.223 for deer how far would you shoot a deer with one ?

Hunter007

Just now, Storm914 said:

That is the one I was looking at just the other day 2 issues I have tho saw video and they said bolt was a little stiff and finding that ammo locally.

Is, your action smooth ?

Haven't fired it yet.  Just got it Thursday. But it seems smooth to me.  I had to order ammo to go with it and only one box came in. Got 4 more coming and that's probably about all I will ever need.  Was gonna sight it in this weekend but dunno if I will with the weather.  Can't wait to try some shooting with it. 

• Like 1

A 30-30 wpuld be Better than sitting with a .223 and having a 4 or 500 lbs bear walk by shoot it and have it come at you. 

You will enjoy hunting more learning how to get close to game and hunt. Vs target shooting at range.. something special being able to see the whiskers on a deer with no scope and taking the animal.

The American Indian bow was only.abput 30 to 35 lb pull but they lived and thrived using it to take game by getting close.. shooting something something at 500 yards or more may give you a kill but the excitement that comes from close encounters is what it's all about..  Indian warriors were held in high regard if they could sneak in and touch an enemy..

• Like 1

Farthest I had ever taken a deer was 130 yards.   Just down like taking long shots.  Took one that was 200 last year and I felt after I shouldn't have.  Didn't have a good rest.  Have passed a few that far just doesn't feel right for me.  And the places I hunt never getting a shot over 200 at all. I like a gun that makes a big hole.  

6 minutes ago, G-Man said:

A 30-30 wpuld be Better than sitting with a .223 and having a 4 or 500 lbs bear walk by shoot it and have it come at you. 

You will enjoy hunting more learning how to get close to game and hunt. Vs target shooting at range.. something special being able to see the whiskers on a deer with no scope and taking the animal.

The American Indian bow was only.abput 30 to 35 lb pull but they lived and thrived using it to take game by getting close.. shooting something something at 500 yards or more may give you a kill but the excitement that comes from close encounters is what it's all about..  Indian warriors were held in high regard if they could sneak in and touch an enemy..

Where I hunt most the time  your not going to have a shot more then 80 /100  yards .

But I don't want to undergun more then I have to either. 

Just enough to get something nice and short and light. 

For those times when I want to do a lot of walking . 

Edited by Storm914

If you want to use a Varmint Rifle ( 223 ) why not go with the 17 HMR ......

.17 HMR
Illustration courtesy of Hornady Mfg. Co.

The .17 HMR is based on the .22 Magnum case necked-down to accept .172" diameter bullets. New, sophisticated projectiles were designed specifically for the new cartridge, and enough Hodgdon's Li'l Gun powder was used to give a 17 grain bullet a MV of 2550 fps and ME of 245 ft. lbs. in the Hornady factory load. Quality control was (and is) very tight; the goal is MOA (or better) accuracy from factory loaded .17 HMR ammunition. The result of all this is the highest velocity, flattest shooting, and most accurate rimfire small game and varmint cartridge ever produced.

4 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

.17 HMR

The .17 HMR is based on the .22 Magnum case necked-down to accept .172" diameter bullets. New, sophisticated projectiles were designed specifically for the new cartridge, and enough Hodgdon's Li'l Gun powder was used to give a 17 grain bullet a MV of 2550 fps and ME of 245 ft. lbs. in the Hornady factory load. Quality control was (and is) very tight; the goal is MOA (or better) accuracy from factory loaded .17 HMR ammunition. The result of all this is the highest velocity, flattest shooting, and most accurate rimfire small game and varmint cartridge ever produced.

Or you could  use 22lr :)

7 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

.17 HMR

Not to sound too dang funny but my .177 is about the same size minus the gun powder to push the projectile no?

25 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

If you want to use a Varmint Rifle ( 223 ) why not go with the 17 HMR

The .223 is a very versatile caliber. It is not only a varmint caliber. There are at least 17 different bullet configurations from .36 gain to .80 grain bullets that can be loaded. I wouldn't shoot a moose or bear with it but it is more than adequate for a lot of game.  It has been known to totally destroy a coyote or fox making the fox or coyote worthless if not loaded properly. They shoot well out of my Browning A-bolt .  But to each their own.

And besides...the .17WSM would be a much better choice over the .17 HMR

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 2

I’ve killed them out to about 180yds with a .223. In my experience I wouldn’t shoot one at 0yds. I have killed truck loads of deer with a .223 when I was stationed down south and it was my only rifle but I was never happy with the performance and I tried a bunch of different bullets. If I didn’t hit cns and have them drop right there they were always hard to find with a small blood trail. If you hit cns with enough energy to disrupt it you can kill them with a B.B. gun but no ones perfect so you have to plan for that and that’s why I feel the .223 isn’t adequate.

All my experience with a 223 is with a lot smaller deer in eastern NC, eastern SC AND NE Georgia. I don’t know if I killed a single deer that went over 125lbs live weight with the 223. That’s a sizable amount smaller than a NY deer especially if your talking about the Adirondacks.

