Dicks, F&S removing sensitive products

mowin

17 hours ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

None of the big box stores account for much in gun sales overall .

According Southwick’s research, 12 percent of modern sporting rifles, like the AR-15, are purchased from outdoor specialty retailers. Traditional rifles, or hunting rifles, are purchased from such stores 22.7 percent of the time, according to 2017 data. A majority of gun sales take place at mom and pop stores. A smaller number of sales happen at gun shows, according to Southwick's.

People miss the big picture. Them giving in to pressure will not gain them any new sales of soccer cleats in the fall. The mom on facebook that says she will buy from them now is full of shit and will still go to walmart or amazon like she did before. But what it did do was piss off a bunch of outdoorsmans. So maybe we're not the majority of their sales or even close, brick and mortar stores can't afford to lose any retail shoppers. Hell, toys r us is closing and they're basically all anyone used to go to for toys.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Walmart as the largest retailer in the US is making a legislative push by saying this.  They even reference "we go above and beyond federal law" in statement. https://news.walmart.com/2018/02/28/walmart-statement

I agree with you here.  But just seems a lot of people are eviscerating Dicks and don't say a word to their buddy walmart cause we all like and use Walmart.  Dicks is an easier target cause honestly we dont use them as much.  And the NRA agrees. The suit they filed was against the 21 age.  

Again all a moot point in the next 60days I am sure.  Be hopeful thats all that enacted in legislation is a 21 restriction.  

Actually the age restriction has NOT been included in the bill that they presented at the federal level. Unless its something passed my an individual state, its not going anywhere.

16 hours ago, mowin said:

Well, I was at the store last week.  Not a single 223.  Didn't ask why.   Now maybe it's a regional thing. Latham is next to Albany. 

Might have to swing by later in the week to check things out. Could be they decided to put the 223 back on the shelves, as they sell 223 bolt action rifles

could be they sold out after the bunker guys came out fearing for a ban.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Actually the age restriction has NOT been included in the bill that they presented at the federal level. Unless its something passed my an individual state, its not going anywhere.

right - agreed - I meant the Florida leg- only one introduced at this point I believe.  And NRA reacted to it.  Feds and trump just been talking about it, and seems Trump has backed off some.  Andy is still drooling over it I am sure.  Would be shocked if NY isnt the next to push it through in the next 60 days.   Lets hope it doesnt 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Doewhacker said:

Plus who cares he hasn’t been president for a long time and the current administration is a greater threat to 2a that Obama ever was. 

That’s a pretty common thought lately  of many hard line , no compromise gun guys . It does certainly look like we’re going to loose more under Trump, then Obummer .

Itll be interesting to,see the NRA board vote as well, as there is another , although smaller revolt brewing .

Belo , I’m not sure if I’m one “not seeing the big picture “lol. My post was to show that none of the big boxes are major gun movers , as some seem to,think . The biggest accounts for like 4%  of gun sales .

• Like 1

Called F&S in Latham this morning talked to a guy named Mike, said they have plenty of .223 ammo. Then I called the Dicks in Crossgates Mall and asked a guy named Bob the same question, he said they have a lot of different .223 ammo. Both stores stated having the "small boxes" ( 20 rounds ), and the "big boxes".

Now, being realistic, one would think the Crossgates Dicks would be first in line to not sell specific ammo, it's a mall store! Not to add to facts, but, they also had a shooting scare in that mall about a year ago.

As for the 21 years old to buy certain rifles, already what, two maybe three threads on that. The OP was referring to certain stores not carrying ammo or clothing. So, I have no comment about that on this thread.

On 3/11/2018 at 10:10 AM, mowin said:

Buddy of mine was in F&S in Latham the last week.  

Two of the workers in the gun department were complaining about memos they received and were in the process of completing. 

Removing all .223-5.56 ammo from the shelves. And removing all 511 apparel INCLUDING American flag patches because they may be concerned offencive.  

I went in the store yesterday, and verified that in fact the ammo was removed and no longer available. Asked where the American patches were. The answer I received was they are no longer carried because of lack of sales. The only 511 stuff I can find was belts. 

Really disappointed in this company. 

Question for mowin. Your profile says you are from New Lebanon. Is that up to date?

You sure drive a long way to visit the F&S in Latham.

wtf2.jpg

10 hours ago, Rob... said:

Question for mowin. Your profile says you are from New Lebanon. Is that up to date?

You sure drive a long way to visit the F&S in Latham.

wtf2.jpg

Yes.  Still in new Lebanon.   Only a 35-40 min drive.   Lived out here long enough that 25 min to a supermarket is like a drive around the block.  Lol

10 hours ago, Rob... said:

You sure drive a long way to visit the F&S in Latham

I live off the beaten path a bit myself, have made many a trip to Bass Pro in Auburn that would equal Mowin's drive to Latham. "Runnings" in Rome is now my new favorite outdoor store just under 20 miles or so but I still take a ride to Auburn once a year just for fun.

Al

• Like 2

1 minute ago, airedale said:

I live off the beaten path a bit myself, have made many a trip to Bass Pro in Auburn that would equal Mowin's drive to Latham. "Runnings" in Rome is now my new favorite outdoor store just under 20 miles or so but I still take a ride to Auburn once a year just for fun.

