Live From The Water 2018 Edition!

WNYBuckHunter

A few from yesterday...All in all a good afternoon on the water. Ended up getting 7 largemouth and a pike into the kayak! They were hammering spinner baits and Strike King swimbaits.  Lost 3 that spit the hook by the kayak and another break my line by the kayak.

36475424_2216939535001341_2813647489519845376_n.jpg

36496798_2216939011668060_2700682440816459776_n.jpg

36423164_2216939471668014_2712860571476164608_n.jpg

36429708_2216939311668030_6712507857528422400_n.jpg

• Like 4

Another morning out of cape cod, we kept 50 haddock and a cod, threw back untold amounts of Pollock. Ended up in the middle of 100 humpback whales, so close it was nerve racking, they would blow at the surface and get us wet, kept full breaching etc... I'll post up some pictures when I get home and edit them. A ridiculous day and one none of us will ever forget. IMG_20180701_131016133.jpeg

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, chrisw said:

Another morning out of cape cod, we kept 50 haddock and a cod, threw back untold amounts of Pollock. Ended up in the middle of 100 humpback whales, so close it was nerve racking, they would blow at the surface and get us wet, kept full breaching etc... I'll post up some pictures when I get home and edit them. A ridiculous day and one none of us will ever forget. IMG_20180701_131016133.jpeg

Did you take a charter or this your rig?Damn impressive take for sure.  Jigging?

Did you take a charter or this your rig?Damn impressive take for sure.  Jigging?
We use my buddy's friend who's ran a charter out of Mass. And Costa Rica for 40 years. He certainly knows his fish. Yea we both jigged and bait rigs with clams. The fishing got so crazy at one point we were dropping 2 bare hook rigs and you couldn't get it to bottom and you'd have two Pollack at a time. We left because we were physically exhausted from them. I'd estate we have around 350-400 lbs of fillets.

• Like 3

Fresh caught cod and haddock are SO much better tasting than store bought...Pollock ain't too bad either..

last time I fished out of MASS, they had pretty much shut down sport fishing for cod..Have things changed ?

Fresh caught cod and haddock are SO much better tasting than store bought...Pollock ain't too bad either..
last time I fished out of MASS, they had pretty much shut down sport fishing for cod..Have things changed ?
I think they lowered the bag limits but they have to be 24" to keep currently, we didn't get a ton of them but the ones we did get were all over 24" up to 12 lbs.

• Like 1

Went out with my cousin and his nephews. 2 boys age 7 and 6. We hooked them they reeled them in. So much fun watching the kids fish, I'd rather that any day than fish myself.  2 eyes and silverbass off planerboard, 1 eye off dipsy. Lake erie/60ft.

20180702_101012.jpg

• Like 3

Went out with my cousin and his nephews. 2 boys age 7 and 6. We hooked them they reeled them in. So much fun watching the kids fish, I'd rather that any day than fish myself.  2 eyes and silverbass off planerboard, 1 eye off dipsy. Lake erie/60ft.

1 hour ago, chrisw said:

This is what 45 gallon size bags of haddock, cod and Pollack fillets looks like... IMG_20180702_143945250_HDR.jpeg

No vacuum sealer ?  We had a mix of vacuum-sealed bass that had been frozen for a week and 10 months for dinner last night.  You could not tell which was which and it all tasted fresh caught.   The only pain with the vacuum sealer is that it works best to dry the fillets good prior to sealing.  Squeezing them in paper towels works good for that.   The sealer instructions say to freeze first, then vacuum, but that traps air pockets and the paper towel squeeze works much better.   Most of our family's protein comes from "free" vacuum-sealed, NY state venison and fish.   I bet the folks up in Alaska have a tougher time living a subsistance lifestyle than those of us who are "stuck" here in NY.   Are you going to eat all that yourself ?   

No vacuum sealer ?  We had a mix of vacuum-sealed bass that had been frozen for a week and 10 months for dinner last night.  You could not tell which was which and it all tasted fresh caught.   The only pain with the vacuum sealer is that it works best to dry the fillets good prior to sealing.  Squeezing them in paper towels works good for that.   The sealer instructions say to freeze first, then vacuum, but that traps air pockets and the paper towel squeeze works much better.   Most of our family's protein comes from "free" vacuum-sealed, NY state venison and fish.   I bet the folks up in Alaska have a tougher time living a subsistance lifestyle than those of us who are "stuck" here in NY.   Are you going to eat all that yourself ?   
I have a vacuum sealer but didn't want to spend 3 hours vacuum sealing all of it, and it won't last a year so I'm not too worried about that. These bags were actually how we packed them on the boat to bring home, we've since repacked all of it in smaller portions. 5 of us split the fish up, so roughly 50 lbs per guy is what we ended with. We ate Pollock and haddock for dinner tonight, awesome!

• Like 1

As Wolc points out the vacuum sealers don't work well if there is too much moisture.  I suppose the liquid makes it impossible for the temperature to get hot enough to adequately melt the bag and complete the seal.  The way we deal with this is to cut strips of paper towels to fit at the top of the bag, above the fish but placed below the line of seal.  When the vacuum process begins the moisture is absorbed by the paper towel and it makes a good seal.

jperch

I got word from my sister that my younger brother had a fire on his boat this past Sat. I was told it was due to some mechanical issue and that everyone got off the boat safely suffered miner burns i believe. Boat was a 1989 20f.t and they used it quite often but it was total loss. They were out on Canandagua Lake. If anyone saw a rise of black smoke, that was him, 

20180702_182834 (1).jpg

20180702_182750.jpg

• Sad 1

I got word from my sister that my younger brother had a fire on his boat this past Sat. I was told it was due to some mechanical issue and that everyone got off the boat safely suffered miner burns i believe. Boat was a 1989 20f.t and they used it quite often but it was total loss. They were out on Canandagua Lake. If anyone saw a rise of black smoke, that was him, 
5b3ad83d56df3_20180702_182834(1).thumb.jpg.3bf4c878654bf02b2ffd0a49bbb1b97a.jpg
20180702_182750.thumb.jpg.9e124cd1ab79182a30c04eff4034e964.jpg

Scary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk