Family Fun On The Farm "Ratting"

airedale

Hunting Rats with dogs and sticks. Back when I stored hay in my barn the last few bales left after winter always had a couple of dozen rats hiding under them. I would get one of my dogs and have a revolver loaded with rat shot and start flipping bales, The action was fast and furious, a lot of stomping, shooting and some good dog work.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, airedale said:

Hunting Rats with dogs and sticks. Back when I stored hay in my barn the last few bales left after winter always had a couple of dozen rats hiding under them. I would get one of my dogs and have a revolver loaded with rat shot and start flipping bales, The action was fast and furious, a lot of stomping, shooting and some good dog work.

Couple dozen??.... think you need to count again.    

Back in my teen years, my buddies and I used to love to shoot rats at the town dump with  our .22s... We'd go down at night and listen for the rodents to rustle around in the trash, and then spotlight 'em and shoot 'em ...I remember a few 50 rat nights... Great fun for a country boy...

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Back in my teen years, my buddies and I used to love to shoot rats at the town dump with  our .22s... We'd go down at night and listen for the rodents to rustle around in the trash, and then spotlight 'em and shoot 'em ...I remember a few 50 rat nights... Great fun for a country boy...

Shooting rats in your front yard again?

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Ahhh the good old days when there were town dumps, on Sundays they provided some great Crow hunting action and nights your trigger finger would get tired from knocking off all the Rats that were living in the trash.

Al

• Like 2

1 hour ago, airedale said:

Ahhh the good old days when there were town dumps, on Sundays they provided some great Crow hunting action and nights your trigger finger would get tired from knocking off all the Rats that were living in the trash.

Al

Around here it was a winter thing, because RATTLESNAKES  like to hunt rats too, and  a couple of the local dumps ( notably Addison and Cameron)  were in prime timber rattler denning areas..  I felt a lot  more comfortable tiptoeing around in the trash when the snakes were safely underground...