Haleys first deer rifle

So I had been asking for recommendations a while back, and had a few guys offer to let Haley try out a few different calibers. One of my girlfriends cousins had the 7-08 right handed Savage Axis and brought it over and let her shoot it. She fell in love with it, so I ordered her a left handed version of the same gun from Buds Gun Shop and had it shipped to an FFL in Canandaigua. It arrived yesterday and I stopped to pick it up last night. The FFL I used was great, he is a county Sheriff that runs his business out of his garage in his spare time. The name of the place is Top Notch Firearms Sales. If you are in the area and need an FFL, I would recommend him any day of the week. $25 transfer fee, and he his pretty flexible with when you can get together with him. The rifle was around $100 cheaper through Buds than anywhere local, the transaction was smooth, and I had the rifle in a week. The gun seems great, nice and light so it should be an easy carry for her. I have an extra Vortex Crossfire II 3-9x40 laying around that will go on top of it. Once she gets the gun, tomorrow night, I will see if I have a set of rings that will work with it. Next weekend we will get it sighted in, and then we are going to start going out after woodchucks when the weather warms up a bit. Should be fun, and great practice to get her ready for this coming deer season. Cant wait to see her put her first deer on the ground with it!

• Like 17

Nice deal,  I bet she is thrilled with it!

Maybe see if you can get some steel plates and have her bang them all summer.  Another idea (and I know you didn't request any suggestions) is to grab a pile of cardboard and make some silhouettes of deer bodies and stake them out in the woods at unknown yardages (don't get crazy, keep them close enough for success) and have her plink on them.  

Send ME the coordinates for the woodchuck fields............. :)

• Like 1

I was figuring on doing the targets at oddball ranges out back. I want her to build lots of confidence with her rifle before we hit the woods in the fall.

Unfortunately I dont have my hand loading setup quite yet, thats in the works, but maybe if Culver has some time I could get over there and whip a few options up to try. I figured Id grab a few boxes of factory junk to run through it at first and see what it likes.

Lawdwaz, youd be more than welcome to come with us. They are always appreciative of cleaning out the chucks down on the farm. Woodchuck holes do not go well with horses.

• Thanks 1

Love my Axis in 7mm-08! I've upgraded and passed it to my grandson now. But it was absolutely lights out, DRT on any deer I shot with it. Just about any ammo I ran through it, shot well. For hunting, I used Federal Premium Nosler BT's in 140 gr. But the 120's will be just as deadly. Great deal Dad! I know she will love it, and can't wait to see her with a deer and a smile, come fall!

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I was figuring on doing the targets at oddball ranges out back. I want her to build lots of confidence with her rifle before we hit the woods in the fall.

Unfortunately I dont have my hand loading setup quite yet, thats in the works, but maybe if Culver has some time I could get over there and whip a few options up to try. I figured Id grab a few boxes of factory junk to run through it at first and see what it likes.

Lawdwaz, youd be more than welcome to come with us. They are always appreciative of cleaning out the chucks down on the farm. Woodchuck holes do not go well with horses.

Grab a set of dies and the set up is all yours to work them up. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Grab a set of dies and the set up is all yours to work them up. 

Awesome, thank you! I have a bunch of once fired 308 brass that I should be able to neck down to 7-08. Do I need to get any specific brand dies?

BTW, I still have a big box of brass for you that Ill bring with me.

10 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Awesome, thank you! I have a bunch of once fired 308 brass that I should be able to neck down to 7-08. Do I need to get any specific brand dies?

BTW, I still have a big box of brass for you that Ill bring with me.

I'll text you the link to the set I would get. Necking down isn't an issue just gotta be VERY cautious of incorrect head stamps since you do have a 308 in the house.. I resized with Dad's 270 from my 30-06 brass. I just picked a ballistic tipped bullet and that was a clear indicator for me since I only shoot soft points out of the -06

• Like 3

Last night Haley was over and after dinner I laid the box on the table and said "Happy Birthday Kiddo" as her eyes lit up. I helped show her how to install the bolt and magazine and work the action. The smile on her face was priceless and she started asking when she could shoot it. I told her next weekend, as long as the weather is good, we can stop by Runnings and pick up the scope mount and rings, along with a couple of boxes of rounds, and take it out back and get it sighted in along with patterning her turkey gun she got last year. She kept talking about what kind of sling she wants, and that she needs a gun case to carry it in. It was great to see her so excited. I told her to wipe it down before it went into the safe. I swear she sat there for 10 mins with a clean cloth making sure every bit of it was clean before she put it away.

I forgot my darn phone at my office last night, or Id add a pic of her with her new baby. Ill get a few when we take it out to sight it in.

• Like 12

5 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Last night Haley was over and after dinner I laid the box on the table and said "Happy Birthday Kiddo" as her eyes lit up. I helped show her how to install the bolt and magazine and work the action. The smile on her face was priceless and she started asking when she could shoot it. I told her next weekend, as long as the weather is good, we can stop by Runnings and pick up the scope mount and rings, along with a couple of boxes of rounds, and take it out back and get it sighted in along with patterning her turkey gun she got last year. I told her to wipe it down before it went into the safe. I swear she sat there for 10 mins with a clean cloth making sure every bit of it was clean before she put it away.

I forgot my darn phone at my office last night, or Id add a pic of her with her new baby. Ill get a few when we take it out to sight it in.

Priceless! 

The pictures in my mind, after reading this, made me smile.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, helmut in the bush said:

Cool, go on Savages site, I think the have some T shirt rebate going on

They do.  You have to send in UPC codes and original receipt.  Not sure why, but I won't give up my original receipt for a Tshirt.

Edited by moog5050

I really enjoyed reading this thread. It made me excited for the day I can buy my son his first rifle. I want to get him a 10/22 for his first birthday but my wife keeps saying no. I may do it anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, chefhunter86 said:

I really enjoyed reading this thread. It made me excited for the day I can buy my son his first rifle. I want to get him a 10/22 for his first birthday but my wife keeps saying no. I may do it anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bought my daughter the 40th anniversary model   She was about 6 months at the time 

• Like 2