Al

agree that is a nice store - was there 2 weeks ago.  Prices are better than bass pro too.  Was at bass pro Utica last weekend - $8.79 for a package of Senkos... thats nuts . 

• Like 3

agree that is a nice store - was there 2 weeks ago.  Prices are better than bass pro too.  Was at bass pro Utica last weekend - $8.79 for a package of Senkos... thats nuts . 

You can get knock off senkos in bulk online. eBay usually has lots of them. Me and my buddies started buying the bulk packs a couple years ago and they work just as well as those $8-9 packs. We burn through senkos like crazy so the bulk packs were the only way to go for us. Love those dang things
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, airedale said:

Al

I live off the beaten path as well, its a 30 min drive just to F&S or Dicks but I used to go quite a bit. I too do a 35-40 min drive to BPS in Auburn. Its 25 mins to the nearest mall from my place. Im not sure what ...Rob's point was.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

That’s a pretty common thought lately  of many hard line , no compromise gun guys . It does certainly look like we’re going to loose more under Trump, then Obummer .

Itll be interesting to,see the NRA board vote as well, as there is another , although smaller revolt brewing .

Belo , I’m not sure if I’m one “not seeing the big picture “lol. My post was to show that none of the big boxes are major gun movers , as some seem to,think . The biggest accounts for like 4%  of gun sales .

what i was trying to say is that some brush off dicks move because they're not a major player. I'm saying that it'll hurt their overall sales. Kind of like walmart where you go in to get something and end up with a new camping stove.

As far as a revolt... that's what we need, splintering! worked so well for the dems with bernie I can't see how it wouldn't lead to a dem in the office if the right did the same. Havne't learned from the tea party I guess.

4 minutes ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

You can get knock off senkos in bulk online. eBay usually has lots of them. Me and my buddies started buying the bulk packs a couple years ago and they work just as well as those $8-9 packs. We burn through senkos like crazy so the bulk packs were the only way to go for us. Love those dang things

they are def the best bass lure for me.  Always have one rod rigged up for senkos all season.  Yeah I buy the knock offs too.  Have to at that price.  And i like the 4" better.  Easier to skip under brush and docks.  A good day of bassin might go thru a few bags of them. 

canal bass.jpg

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Robhuntandfish said:

they are def the best bass lure for me.  Always have one rod rigged up for senkos all season.  Yeah I buy the knock offs too.  Have to at that price.  And i like the 4" better.  Easier to skip under brush and docks.  A good day of bassin might go thru a few bags of them. 

canal bass.jpg

Try getting rid of that snap swivel and wacky rig them using these hooks. Youll only find them at Walmart, and they are cheap. You can do the same thing with a creature. You can thank me later...

Capture.JPG

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Try getting rid of that snap swivel and wacky rig them using these hooks. Youll only find them at Walmart, and they are cheap. You can do the same thing with a creature. You can thank me later...

Capture.JPG

i run some wacky but always go weightless i do more often run texas cause it seems to go thru weeds better.  Can skip them like a stone!  lol 

I dont always go with a swivel esp in really grassy spots.  Dunno why i had one on this day. 

2 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

i run some wacky but always go weightless i do more often run texas cause it seems to go thru weeds better.  Can skip them like a stone!  lol 

I dont always go with a swivel esp in really grassy spots.  Dunno why i had one on this day. 

Trust me, you can skip them with those hooks all day long. When my buddy and I fish, even in tournaments, all we do is skip these under docks. The small amount of weight gives them a really neat action as well. Just cast it, alet it drop for a few seconds with your rod tip down, then pull up on your tip a foot or two, reel a bit and let it drop again. Kind of like fishing a jig but very slow. Be ready to set the hook on the drop. Once you figure out what color they like, youll be hammering them like crazy.

I shouldnt be posting this....lol

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Trust me, you can skip them with those hooks all day long. When my buddy and I fish, even in tournaments, all we do is skip these under docks. The small amount of weight gives them a really neat action as well. Just cast it, alet it drop for a few seconds with your rod tip down, then pull up on your tip a foot or two, reel a bit and let it drop again. Kind of like fishing a jig but very slow. Be ready to set the hook on the drop. Once you figure out what color they like, youll be hammering them like crazy.

I shouldnt be posting this....lol

i will def give it a try .  I have those same hooks i use for speed craws.  I do use wacky style but usually in more open water and smallies. - thanks !  i promise not to give out your secret- lol 

heres one in return..... try a 3" senko on a floating jighead for smallies .  I like a chartruese color with a pumpkin senko.   

• Like 2

Ill have to give that a shot. Love some smallie action.

Heres a few pics from a spring day, I wont say when or where, but these are just the big ones we caught in the first 45 mins of being on the lake, in the same cove, all but one on wacky rigged Senkos, and one on a Senko that I had rigged kind of a Texas/wacky combo just to see what would happen. There were many smaller ones other than these as well.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

• Like 3

Earning report stunk, same store sales down 2% and revenue down.  No plans to open any new F&S stores in '18.  Stock gapped down over 5% at the open.  Maybe they'll get a question about pulling AR's and raising the age to 21 on their earnings call at 10 am, but it seems irrelevant.  I stand by my earlier assessment: pandering publicity stunt to distract from their lousy financial situation.

Dick's has performance issues

• Like 2