How much Land do you own ?

6 hours ago, E J said:

I own 89 currently. I bought my house with 54 of mostly brush, woods and a little swamp. I cleared out a couple acres for plots. Then added 35 last year that is next to it. That piece is mostly open ag field with a little more brushy woods along one side of it. I hold a good doe population but the does keep the bucks out most of the year. I rarely have bucks on camera except during October, November and December. But during that time frame I get quite a few good bucks moving through and hanging out. My neighbors across the road get mostly bucks all year long on their cameras but not hardly any does.

That is fine . I have similar scenario. Bucks move in and off neighbors fields and head for cover Sept Oct Nov dec.. it's to the point I don't bother with a camera in July or August and early.sept.. no point.. the bucks will show up..

• Like 2

13 acres with about 4 acres dedicated to the house and yard.  The rest is wooded with a creek running through it and a decent sized pond.  Good neighbors to my east and west, neighbor to the north not so much but we keep it civil, although at least I seem to get along with him better than everyone else around the area...LOL.  Do most of my hunting walking out my back door but my cousin also has a camp on Italy Hill in the southern tier.  Do some hunting up there on his property and the state land down the road.

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 8:20 PM, John R said:

What’s a good number of acreage for deer management?

I don't manage the deer. They have been doing that themselves for centuries, and the DEC takes care of making sure we don't hunt them out of existence. So all I need is enough land to hunt on (about 40 acres). And the state adds a bunch onto that too.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Doc said:

I don't manage the deer. They have been doing that themselves for centuries, and the DEC takes care of making sure we don't hunt them out of existence. So all I need is enough land to hunt on (about 40 acres). And the state adds a bunch onto that too.

it's my opinion that most deer are taken by the same small portion of hunters every year. they set a limit under what tags they have access to. DEC relies heavily on people being creatures of habit with some self control.  DEC is effectively managing deer for numbers sure but i look at it much more as loosely monitoring the population. while many who work within the big game unit of DEC do hunt they aren't the ones pulling the trigger, we are.

• Like 1

25 acres in Delaware County of mixed hardwood, two ponds, a ridge, thick blackberries and four cabins. Hunt, physical work, chill.

7.5 acres of waterfront in NS of rock, pine and blueberries. No structure. Chill and watch whales.

2000 sq ft in NYC with 800 sq ft roof deck with mixed grasses, pines and cypress. Work, work, some chill.

5 at home, with sole permission to 70 ish acres connected out back.  Upstate we have a cabin as well with 21, also with permission to infringe a bit.  I am horrible at figuring out deer, clueless how they use any of my land really.  Not going to lie.  All big woods.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Unless you have a thousand acres the most important thing is neighbors......   You could have the greatest piece of land but what is the point when you have dips--- poachers on each side of you shoooting every 1.5 year old buck they see.

I have 20 acre piece property's that were great really thick that the big bucks loved and I had 200 acre property's that were just rolling timber no bedding areas that were not great....

• 2 years later...
2 hours ago, blackbeltbill said:

I enjoyed reading this Thread again.    A Dollar And A Dream and I would own my own land.

I do have a Spot that, I have not Fall Turkey Hunted for a few years on State Land that connects to Private Land. A old Woodsroad runs through both areas.

That is my plan " B" for this Fall if my Dusting Bowl area fails to produce a Big Bird.

I simply set up a good 70 yards from the Border and line of Posted Signs and Try to call a Bird to my Side. This has worked Twice before for me.

I dont understand why you cant buy land if your paying rent or own/buying a house  you can buy land , or buy a house with land.. my one friend always said that and pays 1200 a month rent.. I told him that's a house morgage payment with 50 acres..

27 minutes ago, G-Man said:

I dont understand why you cant buy land if your paying rent or own/buying a house  you can buy land , or buy a house with land.. my one friend always said that and pays 1200 a month rent.. I told him that's a house morgage payment with 50 acres..

50 acres where Bill lives will cost you more than 300 acres where you are.  No comparison.

• Like 2

I have 50’ x 150’ lot where my house sits and would LOVE to pay $1200 a month!!!!! The 6 hour commute to work and family and to good bagels/pizza is just over my threshold.
“Stay out of other people’s pockets” is one of my fathers greatest teaching points

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I own 70 acres. It's a beautiful piece of property. I lease 20 acres to a farmer and he keeps it planted every year. I have food plots, hardwoods, pine forest and a stream. I have three neighbors who I'm super friendly with. Each one owns more than 200 acres and the one that I mostly border is 450 acres. Only 5 people hunt that property so not a lot of pressure. It's real nice. They practice management as I do also. We get some real nice ones every year. 

• Like 4

For the last five years I've been the caretaker on a roughly 700 acres. It's located in a antler restricted section of the state and DMP are very tough to come by.  It's 75% hardwoods that have been managed for over 30 years. Within the last two years I've worked to add about 12 acres of food plots with 8 or those acres being perennial clovers/chicory. The other 4 I've rotated oats, brassicas and peas and beans. I've been learning on the fly and that includes reading and absorbing as much QDMA articles and information that I can. These forums have been a big help as well. 

The property has sections that I have never entered since assuming my role so there is sanctuary. We've got several freshwater sources including 16 acre pond and a few smaller watering holes. I've employed vertical licking sticks and mock scrapes to learn the movement patterns. Slowly but surely I think I've finally gotten on handle on where we should be most successful in harvesting a mature buck. 

I've finally seen started to see improvements in the herd and on any given night earlier this summer could count 30+ deer in the perennial plots. I plan to get my first deer steward certification this winter after the season and would be interested in talking with anyone who practices QDMA and is a member to ensure I'm on the right path.

The thing that makes what I'm doing tough is being surrounded by other large properties whose owners and guests don't care much for QDMA or the laws for that matter. I'm hoping that through  my efforts those folks might come around and help, rather than hinder the cause. 

• Like 1

5 at home, with sole permission to 70 ish acres connected out back.  Upstate we have a cabin as well with 21, also with permission to infringe a bit.  I am horrible at figuring out deer, clueless how they use any of my land really.  Not going to lie.  All big woods.

I’d love to come scout with you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

I own 48 acres and it’s right out my backdoor.  I have another 80 acres that is also family farm but really haven’t hunted it much in past 5 yrs.  I have several clients that have offered permission to hunt their properties and occasionally I do.  But for the most part 95% of the time I hunt my own.  Pretty good habitat mix of field and woods part Used to be an old Christmas tree farm and part of it was in abandon dairy farm.  Small creek runs through it soil is really good and neighbors are not big Deerhunters only a few and picky like me.  I have a couple different bedding sanctuary areas plenty of food and light to moderate pressure.  I call it the zoo 

• Like 2

On 3/12/2018 at 6:46 PM, G-Man said:

That is fine . I have similar scenario. Bucks move in and off neighbors fields and head for cover Sept Oct Nov dec.. it's to the point I don't bother with a camera in July or August and early.sept.. no point.. the bucks will show up..

That's my experience, while in velvet, the bucks are in the open... be it field or mature woods, once they start to rub it's heavy brush. Makes me a total believer of different buck movement theories like buck vacuums.

6 hours ago, steve863 said:

50 acres where Bill lives will cost you more than 300 acres where you are.  No comparison.

I live where i do so I could ownland and drive 80 miles to work.. anything is possible, you just need to decide what is important to you. 2 min to Walmart or work or walk out your door and hunt..

• Like 1