RUGER AMERICAN RIFLE® RANCH

Hunter007

I have one on order at bass pro right now waiting for it to come in. 

I started a thread back a few weeks ago asking same thing. Most said it was a good shooter, a bit of a grainy trigger.  Hoping to have mine by the weekend.  Just called to check on it like 2 minutes ago.  Lol 

• Like 1

This is the one I ordered in 450 bushmaster.  Had one come in at herb phillipsons even got my hands on it on my lunch.  Came back after work to do paperwork and they had their ffl suspended. So it still sits there and had to order one from bass pro. Also had them order ammo as it seems a little hard to find.

151526539885481599863.jpg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

This is the one I ordered in 450 bushmaster.  Had one come in at herb phillipsons even got my hands on it on my lunch.  Came back after work to do paperwork and they had their ffl suspended. So it still sits there and had to order one from bass pro. Also had them order ammo as it seems a little hard to find.

151526539885481599863.jpg

Not sure if i  got  this if I would get it in 450 buckmaster or 

7.62×39 

Which is easy to find ammo and cheeper to shoot 

22 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

First thing I would do it pull off the aluminum base and put on one made with steel. The 450 has been seeing some pretty wide use in the TC Encore circles and the two things I keep seeing are "get steel base" and "it beat the snot out of a scope". 

I expect it would also beat the snot out of the shooter....Hehehe...Whatever floats your boat..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pygmy said:

I expect it would also beat the snot out of the shooter....Hehehe...Whatever floats your boat..

Bullets are around 250gr +/- in general for loads @ 2150; so it can't be that bad. About my plinking load for 458 Win Mag.

I see the idea in a modern sporting platform; but for a bolt action?

If I wanted a short barrel bolt action  I'd want a 458 B&M. Easy brass (cut off a 300RUM case) and lots of 458 bullet choices.

Edited by Dinsdale

44 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

Bullets are around 250gr +/- in general for loads @ 2150; so it can't be that bad. About my plinking load for 458 Win Mag.

If I wanted a short barrel bolt action  I'd want a 458 B&M. Easy brass (cut off a 300RUM case) and lots of 458 bullet choices.

its not bad - no more than a 12 g shooting those Hornady 300 grain. any certain rifles to recommend in the .458?  I did a quick search and the winchester was a nice looking setup but most seemed a lot expensive. 

48 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

That's only a few hundred FPS faster than my 20g with a similar grain slug.  Surprising.

19 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

That's only a few hundred FPS faster than my 20g with a similar grain slug.  Surprising.

i had that 20 g savage 220.  killed a couple deer with it - one at 130 yards 

but the .450 energy for the 250 g at 100 yards is listed as 1879 - compared to the 20 gauge 250 g at 100 yards at 1200  (both hornady) - thats what interested me in the round a bit.  Something different.  Kinda wish i didnt get rid of the 220 but traded it in for a 30-06 i wanted.  Then also got a 12 g remington 11-87 which is my deer thumper.  love a shotgun, just didnt like a bolt action shotgun - lol.  dunno why no reasonable explanation . lol 

but if I was in the shotgun only zone i would have kept it for sure .  

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

i had that 20 g savage 220.  killed a couple deer with it - one at 130 yards 

but the .450 energy for the 250 g at 100 yards is listed as 1879 - compared to the 20 gauge 250 g at 100 yards at 1200  (both hornady) - thats what interested me in the round a bit.  Something different.  Kinda wish i didnt get rid of the 220 but traded it in for a 30-06 i wanted.  Then also got a 12 g remington 11-87 which is my deer thumper.  love a shotgun, just didnt like a bolt action shotgun - lol.  dunno why no reasonable explanation . lol 

but if I was in the shotgun only zone i would have kept it for sure .  

I suspect both the speed and BC of the bullet make for that large difference.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

doesnt kick any more than the 3.5 turkey loads thru the 12 i am betting.  

Certainly NOT !!   Not too many  guns recoil  that much either, including some classic "elephant" guns   

Shotguns with  heavy shot loads ( especially fixed breech guns)  and slug loads  are some of the most brutal kickers ...

That is one reason why  I like rifles....There are numerous chamberings that  give much better terminal performance on game than shotguns at longer ranges with MUCH less punishment on the recoil end...

• Like 4

• 1 month later...