How much Land do you own ?

My wife, The Lovely Mermaid, owns 107 acres and allows me to hunt it and also  pay half the property taxes on it....

It is surrounded by several hundred acres of mostly forested land...Judging by the gunfire I hear during deer season, the neighbors all hunt..I don't know or care care what they shoot, because it is none of my business...

I  have lived in the area all of my life and also have access to several hundred acres of private land that  I have permission to hunt, but since I have become a doddering old man I spend most of my time sitting in my heated tower blind overlooking my food plots, wondering why I am sitting there waiting for some silly ass deer when I could be doing something fun, like hunting small game, upland birds and waterfowl, or fishing...

• Like 8

9 hours ago, Pygmy said:

My wife, The Lovely Mermaid, owns 107 acres and allows me to hunt it and also  pay half the property taxes on it....

It is surrounded by several hundred acres of mostly forested land...Judging by the gunfire I hear during deer season, the neighbors all hunt..I don't know or care care what they shoot, because it is none of my business...

I  have lived in the area all of my life and also have access to several hundred acres of private land that  I have permission to hunt, but since I have become a doddering old man I spend most of my time sitting in my heated tower blind overlooking my food plots, wondering why I am sitting there waiting for some silly ass deer when I could be doing something fun, like hunting small game, upland birds and waterfowl, or fishing...

So if you find that your heated tower is in need of someone to fill the vacancy....I’m open. Just sayin

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, G-Man said:

I live where i do so I could ownland and drive 80 miles to work.. anything is possible, you just need to decide what is important to you. 2 min to Walmart or work or walk out your door and hunt..

Even at 80 miles from where Bill lives you'd be paying a small fortune for 50 acres.  And let's not even talk about the taxes you'd be sending to Cuomo.   You'd be able to go on a guided  hunt each year on the taxes you'd be paying alone.  To each their own obviously, but buying land for hunting alone isn't exactly a great investment for most people.

On 9/19/2020 at 11:17 AM, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I’d love to come scout with you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Maybe we can someday, still doing a ton of upgrades up there, I actually just got back from the cabin.  Rented an excavator, and did a boatload up there.  Funny you quoted this post of mine, I got a nice pairs of bucks together, and one looks like he has a drop/kicker tine off the main beam! Hes a beautiful 9.  This year has been the best year ever for card pulls for me.  It’s half the fun for me, but I still hope to connect.  

Edited by Bionic
  • Like 3

Maybe we can someday, still doing a ton of upgrades up there, I actually just got back from the cabin.  Rented an excavator, and did a boatload up there.  Funny you quoted this post of mine, I got a nice pairs of bucks together, and one looks like he has a drop/kicker tine off the main beam! Hes a beautiful 9.  This year has been the best year ever for card pulls for me.  It’s half the fun for me, but I still hope to connect.  

Awesome! Luck you. Worst year for me so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

I am actually starting to look around for property to build a home on or buy a piece that has one. I want to move into a single level home in case I never get paroled from NY..lol. The land prices within commute to Rochester are crazy right now. Undeveloped land in the $15,000 to $20,000 an acre range. SO if anyone gets a lead let me know. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I am actually starting to look around for property to build a home on or buy a piece that has one. I want to move into a single level home in case I never get paroled from NY..lol. The land prices within commute to Rochester are crazy right now. Undeveloped land in the $15,000 to $20,000 an acre range. SO if anyone gets a lead let me know. 

I have  105 wooded acres we are looking to sell for $850/acre.  A long commute to Rochester from St Lawrence county though.  ;)

• Like 2

30 acres next mountain top from Swain ski center.  Borders 1300 acres State forest plus buddy owns 25 acres next to me. Has three pond which I've stocked with fish,  big boy aquarium .  Two creeks, one stream and springs all over the place.  Mostly hardwoods but I do have a large string of pines planted during CCC days.    

It took me forever to find place because my maximum distance from Rochester could be over an hour commute as I'm I call 24/7.  Started with weekender cabin but my property surrounded a very nice log home.   Financially NY has to be one of the stupidest places to retire but all our friends and family are here.  We ended up buying log home and that's where I will spend my final days.  Smart move as I could (but won't) sell it for double what I paid

Log home has come in handy as my wife has been living there since March.  She can do her job no issue remotely.  I did get DSL run to cabin.  A whooping 6mbps but it works.  I've been essential since beginning of pandemic.  We make a unique optic that used in analyzers to detect and fight virus.  I'm the facilities engineer and manager.  I live in city house five days a week and see her and the dogs on weekends. 

People ask me if my wife is afraid being alone that deep in woods.  Let's see, she got the dogs, she's a redhead and she's armed to the teeth.  Anyone messes with that holy trinity is going to regret it.  

I've yet to start managing the land very little of it is open field.  I did clear an area to put up a pole barn and that almost killed me.  I had to drop 30 trees that were more than 30 feet tall.  Donated a little piece of my thumb to project.  I do plant DEC trees and bushes to add varieties and flowers for birds.

Deer, turkey, fox everywhere.  And those dam ruffle grouse screw me up every time.  They almost let you step on them before they pop up.  We have Battle Royale hummingbirds at feeders half the year.

When I'm at this property, nothing bothers me.  I retire in a month and a half.  The woods has always been my escape and church.  Grew up a suburb kid that backpacked every chance I got.

Edited by hueyjazz
  • Like 9

6 hours ago, GreeneHunter said:

Miss Montana yet ?

I'll always miss Montana,  i wont miss haveing to look  over my shoulder after,shooting an elk or deer  hopeing a grizzly isn't comeing to check out what's for dinner  ( in certain areas,of Montana,they learn shots mean food)  but I'll go back every year for 2weeks to hunt with friends and family that live there 

• Like 1

95 acres... live on the property. Have access to another 75 and another 15 a short ways away this year both less than a mile as the crow flies or the deer move.   The 75 is separated from my 95 by another tract of leased land. Many of my neighbors, not all are selective at least if not practice qdma. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, luberhill said:

Are u serious ? Send me a pm with details 

If you go up that way to check it out, Last Sunday, I noticed a "for sale by owner" sign on 90 some acres in the town of Defferiet, on rt 3A, near rt 3.  That is right on the edge of Ft Drum.

The deer population is not too bad in the area.  It looks like wooded,  slight hilly to flat property, and is about 20 minutes from exit 48 on rt 81.  There was a phone number on the sign, but I have no idea what they were asking.  

On 9/20/2020 at 9:33 AM, steve863 said:

Even at 80 miles from where Bill lives you'd be paying a small fortune for 50 acres.  And let's not even talk about the taxes you'd be sending to Cuomo.   You'd be able to go on a guided  hunt each year on the taxes you'd be paying alone.  To each their own obviously, but buying land for hunting alone isn't exactly a great investment for most people.

That’s why I shared this link a few months ago. There is some affordable land in central New York. 

25 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

If you go up that way to check it out, Last Sunday, I noticed a "for sale by owner" sign on 90 some acres in the town of Defferiet, on rt 3A, near rt 3.  That is right on the edge of Ft Drum.

The deer population is not too bad in the area.  It looks like wooded,  slight hilly to flat property, and is about 20 minutes from exit 48 on rt 81.  There was a phone number on the sign, but I have no idea what they were asking.  

Kinda an iffy area. Drum is totally fenced in that area.  Our farm is prob 5 miles from there as the crow flies but our 900 acres is directly across from the non fenced area of Drum. It keeps the woods and waters well stocked year around.  Add in the 500 acres of corn and beans and it turns itself into sweetness. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...