm nope .

same old s different day 

same old s different day 

I never lost power during Sandy. I live right near Middle & High Schools so hoping I get back power before the estimated 1145pm Monday quote NYSEG gave. At least temps are still over 40 so hopefully pipes don’t freeze.

Btw, $50K in taxes....wow, you in Scarsdale?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I never lost power during Sandy. I live right near Middle & High Schools so hoping I get back power before the estimated 1145pm Monday quote NYSEG gave. At least temps are still over 40 so hopefully pipes don’t freeze.

Btw, $50K in taxes....wow, you in Scarsdale?

I am on the sound close to there . :) recognize this place 

20180123_160857_001.jpg

Edited by Storm914

Can't fight mother nature.  It's bets to be prepared.  I always figure to be prepared for these things.  If power was out and its 10 degrees then you have water issues to contend with. Be sure to have a backup heat source.  My brother in the city of Watertown didn't have power for 2 weeks during that big ice storm. 

I look at it as .....I am 911.   

6 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Can't fight mother nature.  It's bets to be prepared.  I always figure to be prepared for these things.  If power was out and its 10 degrees then you have water issues to contend with. Be sure to have a backup heat source.  My brother in the city of Watertown didn't have power for 2 weeks during that big ice storm. 

I look at it as .....I am 911.   

I thought I was have a bunch of back up batterys lithium . For Electronics .Never  expected a hurricane in the winter time and have no heat :)

Edited by Storm914

22 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

same old s different day 

I guarantee you would not like their fix for the situation . Remember when WNY got the october storm and trees fell everywhere?  Their fix was to butcher everyones trees in their yard ,basically cutting a giant V down the middle of every tree that a had a power line running through it.

Edited by Jeremy K

We bought a 6.5 hp generator after the October storm in WNY more than 10 years ago.   During that storm, Our basement flooded and I learned that you can not trust a water backup sump pump.  During a big wide-spread storm event such as that one, water pressure may be lost or severely reduced due to power loss at the pumping station.   When water pressure falls low enough, those things put more water into your basement than they take out.   They might save you if your primary pump fails under normal conditions but to me they are not worth the packaging they come in or the cost to install.   A far better solution is to install a water alarm and have a backup A/C electric pump ready to install, along with a portable generator.   I also tried a DC backup sump pump which lacked the capacity and endurance to keep up with a big storm.    

Keeping the generator ready to go is important and I do that by using it for small projects throughout the year (like string trimming areas far from the house outlets), changing the oil once a year, and keeping it filled with stabilized ethanol-free gas.   10 years later, it always starts on the first or second pull.  There have only been two or three power outages that lasted longer 4 hours in the last 10 years, when I needed that generator.  During those events,  I ran extension cords to the freezer, sump pump, and two fridge/freezers.   We get plenty of heat from our woodstove and kerosene lanterns and flashlights give us enough light.      

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I guarantee you would not like their fix for the situation . Remember when WNY got the october storm and trees fell everywhere?  Their fix was to cut butcher everyones trees in their ,basically cutting a giant V down the middle of every tree that a had a power line running through it.

Yea i know  because there to cheep to do it right and  just run the lines underground like they do in other country's  .

7 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

Yea i know  because there to cheep to do it right and  just run the lines underground like they do in other country's  .

The "new" neighborhood behind me has buried lines , i live in the poor old neighborhood with above ground lines , conservatively speaking ,the new neighborhood loses power 10 times for every 1 time we lose power . I don't know why but there is a lot of people behind me with generators running and our lights never even flickered .