.223 for deer how far would you shoot a deer with one ?

Hunter007

I honestly avoid 223 not because it wont kill deer but because it damages more meat than my 270 or 30-06. I hunt with a cheap charter arms field kill 30-06 that's amazingly light. I use it over my other more expensive 06's due to its lighter weight. Also if you have the money for it my buddy shoots a kimber mountain accent that's extremely light i think less than 5 lbs before the optic.

Edited by andr3wxmma

3 hours ago, Steve D said:

With a 16" barrel I doubt it will be enjoyable to shoot. The 16 inchers are loud. How were you able to buy it when it is "non-compliant" and the registration option is closed?

Buckmaster nailed it.  Pinned mag makes it compliant.   Loud doesn’t concern me.  It’s not a plinking gun. 

23 hours ago, Storm914 said:

Ok let me ask you this one if I wanted to get the shortest light carbine 6 pounds or less  that I can find that  could smack deer ethically .

In an AR platform, you can get a .458 SOCOM that is the same weight as a carbine length .223, and still be slinging a 250 or 300 grain hunk of lead. Other than the upper, everything on the rifle is standard AR fare, even the magazines, as you use a regular 223 mag with them. If I was going to buy a light weight carbine for big game, thats what Id be going with.

• Like 1

No, in my opinion, a .223 is a bit under-gunned for reliable deer killing. That's not to say that it can't be done, but there are so many other calibers that do a so much better job in a far more reliable fashion.

1 hour ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

In an AR platform, you can get a .458 SOCOM that is the same weight as a carbine length .223, and still be slinging a 250 or 300 grain hunk of lead. Other than the upper, everything on the rifle is standard AR fare, even the magazines, as you use a regular 223 mag with them. If I was going to buy a light weight carbine for big game, thats what Id be going with.

Ok that looks cool .

But how do go  about putting one together here legally with all the safe act regs 

(Just assume I know almost nothing about AR platforms )

Now you got me thinking of lots of questions .

Here goes my list .

If i want to buy .458 SOCOM 

I buy a AR lower. can you buy them already   with a fixed mag  or do I have to pin it my self  after i buy it and  what attachment method is compliant with the Safe Act can I drill and tap the mag in place or does it have to be pop riveted or spot welded in place for example  or all of the above methods would be legal .

Can I do all this myself or I do have to use a gunsmith FFL 

To buy the parts and put them together .

I dont really get the law on this .  is it legal to  buy a intact  AR as long as you pin the mag after you buy it ?  Or you have to buy parts and pin it before you assemble it ?

I think I'm going to get The .450 Bushmaster Ruger American  

Like the looks of traditional rifle much better to be honest.

Plus less headache with all the regs on any scary black gun :) 

Edited by Storm914

32 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

Ok that looks cool .

But how do go  about putting one together here legally with all the safe act regs 

(Just assume I know almost nothing about AR platforms )

Now you got me thinking of lots of questions .

Here goes my list .

If i want to buy .458 SOCOM 

I buy a AR lower. can you buy them already   with a fixed mag  or do I have to pin it my self  after i buy it and  what attachment method is compliant with the Safe Act can I drill and tap the mag in place or does it have to be pop riveted or spot welded in place for example  or all of the above methods would be legal .

Can I do all this myself or I do have to use a gunsmith FFL 

To buy the parts and put them together .

I dont really get the law on this .  is it legal to  buy a intact  AR as long as you pin the mag after you buy it ?  Or you have to buy parts and pin it before you assemble it ?

I think I'm going to get The .450 Bushmaster Ruger American  

Like the looks of traditional rifle much better to be honest.

Plus less headache with all the regs on any scary black gun :) 

You can go two ways, first is buy a lower (or stripped and parts) and an upper from RRA or one of the other companies that make them, then get the parts to make it compliant and put it together. Second way would be to talk to a LGS and have a non-compliant one shipped to them, then have them do the work before they transfer it to you.

I will have a new AR on its way this week. The rifle I am buying is non-compliant, and the shop doing the transfer is going to make it compliant. I actually found one thats less money than I can build one for. BTW, you DO NOT have to pin the mag. I confirmed this with my county's DA, and the sheriffs department, the MagLock is compliant.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

You can go two ways, first is buy a lower (or stripped and parts) and an upper from RRA or one of the other companies that make them, then get the parts to make it compliant and put it together. Second way would be to talk to a LGS and have a non-compliant one shipped to them, then have them do the work before they transfer it to you.

I will have a new AR on its way this week. The rifle I am buying is non-compliant, and the shop doing the transfer is going to make it compliant. I actually found one thats less money than I can build one for. BTW, you DO NOT have to pin the mag. I confirmed this with my county's DA, and the sheriffs department, the MagLock is compliant.

