The WRONG Song

Pygmy

The other day  on my favorite Sirius  Radio country station, I heard Waylon Jennings and Jessi Colter's rendition of the Elvis hit " Suspicious Minds"...

It was truly PAINFUL to listen to...  Definitely NOT their song, although I like most of their stuff..

It made me think of other  tunes done by good artists that basically SUCK...

A couple that come to mind....Dolly Parton  " Mule Skinner Blues "......

Linda Ronstadt's version of " Crazy"  , although Linda is one of my favorite female vocalists..

There a lots of others,.... 

38 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I like Dwight Yoakums version of suspicious minds a lot

I must admit to being a little prejudiced toward Dwight because I CAN'T STAND to watch him perform..

I  will say, though, that he gave an excellent performance as Doyle Hargrave, the bullying boyfriend in the film Sling Blade..

3 hours ago, Pygmy said:

It made me think of other  tunes done by good artists that basically SUCK...

I’ve been known to sing Rappers Delight , by The Sugar Hill Gang, around the campfire after a few beers. That’s generally pretty awful !

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fasteddie said:

I like John Fogerty but a lot of his songs have repetitious Lyrics which is annoying .  

You have to remember fogerty was writing for hippies thay were high. He had to repeat himself many times...

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Carrie Underwoods pipes over anyone in any genre anywhere...

She ain’t country , same as most on today’s, “country” radio  .

That stuff is largely just bad rock and roll .

CCR was a nice blend of swamp rock with a touch of zydeco .

Edited by Stay at home Nomad
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

She ain’t country , same as most on today’s, “country” radio  .

That stuff is largely just bad rock and roll .

have you listened to "todays" rock and roll?  , pop , yuck! 

Some new country is really good.  Some isnt .  But still take it over any other new or "todays" music.  

and i like older music but i just cant listen to the same songs over and over and over ......

Underwood made the music scene thru a voice contest and was pigeon hole as a country singer.. she was under contract when that was done she move to what she wanted to do and is good at Pop!  Kelly Clarkson was the opposite started with pop contract and went counrry..she can't sing.. . Garth Brooks the famed coi try guy started rock couldn't make it went country....  over 21 artists have left rock and gone to country at some point in their careers.. usually because they don't make it in rock/pop. I can find 2 that came from country and play rock/pop now.. Katie Perry and Carrie Underwood.. and that success is questonalable considering today's pop....

33 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Underwood made the music scene thru a voice contest and was pigeon hole as a country singer.. she was under contract when that was done she move to what she wanted to do and is good at Pop!  Kelly Clarkson was the opposite started with pop contract and went counrry..she can't sing.. . Garth Brooks the famed coi try guy started rock couldn't make it went country....  over 21 artists have left rock and gone to country at some point in their careers.. usually because they don't make it in rock/pop. I can find 2 that came from country and play rock/pop now.. Katie Perry and Carrie Underwood.. and that success is questonalable considering today's pop....

They dont make it because there really isnt a new rock genre anymore it seems.  Its more hard like Metallica or more Pop like JT or rap.  Dont see much old style rock, thats why country leans more that way these days.  Most of the new country singers have influences from Skynyrd and CCR and ZZ top etc.  New country is far closer to old rock than any other genre right now. Some of it is def on the poppy side and dont care for those but gimme Chris Stapleton and Eric Church for sure.  Great voices .    

I just cant even listen to some of the old rock songs anymore that i used to like.  Only cause ive heard it thousands of times , need something new.  Travis Tritt is my all time favorite and he can kill rock or country all day - he was one of the guys that was pegged for new lead for Skynyrd at one point.   

Kenny Chesney is also the new Jimmy Buffett.  

Edited by Robhuntandfish

6 hours ago, Pygmy said:

The other day  on my favorite Sirius  Radio country station

Got to get you to "sample the dial" more. Hop on over to the Turbo, Octane, Hair Nation, Boneyard, Liquid Metal, or Lithium channels.

You know, the sweet spot on the Sirius/XM dial...:party:

Edited by Steuben Jerry
  • Like 1