whats your favorite wild game?

Fish....Bluegill filets dusted in flour and sautéed in butter...

Fowl....Teal roasted  medium to medium rare...

small critters...Frog legs  dusted in flour and sautéed in butter...

Bigger critters...Caribou backstrap roasted medium rare on a stick over an open fire in camp...

honorable mention...whitetail liver sliced 1/2 inch thick and fried in bacon fat with lots of onions....

• Like 3

Just now, Culvercreek hunt club said:

It isn't that I didn't like Caribou but found it very bland tasting and the texture a bit more "mushy" than deer, elk or Moose. 

I guess like anything preparation and how it was butchered and such always plays into our opinions of what we think is best. I've taken several and they have always been way better than any corn fed whitetail I have ever had; but thats my take.

Zebra would be my no 1 and depending who you are with, opinions would either rate it as bait or gourmet fare. Most Boer South Africans hate it, Namibian whites generally like it.  

3 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

I guess like anything preparation and how it was butchered and such always plays into our opinions of what we think is best. I've taken several and they have always been way better than any corn fed whitetail I have ever had; but thats my take.

Zebra would be my no 1 and depending who you are with, opinions would either rate it as bait or gourmet fare. Most Boer South Africans hate it, Namibian whites generally like it.  

I killed 13 caribou and  they are buy far my favorite big game, but they have all been fat pre-rut animals taken in late August or early September..  I have heard that rutting caribou are inedible..Even dogs won't eat it..

Moose , to me, is bland....Tastes like whatever you cook it with...

22 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I killed 13 caribou and  they are buy far my favorite big game, but they have all been fat pre-rut animals taken in late August or early September..  I have heard that rutting caribou are inedible..Even dogs won't eat it..

Taken early animals and did the Jan. winter hunt and enjoyed them equally. 

I question how many treat their carcass and still think that influences much of what I have sampled.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

The ones I had were taken in  Early December in Northern Quebec. We processed it right away as far as we could to bring it back over  It was 20 below so I know it didn't spoil...lol

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Amphibians: deep fried, breaded frog legs

Wild caught fish: Deep fried breaded smelt ...... Tartar sauce or horsey sauce, or cocktail sauce. Big problem knowing when to stop.

Game Birds: pheasant or duck

Big game animals: Moose

Place in portville  has froglegs every Wed  and well as sheep sweetbread ... not sure if you want that combo but it seems popular

2 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Have been trying to find a good place to get some frogs.  Frog legs are great.  I had a spot but it's private now.  Tough to find a spot with a good bunch of them.  Saw a ton on a golf course couple years ago.  I didn't ask as I rarely golf anymore so thought they wouldn't go for it. 

I know millers meat market in Lowville ny sells them.

Edited by REDNECK4LIFE32
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

I know millers meat market in Lowville ny sells them.

Wow havent heard that name in a long time!  My brother was good friends with Danny Miller, I think he worked there and went to school with him too. 

We used to stop there on the way to camp at Chase Lake and get steaks .  There and Petes in Glenfield. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish

Of the venison

fresh heart fried

Sika deer steak over coals

Whitetail loins

Moose steak/loins

Birds

wild turkey breast filleted, dusted in flour with pepper, salt and some Cajun seasoning then fried (you guys and your bacon lol bacon make everything good) this is better without!

love a brined grill roasted grouse breast

Others

fresh frog legs fried

fried gator

rabbit pie (quiche)

venison sausages like kobanosy, summer sausage, brats....... so many

canned venison

Fresh fish

Perch fry

Native trout over a camp fire

Fried bullheads, gotta get into this. Have not done for real since I was young.

Edited by Fletch
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Of the venison

fresh heart fried

Sika deer steak over coals

Whitetail loins

Moose steak/loins

Birds

wild turkey breast filleted, dusted in flour with pepper, salt and some Cajun seasoning then fried (you guys and your bacon lol bacon make everything good) this is better without!

love a brined grill roasted grouse breast

Others

fresh frog legs fried

fried gator

rabbit pie (quiche)

venison sausages like kobanosy, summer sausage, brats....... so many

canned venison

Fresh fish

Perch fry

Native trout over a camp fire

thats the way I have been making turkey as well.  But i hit it with a heavy knife a few times before I bread it.  Then have some dipping sauces.  After fishing with a couple of buddies and a couple beers its great.  But i am gonna try the bacon wrapped turkey this year too.  Damn i better fill both tags!   I make pulled BBQ turkey sandwiches with the legs and thighs 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bionic said:

I want to try moose badly.

My dad had moose, and caribou a few years ago.  He said the caribou was to die for, and moose was second best hes ever tried.

moose is awesome they dont move around as much as white tails much more tender .Mule deer and antelope truly suck mulies taste like sage brush and antelope is really tough . I sent you a p/m   i owe you you helped me so much posting videos of my grandson

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tommyc50 said:

moose is awesome they dont move around as much as white tails much more tender .Mule deer and antelope truly suck mulies taste like sage brush and antelope is really tough . I sent you a p/m   i owe you you helped me so much posting videos of my grandson

I got your message, but honestly I feel you have the wrong member.  I cant take credit when its not due.  Unless I am mistaken, but I remember seeing the videos.  Hmmm

As far as what we have in NY, my favorite wild game meat would be whitetail button-buck liver, followed closely by tenderloins, backstraps, and even the roasts of those extra-tender "fatted-calfs".    The corn-fed ones are truly in a class by themselves, especially when cooked rare. 

Next would be ruffed grouse breast, which is also in a class by itself compared to any other bird I have tried.  This white meat actually has lots of rich flavor, not the bland, cardboard taste of turkey or chicken.   

It is hard to beat squirrel in the crockpot, which I much prefer to cottontail rabbit.   I have often made mixed batches and the squirrel is always the tastiest.

For fish, my favorite to eat is largemouth bass, followed closely by their much harder fighting cousin, the smallmouth bass.  These fish have just the right amount of oil to remain moist when baking, grilling or broiling.  Perch and walleye are too dry for these healthier cooking methods and they don't put up enough of a fight to be worthy of much of my time.   Fish tacos made from grilled, just barely keeper-sized bass are as good as seafood gets.