.223 for deer how far would you shoot a deer with one ?

Hunter007

2 minutes ago, G-Man said:

But was the poorly hit 30.06 track able and recovered? How about a poor .223 shot.. larger hole = more blood.. that is the margine of error

People often call me to track.  The last 3 rifle deer I tracked were all with 30-06.  They were trackable, but not recovered.  By your logic, they just need to shoot more gun.  By my logic, they need to be more accurate.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ncountry said:

I shot one in the antler once. Does that count?...lol.. about an inch above his skull and he died.

No, it doesn't count.  Good story though.  Was it a racker?  I knew a guy who missed a huge buck with his bow.  He sent an arrow through it's antlers.  Guess where he was looking!

Just now, stubborn1VT said:

No, it doesn't count.  Good story though.  Was it a racker?  I knew a guy who missed a huge buck with his bow.  He sent an arrow through it's antlers.  Guess where he was looking!

A decent 2 1/2 year 8 point.. it was  in my earlier years of hunting.. I would be ashamed to take the same shot again. ( I was taught the how and why of hunting by "redneck outlaws"). A poor excuse I know, but it took me quite a few deer and years before I acquired  better standards. If you jump a deer and he is running away aim at the back of his head they said.. you will hit them somewhere between the head and the a$$.

Well , I hit him in the antler.  I watched him drop at the shot. So I walked over to him and there he lay with the antler about 10 feet behind him.. I couldn't find a hole anywhere in his head.

21 minutes ago, stubborn1VT said:

People often call me to track.  The last 3 rifle deer I tracked were all with 30-06.  They were trackable, but not recovered.  By your logic, they just need to shoot more gun.  By my logic, they need to be more accurate.  

This is all I'll add to this thread:

The last sentence in the quote above says more than all posts in this thread.

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ncountry said:

I hate that saying.;). Now..

Chances are you will kill them.  But will you find them ?

I have a really good track record of finding them.  I'm a sitter, so I don't jump many deer.  Most of the time you find them if you're willing to stick with it.  

Just now, stubborn1VT said:

I have a really good track record of finding them.  I'm a sitter, so I don't jump many deer.  Most of the time you find them if you're willing to stick with it.  

Absolutely !  I never pull the trigger unless I "know" I'm going to  hit them. I have seen many a deer run away without a shot fired...lol.

Even with years of practice I havnt mastered the proper lead on a deer. 70 % of the running deer I have shot I shot in the guts. With the proper load they are always within 100yds tops.

I am a little biased against the 223 because of a friend that always carried one. I have tracked too many of his deer over hills and through the swamps that would  have been dead long before with a "better" caliber and bullet choice.. 

Or like you said. A good shot and it wouldn't have been a bad tracking job.

A patient hunter who never takes a low odds shot would be fine with one though. A 223 Is adequate 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ncountry said:

Even with years of practice I havnt mastered the proper lead on a deer. 70 % of the running deer I have shot I shot in the guts

I personally never take a shot at a running deer.

12 minutes ago, ncountry said:

A patient hunter who never takes a low odds shot would be fine

I always thought it was expected to make a shot you would be confident in ending with a good hit. Low odd shots are not for me regardless of what I am carrying. I would rather let them walk first.

• Like 1

If only 100% Accuracy and perfect shots were all that were taken there would be very few deer taken. I have and I will admit to shooting deer in the liver intentionally knowing it would kill it and then wait on the recovery. But some guns are just not recommended for medium size game.. I remember a fad of killing turkeys with smaller.and smaller gauge shotguns.. ending up with 28ga .. was pushed by the nwtf..even made the gun of the year in smaller ga  every year.. glad that fad has passed....

Some.recommended calibers for deer

http://www.chuckhawks.com/gun_game.htm

22 minutes ago, stubborn1VT said:

Well if chuckhawks.com says so then it must be the gospel!

The only reason I  would use a less powerful bullet then something like a 30-06 or 12ga  for deer  is to  get a  lighter shorter  gun . So I may compromise a little for that 

Or else I don't see  no good reason to use less powerful ammo like a .223  unless that is all you got.  

Bigger bullet bigger hole .

But to each his own 

Edited by Storm914

5 hours ago, stubborn1VT said:

How about some sensible application of adequate caliber and shooter competency? It needn't be just one or the other.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Now that is as close to a PURTY  AR as I have ever seen...

I always  liked the looks of some of the FN/FALS such as the L1A1....They are about  the most modern military rifle that appeals to me, although  M14  is not bad either, due to its resemblance to the M1 Garand...

Just imagine that piston drive beauty with a nice, big adjustable scope on top! Woooo-doggie!

• Like 2

i know of very successful hunters that won't shoot anything smaller than a 338-06, 45-70, or 375 H&H for whitetail and still aren't satisfied. lol if i had a 223 in my hands it'd be something like 200 yards or less in the WIDE OPEN. it'd also have to be a decent bullet too. to just barely get a pass thru. it's not going far if i do my part. there's better options out there though that even a kid can handle.

Here's the way I think about it, if your trying to dig a big hole and you have the choice of a shovel or a backhoe, you'd probably choose the backhoe. The shovel will get the job done, just not as easily. There may be better choices than the .223, but if your very selective with shots and have the right set up you'll be fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Hes gonna need an adult coloring book after he sees this...

Capture.JPG

Damn thing looks like something Buck Rogers would use to hunt Lunar Elk....

At least the silly thing has some WOOD  on it, albeit laminate...

• Haha 1