Transporting Your Harvest

Bobonli

On 3/10/2018 at 6:07 PM, Bobonli said:

What strategies do you use to transport your harvest when you do not have a pickup truck?

I attended my bowhunter education course and the instructor asked to see the hands of people who don't have a truck. We were talking about how to avoid bringing ticks home with you in your car. To my surprise I was the only person in a room of 50 to raise a hand. I drive a small SUV. And I really hadn't given this much thought! I figured I would just field dress and put the meat in a cooler or, if that was not practical, put the seats down and lay out a tarp. The instructor said that I should expect the car to be inhabited by ticks if I did that. 

So, I'm open to suggestions and advice. How to you move your harvest around if you don't have a truck?
My car has a light duty trailer hitch for a bike rack. The first thought that comes to mind is one of those fold down metal trays, with the animal wrapped in a tarp to be discrete.

Thank you.

It really depends but lately I have been picking up firewood when I was hunting at my parents so I just use the pickup. The deer just got stacked on top of the firewood. In our Vibe (hatchback) we just throw it on the roof rack with a couple ratchet straps. I've had more people give me thumbs up than disgusted looks not that the disgusted looks would bother me. My father in law has been known to use some 6 mil plastic and wrap it up like you see them do with dead bodies on TV and throw it in the trunk. I've heard of people using body bags, kind of weird to see your neighbor pull a body bag out of their trunk and drag it into their garage.

20171123_175549.jpg

Edited by chas0218
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, cbyzerman said:

I actually hide my deer under moving blankets in the back of my pick up.  I know I am a disgrace but my neighborhood is all antis and trust me you can not win with them lunitics.......... 

So you mean hanging them from a tree in the front yard isn't going to work as a meat pole?

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/13/2018 at 7:12 PM, cbyzerman said:

I actually hide my deer under moving blankets in the back of my pick up.  I know I am a disgrace but my neighborhood is all antis and trust me you can not win with them lunitics.......... 

Sounds like your Neighbors need a few Gut Piles dropped off in their driveways ?   LOL

field dressing and skinning sounds good in theory but isn't super easy. Especially at night or inclement weather. You can buy bags that contain the whole gutted deer. Should be good for ticks. I had this plan before i bought a truck and all I had was the wife's rav4. never needed it, but i was ready lol. Also the trailer hitch cart isn't too bad either but I'd still want to cover to keep gunk off. 

I either throw them in the trunk (Chevy equinox-hate this f’ing car!) or use a rack. Rack is annoying because it folds up and blocks the access.
I hang any deer right in my backyard(no suitable trees in the front) in Westchester county (20 min from Manhattan and loaded with bleeding heart libs). More times than not I will have neighbors curious and it gives me an opportunity to educate the antis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 3/10/2018 at 7:53 PM, Bionic said:

I agree a thousand percent.  I am 31, and i remember the bus ride to school.  I started deer hunting at a yound age, and loved riding the bus, watching for bucks hanging in peoples yards.   You dont see that anymore! It is like everyone is afraid of upsetting others.  I always say if you are going to argue with me against hunting, you better be a vegan.

Love this and I also agree. No need to be incendiary or rude, but certainly don't need to go through special lengths to hide or be secret!

• Like 2

On 4/6/2018 at 8:25 PM, crappyice said:

I either throw them in the trunk (Chevy equinox-hate this f’ing car!) or use a rack. Rack is annoying because it folds up and blocks the access.
I hang any deer right in my backyard(no suitable trees in the front) in Westchester county (20 min from Manhattan and loaded with bleeding heart libs). More times than not I will have neighbors curious and it gives me an opportunity to educate the antis.

Had a terrain and was the worst car we owned. Have a traverse now, greatest car we have owned.

• 3 weeks later...
I’ve been flipped the middle finger quite a few times when cars notice the deer on the carrier. But also have received thumbs up quite a few times.  Only 3 more fingers on that hand to see default_rolleyes.gif

Yeah, I’m sure it was because of the deer that they flipped you off!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I’ve been flipped the middle finger quite a few times when cars notice the deer on the carrier. But also have received thumbs up quite a few times.  Only 3 more fingers on that hand to see :rolleyes:

No no no turkefeathers, they are saying you’re  number one .......

• Like 2

Never carry a deer on your back, it looks like a live animal to other hunters and its real easy for the ticks to get onto you.  Always keep the deer on the outside of the car or truck and never cover up your game. 

Use permethrin!  My buddy sprays the entire interior of the truck and we have to change at the hunting location before and after hunting so all clothes are in a sealed bag.  Don't risk your health its worth the 50$ for a season! 

24 Ounce Clothing Insect Repellent

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I use to own a Nissan  xterra and one opening day my 2 uncles shot bucks 5 minutes apart on opening day. So the next day (Sunday) I had to come back from the cabin for work so I put the seats down laid a tarp down and put them in. I couldn't get the smell of dead deer out of the damn truck. The smell just got worse a couple months later so I traded it in for a pickup. But my first car was a 89 Buick Regal and I got my first buck in 99 as a 18 year old know it all and I was so proud of that deer! My old man helped me tie it down to the trunk and I paraded that boy all over buffalo.

• Like 1