Who do you share your meat with?

When you get wildgame who or if anyone do you share with?   I always get people asking or saying ----" if you have too much i will take some".  And thats usually the lazy dude that wont go out and hunt for anything but would take free steaks of course.  I always share with my closest hunting buddy unless he also has a good year (he usually doesnt lol) then I always share with the landowner.  I give venison to them even if I didnt get my deer on their property I always give them some and a 12 pack.  (more if it was a good year on their property) One of the properties I hunt I didnt give any venison to this year cause they also got a deer (they only hunt gun there , i only hunt bow there and they said they didnt need any cause they got one).  I also give some to my mother she just eats a little - a few steaks, burger. Then I usually make a big venison stew or two for the folks at work - and that goes in an hour!  Then will bring up some sausage and some snack sticks for any trips with some buddies for fishing weekends etc.  But the bulk of my deer take goes in the freezer to be used throughout the year.  I will make a couple of crockpots of stew for the GF family to eat but she always seems to get a deer given to her every year. I also usually have a fish fry or two every year when some buddies are around. I always get at least one deer and several takes of fish. I have even had people say or gimme a guilt trip  - "i never get any venison" etc ...well --" I see you maybe once a year and I really dont like you "  is what I want to say - lol   Id say I give away prob about a 1/4 - 1/3 of everything.  I also like that my buddies or family enjoy it.  I really like to make different things like sausages, snacksticks etc.  I also do all of my own butchering as to me thats actually part of the enjoyment .  

Just curious as I know there are people that give it all away or people that give none away.     

• Like 2

I love making the venison bites.  ( bite sized pieces, dab of cream cheese and wrapped in bacon. I’ll share them at work with customers , mailman , neighbors etc. I’ve had so many people who’ve never tried venison say  they loved it.  Jerky also gets shared with everyone. I’ve made bags of that for my daughters ortho assistant ( she’s hot lol ) , my dads friend who owns an appliance store , wife’s coworkers , friends etc.  We utilize our meat and I haven’t shot 3 ( the ideal number ) in a few years so a little light in the freezer. 

• Like 2

I shared meat and meals from this past season (my first deer harvests ever) with my hunting buddies, immediate and extended family, next door neighbor and a couple co-workers.  Sharing food or beer is nothing new so I have no hesitation about sharing what little venison I have with those who appreciate it.

• Like 3

I have to admit, I am rather stingy when it comes to giving venison away.  First off, it's not like I get to kill 5 or 10 deer a year, so the one or two I get won't go a long way if I start giving it away.  I do share with my mother who loves to cook and then most every time will share what she has cooked up back with us.  Certainly have shared meals with people I know that like venison.  The biggest bummer in giving it away is when you give it to someone who has never ate it or maybe ate some that someone else prepared.   You give them a piece or two and then they proceed to cook it to death and then come back to tell you telling you it sucked.  That makes my blood boil for sure, and is one of the main reasons I don't like to share it with people who have never tried it or don't know a damned thing about preparing it correctly.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, steve863 said:

I have to admit, I am rather stingy when it comes to giving venison away.  First off, it's not like I get to kill 5 or 10 deer a year, so the one or two I get won't go a long way if I start giving it away.  I do share with my mother who loves to cook and then most every time will share what she has cooked up back with us.  Certainly have shared meals with people I know that like venison.  The biggest bummer in giving it away is when you give it to someone who has never ate it or maybe ate some that someone else prepared.   You give them a piece or two and then they proceed to cook it to death and then come back to tell you telling you it sucked.  That makes my blood boil for sure, and is one of the main reasons I don't like to share it with people who have never tried it or don't know a damned thing about preparing it correctly.

thats a great point!  I also love to cook and if you prepare it right def makes all the difference.  I know a lot of people that dont hunt always are afraid to leave venison medium and cook it to death. 

7 minutes ago, steve863 said:

You just keep feeding it to Momma. I want her happy and all rev'ed up to keep cooking for anyone you hunt with...lol. If she needs more I'll drive it down myself. 

• Like 1

The 4 guys in our hunting group really share all we take. We have one huge community chest freezer and we keep it there. Anyone needs any they go and get it. When we make our sausages it;s all in there as well. I share with a few relatives that don't hunt any longer and of course it is a mainstay as a dish for anyone that comes into camp. I also bring things to parties like the sausages or venison dishes. I like bringing that becasue it is something that not everyone gets all the time. Seems to always be a hit. 

• Like 2

Fortunate to typically take 5 deer a year and share with most that ask.  Administrative assistant, landowner that gives us permission, co-workers, members of my church, family, barber and the list goes on.  lol.  My family probably eats 2 of the 5 and we still run out before season every year.  Ok by me.  Happy to share if we have it.