Thanks can you put some links of good shops in NY they specialize in that stuff ? If decide to get one . 

Edited by Storm914

1 minute ago, Storm914 said:

Thanks can you put some links of good shops in NY they specialize in that stuff ? If decide to get one . 

Im not sure where you are located, but if you are in the WNY area, you can go through Top Notch Firearm Sales. That who will be handling mine. His name is Keith, really nice guy, but youll have to make an appointment, as its a side thing for him. His regular job is as a Sheriffs deputy.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Im not sure where you are located, but if you are in the WNY area, you can go through Top Notch Firearm Sales. That who will be handling mine. His name is Keith, really nice guy, but youll have to make an appointment, as its a side thing for him. His regular job is as a Sheriffs deputy.

Thanks  no but I got relatives that live up that way so I go up there a lot to visit .

I wonder  do they make a 458 SOCOM with the AR action that fits into a traditional stock if you know what I mean that looks like a mini 14 . Or can it be built that way do you think .

2 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

Thanks  no but I got relatives that live up that way so I go up there a lot to visit .

I wonder  do they make a 458 SOCOM with the AR action that fits into a traditional stock if you know what I mean that looks like a mini 14 . Or can it be built that way do you think .

The ARs are mil spec which means all the parts should be interchangeable from manufacturer to manufacturer.  Not sure you will find a traditional looking 458 socom semi but once you start handling the AR I bet you find it more comfortable than a traditional stock.  Very adjustable.  

Having just gone through the process, pinning the mag is not a bad option for hunting.  It allows you to put whatever features you want on the gun.  I used a 10rd mag and will add a limiter for hunting to 5.  And it’s really easy to both load and unload.   And while I know no one here would ever break the law, the pinning is not difficult to undue if required for repairs or whatever. 

1 minute ago, moog5050 said:

The ARs are mil spec which means all the parts should be interchangeable from manufacturer to manufacturer.  Not sure you will find a traditional looking 458 socom semi but once you start handling the AR I bet you find it more comfortable than a traditional stock.  Very adjustable.  

Having just gone through the process, pinning the mag is not a bad option for hunting.  It allows you to put whatever features you want on the gun.  I used a 10rd mag and will add a limiter for hunting to 5.  And it’s really easy to both load and unload.   And while I know no one here would ever break the law, the pinning is not difficult to undue if required for repairs or whatever. 

I don't know I hunt a lot of public land and I think I  would feel uncomfortable carrying around any  black scary rifle. :)   

i know there better when you planing on moving around with it in hand tho . My Pcp airgun has a pistol grip and it is  definitely  better when you are moving around with gun In hand .

Moog, is there something u can easily add to your ten rounder to make it a five? I have a five rounder locked into my gun all the time, and wish it was a ten for target shooting situations. Storm... look into the 6.8 spc. Excellent round for deer. I have two buddy’s that are now using it for deer in the ar platform and they love it just as much as me. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MrGroundhog said:

Moog, is there something u can easily add to your ten rounder to make it a five? I have a five rounder locked into my gun all the time, and wish it was a ten for target shooting situations. Storm... look into the 6.8 spc. Excellent round for deer. I have two buddy’s that are now using it for deer in the ar platform and they love it just as much as me. 

Yep, you pop the baseplate off the mag and you can add a spacer so that it will only accept 5 rounds and there are a lot commercially available that sit inside of the spring in the mag to limit travel.  Takes 2 minutes to put it in or remove it.  Magblock makes a bunch of them.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

I don't know I hunt a lot of public land and I think I  would feel uncomfortable carrying around any  black scary rifle. :)   

i know there better when you planing on moving around with it in hand tho . My Pcp airgun has a pistol grip and it is  definitely  better when you are moving around with gun In hand .

Just call it your modern sporting rifle and you will be ok.  Lol

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

Or you can go featureless and use the thordsen but you will have to forfeit any muzzle brakes

You Can't Beat My Meat!!!

And the pistol grip and adjustable stock.  I didn’t like the thordsen.   It was my original plan until I shouldered one 

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 1

I have killed 2 deer with a 22-250 at 200yds both head shots. Out of the back of a hay wagon on a nuisance permit. I had to kill the deer on the permit so I could hunt the land. the land owner donated the deer to needy members of his church. The only reason I used the 22-250 was for safety concerns. the 55gr bullet had less chance of pass though and knowing. I would only take head shots I knew I would more than likely kill the deer in place.

That being said I would not use a 22 cal. for deer hunting. I know you can kill deer with a 22cal but there are to many good deer calibers out there. If I had the choice of using a 223 or a shotgun 12 or 20ga setup for deer hunting I would take the shotgun every time.