Live From The Water 2018 Edition!

WNYBuckHunter

TreeGuy, AWESOME FISH!  Where out of Ontario did you go?
Last summer we went out of Mexico and did well, hoping to go again before Labor Day.
Olcott. I have three ports I have been going. Niagara River, Wilson and Olcott

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I’ll write you a drs excuse , print it and hand it you your boss  the following day :pleasantry:  I got your back 

Will you also write me up a reference for my resume ...... Cause i would need it.  

Thanks buddy.  Lol

I do have a lotto ticket though......I don't know that it's not a winner......

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

looks like you have some competition Jay over Sheepshead champion!  

When i was writing this i just realized I havent caught a single one out of Oneida yet this year.  Def odd - usually catch a few, fun fight. 

You just jinxed the heck out of that   Enjoy your boatload of drum 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Can't get away from em. Staying at jelly stone this weekend and hit the pond. We caught a bunch of nice little bucket mouths. Love that my son would scream FISH ON every hit. I do believe we made some enemies at the crowded pond.... Ah wellc2a52b6382665b18c82947be4f92881e.jpg

• Like 11

So it seems walleye are the target of choice.  I have to ask, since they apparently are not good fights (caveat I have never caught one), why target them?  I assume its to eat.  We catch and release almost all of our fish, but I fish to enjoy the fight, not for the food.  Hence my love of salmon fishing - they are brawlers and can literally exhaust you bringing one in.  Maybe I would think differently if I loved the taste of fish.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

So it seems walleye are the target of choice.  I have to ask, since they apparently are not good fights (caveat I have never caught one), why target them?  I assume its to eat.  We catch and release almost all of our fish, but I fish to enjoy the fight, not for the food.  Hence my love of salmon fishing - they are brawlers and can literally exhaust you bringing one in.  Maybe I would think differently if I loved the taste of fish.

I'm with ya moog. I'm in it more for the fight, than the filets too. 

Most of the fish that do go in my freezer, are caught from beneath the ice.

But seeing some of those really nice "eyes"  that a few of the members here are reeling in. Makes me think FISH FRY!!!

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

most of the walleyes i get i am fishing light action tackle on 6lb test and not trolling so that makes the fight a bit better as well.  But yes they are the best eating fish there is. most of the ones i get are between 3-5 pounds.  Even a huge one is 8-10 pounds.  Cant compete with a drag screaming 20lb king for sure. Thats a whole different zip code.     They wont even fight as much as a 3-5 lb smallmouth but for table fare they are great and on lite line put up a bit of a fight.  I would compare them to lake trout some as for fighting.  

plus I live on Oneida so in 5 minutes i am on the water and my boat is much more geared for this type of fishing than being on the big great lakes.  I have been thinking to do some trout fishing on some of the finger lakes next spring though.   

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

most of the walleyes i get i am fishing light action tackle on 6lb test so the fight is a bit better as well.  But yes they are the best eating fish there is. most of the ones i get are between 3-5 pounds.  Even a huge one is 8-10 pounds.  Cant compete with a drag screaming 20lb king for sure. Thats a whole different zip code.     They wont even fight as much as a 3-5 lb smallmouth but for table fare they are great and on lite line put up a bit of a fight.  I would compare them to lake trout some as for fighting.  

Gotcha - we catch some big lakers in the 10-20lb range fairly regularly - they still offer a decent fight but more like a heavy log than ripping (salmon) and/or shaking (steelies).  Still fun and are the go to when we can't seem to find salmon or when we want a lot of action as they tend to be easy to catch.  I can see light tackle making the eyes more fun.

• Like 1

Yep all for table fare really. But it is nice to go catch as many as you want with the way fishing has been it's a alit faster paced than salmon. For me it's alot closer as well. Do go chase Lakers often on Erie as well they get giant out there

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Walleye is literally and figuratively reeling in some steaks. I am all about the king's. Not that I don't LIKE fishing eyes, I just LOVE kings. They have heart. Even a 3# "skipper" have more heart and fight than a 10# eye. Moog, you aren't missing anything. Stick to ladyO especially if your not looking to keep. It's funny to me that most walleye surface and just keep there mouth open to enjoy the ride to the cooler.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

Walleye is literally and figuratively reeling in some steaks. I am all about the king's. Not that I don't LIKE fishing eyes, I just LOVE kings. They have heart. Even a 3# "skipper" have more heart and fight than a 10# eye. Moog, you aren't missing anything. Stick to ladyO especially if your not looking to keep. It's funny to me that most walleye surface and just keep there mouth open to enjoy the ride to the cooler.

I have to try walleye again because last time I had them years ago I didn't like them at all. I even cooked some the same day we caught them so they where fresh. 

I have to try walleye again because last time I had them years ago I didn't like them at all. I even cooked some the same day we caught them so they where fresh. 
Walleye is Def a great tasting fish. Fresh or frozen, there is no fishy taste. Or, for guaranteed results, fry em up battered. Next meat run, I'll drop some off.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TreeGuy said:

Walleye is Def a great tasting fish. Fresh or frozen, there is no fishy taste. Or, for guaranteed results, fry em up battered. Next meat run, I'll drop some off.

While that's not necessary I won't turn down the offer either. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Moho81 said:

Walleyes, from lake Erie at least, taste a lot better when they are caught early in the season.  The size of the fish is less important than the time of year they were caught.   I ate a very good flavored 7 pounder this spring.  Later in the summer, when they suspend under the zoo-plankton, the meat takes on an algea-like flavor, that I do not care for.   From about July 1 thru early fall there are lots of better fishing options.   It makes perfect sense that Stone will soon move the boat to Ontario.   If you are going to catch something not worth eating, it might as well put up a good fight like the kings and steelhead out on Ontario do.     

Also, Like Rob said up above, walleyes are a lot more fun taken on light casting tackle than they are on heavier trolling gear.   All that is just side-shows when it comes to fishing.  Only the smallmouth bass has it all, great eating (after you figure out how to care for the meat) and better fight pound per pound than anything that swims.   

Edited by wolc123

Oh. My. Goodness. Just got back from a spur of the moment Ontario run. Got home from jellystone and decided to roll with a friend to chase some kings. Setup and things were slow for about 20 min. Took one shot / miss. Then things got nutty. 2 doubles, a triple and a guesstimate total of 20+ kings in the boat for the night. Coast guard actually came over to ask us if we had saw any boats in distress...while yelling back and forth, yep you guessed it FISH ON. They left and we netted another hefty king. I actually think they stuck around to watch us net the fish. Prob one of the craziest trips yet on Ontario. Basically, we found a pod of feeding fish and ran em over and over. Awesome night. One 21#, couple close behind and the majority was 15-18#. 751e933b72844dbcef76df75a6545aa2.jpg&key=d97ad80367180d809303c004c3fb2a5cf3b224646d725d74ffe97e408956018b

f72cb6fba26cec747745fe5a7b5bd5b2.jpg

• Like 12