• Like 2

After I get my freezer full and have tags left .I've given it to friends, family , friends of family, and the random co worker who hasn't shot game in years., though if I'm giving it away it's usually the entire deer or turkey I don't process it for them . Funniest one was an old school friend who simply  made a post on fb looking for venison ( he doesn't hunt) text him back and said I'd have one for him that evening.. he was in shock when I called and he had hour drive to come get it. Gave him one ever year when he text until he text he wanted one ..so i shot one tfhat day and found out he was in. Los vegas..don't do that anymore... 

Que Biz.....

Ok 

landowners , guys at work, a trainer at the gym who wanted to add it to his “ clean diet “, i practice shooting my bow on a near by large grass area that’s part of a local business’s property, the owner gives me the ok , and I give him slim sticks from Tony . 

I feel sharing venison is a great way to introduce non hunters to the hunting environment.

My grand nephews, and niece,  love venison.  My brother doesn't hunt much anymore, and my nephew is allergic to the fur, so he doesn't hunt anymore. 

Most of my venison goes to them. I keep a little for myself. I make sausage,  ven pastrami, summer sausage, and 90% goes to them.  

My brother in law won't ask me for venison anymore.  He's anti 2a and isn't afraid to voice his opinion. I never said anything to keep the family piece.  Then one New Year's eve,  he started his BS.  Few min later he asked me if I had any venison to spare. Told him I've got a freezer full, however, all my deer were shot with a firearm, and seeing your so against the ownership of such horrible tools of destruction, I wouldn't want to compromise your beliefs by giving you venison harvested with a firearm.  He never asked again.   

• Like 6

I typically only share venison with close friends or family and generally only if they too hunt but had a bad year, I work my ass off hunting to kill my deer every year and I don't like to just hand it out, especially to someone I don't think will appreciate it. I do make salami, sausage, jerky etc. that I will bring to parties and whatnot. I generally never shoot deer and give them away, if I don't personally need them then they walk. When I get to 3 deer for the year I don't plan on killing any more as 3 is good for my wife and I. I will admit it annoys me a bit when people go out and fill every tag they have and just hand it out to people, same with fish, if you don't need them let them go, chances are there is another sportsmen out there who would love the opportunity at it.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

25 minutes ago, chrisw said:

. I will admit it annoys me a bit when people go out and fill every tag they have and just hand it out to people, same with fish, if you don't need them let them go, chances are there is another sportsmen out there who would love the opportunity at it.

The decision for someone to take or not should not be base you what you think is right or wrong or whether a person has tags left over in their pockets. It really should be made on whether the population needs it or not. We have areas that lend themselves to taking as many as you can. The venison donation program is a good program. IMO

• Like 2

The decision for someone to take or not should not be base you what you think is right or wrong or whether a person has tags left over in their pockets. It really should be made on whether the population needs it or not. We have areas that lend themselves to taking as many as you can. The venison donation program is a good program. IMO
I think that some hunters (I know of a few) that are out there for the kill count and they justify their actions by giving the meat away as if it turns them from greedy sportsmen to hero feeding the hungry... Truly overpopulated areas are a different beast altogether and yes I agree that venison donation program is a good thing when the population/habitat allows.

I share with some family and some friends here and there. I don't usually give too much away because when we have venison we typically only eat that if we're going to eat red meat. I used to give half of the deer away to people, but they didnt know how to prepare the meat so they don't ask for it anymore. I certainly don't mind because I prefer to eat venison than beef. A lot of people who don't hunt don't typically understand how much goes into it so they don't really appreciate the meat a lot of the time. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

I share with some family and some friends here and there. I don't usually give too much away because when we have venison we typically only eat that if we're going to eat red meat. I used to give half of the deer away to people, but they didnt know how to prepare the meat so they don't ask for it anymore. I certainly don't mind because I prefer to eat venison than beef. A lot of people who don't hunt don't typically understand how much goes into it so they don't really appreciate the meat a lot of the time. 

Don' know how to prepare the meat ? Not sure what you mean. I agree about the disconnect that people have while eating venison that was given to them.

Just now, Jeremy K said:

Don' know how to prepare the meat ? Not sure what you mean. I agree about the disconnect that people have while eating venison that was given to them.

They didn't know how to cook venison properly. We all know that venison can be very tough when not cooked the right way or using cuts of meat for the wrong dishes

3 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

The 4 guys in our hunting group really share all we take. We have one huge community chest freezer and we keep it there. Anyone needs any they go and get it. When we make our sausages it;s all in there as well. I share with a few relatives that don't hunt any longer and of course it is a mainstay as a dish for anyone that comes into camp. I also bring things to parties like the sausages or venison dishes. I like bringing that becasue it is something that not everyone gets all the time. Seems to always be a hit. 

I need the address of that freezer so I can inspect it. For safety sake. 

• Like 1

For me I have a family of four and we can never take enough to last a whole year. I rarely eat beef on a good venison year, we also raise and process 75-100 meat chickens each year. We like knowing where our food comes from. I will share occasionally if the person is nice enough.