.223 for deer how far would you shoot a deer with one ?

Hunter007

1 hour ago, Storm914 said:

Thanks  no but I got relatives that live up that way so I go up there a lot to visit .

I wonder  do they make a 458 SOCOM with the AR action that fits into a traditional stock if you know what I mean that looks like a mini 14 . Or can it be built that way do you think .

They have wood stocks for ARs

3tuteYu.jpg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I think Stags NY compliant stock would be more comfortable than the Thordsen, its still hideous

3STAG11111-660x207.jpg

Where does your right thumb go on that stock?   And now you have me wanting to buy a 458 socom upper.  Lol

Edited by moog5050

6 hours ago, Storm914 said:

This one I like 

Now that is as close to a PURTY  AR as I have ever seen...

I always  liked the looks of some of the FN/FALS such as the L1A1....They are about  the most modern military rifle that appeals to me, although  M14  is not bad either, due to its resemblance to the M1 Garand...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Your thumb Dan.   Not mine!

That reminds me of my Old Fat father's cure for hiccups...Stick one finger in your mouth and the other one up your a**...

If that doesn't work, change fingers...

• Haha 1

On 3/10/2018 at 2:31 PM, Steve D said:

Like I said before...to each their own. I have been successful with it and will continue to use it. 5 out of 5 with no tracking or losses is good enough for me:

Here is a "pasted" article on the subject. Not trying to convince anyone to use it. Storm914 asked the question and I replied based on my experience.

One of NRA’s contracted experts, Richard Mann, helped develop the Bullet Test tube. (It’s slightly harder material than the gelatin used in Federal’s test.) Mann tested Federal’s loads in it and on deer, and here’s what he found:

“The .223 Remington is a suitable cartridge for hunting deer, within its limitation. This cartridge relies on velocity to drive the lightweight bullets deep. This same velocity contributes to tissue damage. The key to using a .223 Remington on deer is to keep impact velocities high. In other words don't shoot deer much beyond 150 yards. Past that distance, the velocity drops below the level needed for dynamic bullet expansion. When robustly constructed bullets like the Barnes TSX, Nosler Partition and Fusion are used inside 150 yards, penetration with the .223 Remington is on par with cartridges like the .243 and the .30-30 Winchester.”

Ok, so we heard from the nerds in the lab coats, what do the guys that shoot deer for a living think? My friend John Shaw has killed more deer than anyone I know—he’s managed an exotic game farm, worked on a Texas whitetail ranch, passionately hunts whitetail in numerous states using the .224 and .22-250. He has also culled scores of does for meat, depredation, and management purposes. John has this to say:

“I rely on my 22 centerfires more so than any other caliber. Low recoil and the typical pinpoint accuracy found in rifles of .224 caliber allow for careful shot placement. If you treat hunting with your .223 much like bow hunting and wait for the perfect shot, there is no reason that this caliber should not be considered for many applications. However, bullet choice is a major factor. Shots to the central nervous system with any type of bullet will work but I recommend premium, controlled expansion bullets, such as Barnes Triple Shocks, Nosler Partitions, and Trophy Bonded Bear Claws. Typically, I keep shots under 200 yards but animals hit in the shoulder, heart, and lung region with a quality bullet expire quickly."

The Conclusion
I’m not saying the .223 is the perfect whitetail bullet, I wouldn’t pack it on a trophy hunt or where long shots were likely but, with the right bullet, it is a legitimate choice for some big game animals. With big game bullets ranging in weight from 55gr. to 70gr., it’s versatile at a range of velocities.

The thing I hate about a .223 and writers/testers.. as soon as with the right bullet and within it's limitations are mentioned it's not for the average hunter.. it's undergunned for the task at hand for most hunters.. I have a friend that dropped bucks ever year with a .243. One day a nice mature buck pops out at about 100 yards he shoots buck drops..he gets out of stand buck gets up and runs off..minimal blood trail.. he never had to even track one before..bang and flop on at least 15 deer I recall. We looks door hours and never found that buck.. he was on cover of national shooting sports several times..he gave up the. 243 and went to a .308. Lost his biggest buck to a marginal gun that 90% of all hunters would use without hesitation.. he now has a margin of error worked in to his gun..

I get the argument, but a poorly placed shot is the same no matter what the caliber.  I know there's supposed to be more leeway with a bigger caliber, but I've seen enough deer hit poorly with a 30-06 to have my doubts about this argument.  I'm not saying I would choose a .223 to hunt deer.  I think accuracy has way more to do with results than caliber.  

8 minutes ago, stubborn1VT said:

Whatever.  Shoot a deer in the heart/lungs and they die.  Case closed.

You have to have penetration  into the heart and lungs.. I saw a .223 hit a bear when we skun it the bullet made it to the ribs.never penetrated the chest cavity..and.that was at about 5 yards.. .45 and 12 ga and 7mm all had pass throughs. Though the aim point of the .223 was correct.. a margin for error is always better when unexpected game or shot arises

1 hour ago, stubborn1VT said:

I get the argument, but a poorly placed shot is the same no matter what the caliber.  I know there's supposed to be more leeway with a bigger caliber, but I've seen enough deer hit poorly with a 30-06 to have my doubts about this argument.  I'm not saying I would choose a .223 to hunt deer.  I think accuracy has way more to do with results than caliber.  

But was the poorly hit 30.06 track able and recovered? How about a poor .223 shot.. larger hole = more blood.. that is the margine of error

12 minutes ago, stubborn1VT said:

Next thing you'll be telling me you can kill them just by shooting CLOSE to them (if you use a big enough gun).

I shot one in the antler once. Does that count?...lol.. about an inch above his skull and he died.