If short and light is what you want it’s hard to beat a kimber for the money, don’t waster the money on the Adirondack with the shorter factory barrel buy what ever one you want then take it to a competent gun smith and have the barrel sacked of to 16-18”. You can do this yourself with minimum tools I have done a bunch of them and it really not hard at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

The only deer I've ever shot with a .223 was a doe that taunted me for over a week by walking along the edge of a ravine every afternoon during shotgun season. I was hungry, and used a 14" TC contender to drop her in her tracks with a head shot. I won't apologize for it.

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

If you hit cns with enough energy to disrupt it you can kill them with a B.B. gun

So a guy at work lives in a trendy suburb, that  has deer issues . So,one  evening a deer is in his garden , so,he shoots it with a pellet gun .

Next morning neighbor knocks on his door to tell him there a dead deer in his yard .....

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

I have a 223 and would never consider using it to shoot deer

Like I said before...to each their own. I have been successful with it and will continue to use it. 5 out of 5 with no tracking or losses is good enough for me:

Here is a "pasted" article on the subject. Not trying to convince anyone to use it. Storm914 asked the question and I replied based on my experience.

One of NRA’s contracted experts, Richard Mann, helped develop the Bullet Test tube. (It’s slightly harder material than the gelatin used in Federal’s test.) Mann tested Federal’s loads in it and on deer, and here’s what he found:

“The .223 Remington is a suitable cartridge for hunting deer, within its limitation. This cartridge relies on velocity to drive the lightweight bullets deep. This same velocity contributes to tissue damage. The key to using a .223 Remington on deer is to keep impact velocities high. In other words don't shoot deer much beyond 150 yards. Past that distance, the velocity drops below the level needed for dynamic bullet expansion. When robustly constructed bullets like the Barnes TSX, Nosler Partition and Fusion are used inside 150 yards, penetration with the .223 Remington is on par with cartridges like the .243 and the .30-30 Winchester.”

Ok, so we heard from the nerds in the lab coats, what do the guys that shoot deer for a living think? My friend John Shaw has killed more deer than anyone I know—he’s managed an exotic game farm, worked on a Texas whitetail ranch, passionately hunts whitetail in numerous states using the .224 and .22-250. He has also culled scores of does for meat, depredation, and management purposes. John has this to say:

“I rely on my 22 centerfires more so than any other caliber. Low recoil and the typical pinpoint accuracy found in rifles of .224 caliber allow for careful shot placement. If you treat hunting with your .223 much like bow hunting and wait for the perfect shot, there is no reason that this caliber should not be considered for many applications. However, bullet choice is a major factor. Shots to the central nervous system with any type of bullet will work but I recommend premium, controlled expansion bullets, such as Barnes Triple Shocks, Nosler Partitions, and Trophy Bonded Bear Claws. Typically, I keep shots under 200 yards but animals hit in the shoulder, heart, and lung region with a quality bullet expire quickly."

The Conclusion
I’m not saying the .223 is the perfect whitetail bullet, I wouldn’t pack it on a trophy hunt or where long shots were likely but, with the right bullet, it is a legitimate choice for some big game animals. With big game bullets ranging in weight from 55gr. to 70gr., it’s versatile at a range of velocities.

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 4

This is both short and light.  6.xxlbs but still has a heavy fluted 16” barrel in 308.  Would meet your criteria.  Looking forward to shooting it.  Assuming it’s accurate, I could see this becoming my favorite deer rifle.  Very comfortable. 

23ADA9EC-DC12-44F7-B036-E5BF90E30146.jpeg

• Like 2

If you double lung it, not much muzzle energy is needed to put that round through both lungs. The problem with 223 and I speak from some experience, is that if you do not double lung it you will not wound it as heavily, which results in a poorer blood trail, and greater odds of not recovering it.

A lot of people are bad shots. I am a good shot at the range (better than average. Not bragging, but holy crap some people are just incapable of good groups even off a bench at 100 yards. I don't understand it) , but in the woods substantially less so. There are some medium game 223 cartridges. Just be sure you have a good shot and that you ARE a good shot.

It's still not as good as a big ass round, and last year I took my muzzleloader out during regular gun and left the scoped 223 at home.

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

fluted 16” barrel in 308.

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

Looking forward to shooting it

With a 16" barrel I doubt it will be enjoyable to shoot. The 16 inchers are loud. How were you able to buy it when it is "non-compliant" and the registration option is closed?

With a 16" barrel I doubt it will be enjoyable to shoot. The 16 inchers are loud. How were you able to buy it when it is "non-compliant" and the registration option is closed?

Probably a pinned mag.

Having a bunch of guns with 16-18” barrels I have never found them unpleasantries shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Steve D said:

My guess is he has the mag fixed in place . So it's no longer an assault rifle in NY 

I have killed deer with  a .222 Rem.... It was the only centerfire rifle I owned at the time..

If a ..223 was all I had, I would hunt deer with it, considering its limitations...

However, there are many better choices  for deer, and quite a few of them are not heavy kickers, either...

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Steve D said:

Loud!!!  I always use ear protection when I shoot loud never enters my mind when I buy a rifle 

Edited by Storm914