.223 for deer how far would you shoot a deer with one ?

Hunter007

8 hours ago, stubby68 said:

With running deer swing gun. Keeping cross hairs on spot you want to hit fallow deer with gun through the trigger pull. With loping deer wait till deer is at high point of lope aim just in front of chest squeeze trigger when you first see Brown enter into scope. Deer will fall into line of bullet and when it lands will crumble to the ground dead. At least that is what I was taught and it always has worked for me.

Ok, I am looking through the scope, following the deer and just as my trigger squeeze fires, a little bit of blaze orange shows up in the scope. I'm not talking about muzzle flash either. There's more than one reason for not taking running shots.

I am also trying to figure out how you are looking through the scope for brown to appear and at the same time following the deer and at the same time determining that he is at the high point of the lope. That's a whole lot of stuff going on all at the same time.

No, I think I will stay with my usual thought of letting deer that are running pass without a shot. If I've done my hunting right, he won't even know that I'm there.

• Like 1

ive only shot at one running deer in my life and it only went about 15 yards down a trail straight away and it turned broadside at 40 yards.  When it jumped out it was only like 20 yards out of some thick brush.  Otherwise im not shooting at a running deer, unless i am in a treestand and it is a downward shot and if i miss it goes into the ground where i know no one is around. And thats if they arent running full bore.   But from the level ground- i always pass or wait til they stop.  

Ive shot plenty of deer on the run, during drives, still hunting, hunting from a treestand, on the ground, etc. I know where Im hunting, where the safe shooting lanes and areas are and if anyone else is around, I know where they will be. The same basic rules apply to shooting an animal thats standing still and shooting one on the run. Know your background, dont shoot at a silhouetted animal (such as on a hill top), know your background, and finally, know your background. I will say, that Ive missed a few here and there when they have been moving, but I always knew where my bullet would end up if I did miss, or it passed through the deer.

Don't lose your cookies Doc. If you shoot with both eyes open none of of it is the hard and oh will see that orange before you squeeze. A so sounds  like you are saying deer always leap when running. That s not thaw case. Running is different from leaping. This is just how I was thought and it has worked very well for myself and many others. That orange you speak of could just as easily pop up during he squeeze while you are shooting at a standing deer. Or maybe there could be a guy in full camp hiding in brush on other side of deer. If we never took a shot just because there might possible be someone on the other side then no deer would ever be shot at. If you do not like to take running shots that is fine. Do what you are comfortable with.

On 3/13/2018 at 1:45 PM, WNYBuckHunter said:

If you are trimming properly, theres only 5 or 6 lbs of meat on the front shoulders anyhow.

it's more the PITA of trimming around it all and having bone frags everywhere in the shoulders. it was just messy so i stopped.  front shoulder always gets combined with other cuts for ground meat. i don't think i've ever weighed them out separately.

On 3/12/2018 at 9:57 AM, moog5050 said:

Complete with the contrasting black fire suppressor. 

here in NY evil people add a "muzzle break". not sure what the intent is though and if that's the same as a muzzle brake or flash suppressor.  might be a self destruction feature pointed out only in the text of the NY Safe Act.  Never know what evil inventions are out there though.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

it's more the PITA of trimming around it all and having bone frags everywhere in the shoulders. it was just messy so i stopped.  front shoulder always gets combined with other cuts for ground meat. i don't think i've ever weighed them out separately.

I usually target the shoulders because they dont go far, if anywhere. Plus, like I said, not much meat there so to me, its not a big loss. Id rather lose the meat and have a short track. I think the longest I had one go after a shoulder shot was 60ish yards, and that only happened once. Every other time they have been DRT or 20-30 yards away from where they were hit.

11 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

here in NY evil people add a "muzzle break". not sure what the intent is though and if that's the same as a muzzle brake or flash suppressor.  might be a self destruction feature pointed out only in the text of the NY Safe Act.  Never know what evil inventions are out there though.

A break in your muzzle is evil.  The compensator or brake just reduces recoil.  

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 4:23 PM, stubby68 said:

Do what you are comfortable with.        

Yeah that's the bottom line. We all set our limits at a different place. I just don't feel comfortable blazing away at a running deer. Obviously a lot of people do. Those 5-shot volleys that I hear occasionally says that there are people who hunt like they are on a cleared and back-stopped rifle range .....ha-ha-ha.

I do get a kick out of those who claim to know exactly everything that is behind the deer that they are shooting at. Unless they are hunting in a cleared gravel pit, that likely is not really the case. It makes a nice little phrase during hunter safety training class, but if we want to be honest, we are really only sure of what we can see and what is visible at any specific split second. 

But like you say, do what you are comfortable with.

• Like 3

On 3/13/2018 at 2:38 PM, Doc said:

Ok, I am looking through the scope, following the deer and just as my trigger squeeze fires, a little bit of blaze orange shows up in the scope. I'm not talking about muzzle flash either. There's more than one reason for not taking running shots.

I am also trying to figure out how you are looking through the scope for brown to appear and at the same time following the deer and at the same time determining that he is at the high point of the lope. That's a whole lot of stuff going on all at the same time.

No, I think I will stay with my usual thought of letting deer that are running pass without a shot. If I've done my hunting right, he won't even know that I'm there.

I here boom boom boom boom and boom in rapid succession every year opening weekend and usally more then once  pretty sure that is someone taking shots at running deer . People do it and miss more then they are going to admit or wound and  never recover the deer .

6 hours ago, Doc said:

Yeah that's the bottom line. We all set our limits at a different place. I just don't feel comfortable blazing away at a running deer. Obviously a lot of people do. Those 5-shot volleys that I hear occasionally says that there are people who hunt like they are on a cleared and back-stopped rifle range .....ha-ha-ha.

I do get a kick out of those who claim to know exactly everything that is behind the deer that they are shooting at. Unless they are hunting in a cleared gravel pit, that likely is not really the case. It makes a nice little phrase during hunter safety training class, but if we want to be honest, we are really only sure of what we can see and what is visible at any specific split second. 

But like you say, do what you are comfortable with.

Most of the land I hunt in the southern zone is as flat as a pancake.   As long as I am shooting from an elevated position, it is easy to see over the entire trajectory of the bullet, thru the deer and beyond.  In this situation the running shots are extremely safe.   Shooting towards the ground from above is comparable to shooting into a backstop from the same level.    I am most comfortable hunting 6-10 feet above level ground.  A fall from such a height would probably not hurt me that bad (it would also be very unlikely considering the 3 ft rails around most of my stands), and there is little worry about where my bullets will end up.    

Edited by wolc123