Live From The Water 2018 Edition!

WNYBuckHunter

13 hours ago, chrisw said:

Cold day but the fish were willing! Here's the 5 from today. IMG_20190110_113539251.jpegIMG_20190110_120640158_HDR.jpegIMG_20190110_125559643.jpegIMG_20190110_133407407.jpegIMG_20190110_134554236.jpeg

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Are these fish common in the rivers upstate ? You seem to catch them with consistence. I've never caught  trout other then the little stocky one they put in the ponds. 

Are these fish common in the rivers upstate ? You seem to catch them with consistence. I've never caught  trout other then the little stocky one they put in the ponds. 
Yes they are fairly common, Lake Ontario has big numbers of Brown Trout and being in the lake with ample food sources they grow big. A lot of our local streams are all stocked with brown trout as well but they don't get the size of the lake run fish.

• Thanks 1

chris - you fishing the wall along bridge st?  pics look that spot.  nice kipe on those browns.  I used to fish there a lot.  
The last few trips I've done well across from the hotels off of the wall, I don't pay attention to the street names though. It gets very little fishing pressure on that side and there are a few spots that seem to always hold fish. I've done well behind the hotels also at certain water flows.

3 minutes ago, chrisw said:

The last few trips I've done well across from the hotels off of the wall, I don't pay attention to the street names though. It gets very little fishing pressure on that side and there are a few spots that seem to always hold fish. I've done well behind the hotels also at certain water flows.

i went there one time years ago the river was packed with lakers.  Never saw that before. Only prob was they were out of season. We actually ended up leaving cause we were just hooking up with them over and over and were hoping for some browns or bows.  

Nice catches - youve been doing well - My best was a 13.5 pound brown out of there.  Had one that same day that had to be 17lb - did a cartwheel out of the water and tossed my hook in the air!  lol 

i went there one time years ago the river was packed with lakers.  Never saw that before. Only prob was they were out of season. We actually ended up leaving cause we were just hooking up with them over and over and were hoping for some browns or bows.  
Nice catches - youve been doing well - My best was a 13.5 pound brown out of there.  Had one that same day that had to be 17lb - did a cartwheel out of the water and tossed my hook in the air!  lol 
There are a few Lakers in the river still and I've talked to several guys who have had a lot of luck with them but I have yet to hook one in the Oswego river oddly enough. I wish the browns got as big as they used to, I've caught at least 35 browns in the river this winter and nothing over 10-11lbs.

• Like 1

Finally made it back on the ice this morning with a guy from work. It was 3 degrees out at 6:30 and I was only worried about getting my shanty up and the heater lit. I remember recommending some Clam gloves that fit nice and tight and were plenty warm. Well, let me tell you, there is a cut off somewhere between 20 and 3 degrees because my hands were froze dragging my shanty out. It was a beautiful day and 21 when we came off the ice and the gloves kept my hands nice and toasty warm.

The fishing was fast for about an hour and then dropped off to drilling a bunch of holes to keep on some fish. It was a pretty decent day with a mix of nice 8-9 inch bluegills with a few nice crappies mixed in. My buddy just got an electric filet knife, so we kept a pretty big batch of fish. The knife worked perfect and the fish fry was about as fresh as you can get. The forecast looks like my weekends, and even some nights after work are set for awhile.

• Like 3

That's the reason I didn't go to college there.  I would never have made a morning class.  
I hear you, I'm there more than I'm in my own town lately! It's still shocking it gets so little pressure after salmon season, world class trout from shore and I only saw 3 guys all day.

• Like 1

Ain't much for scenery, but the fish are awesome...
How do you land them off that wall ?   Long handled net ??….
Yep, 10' handled net. Scenery isn't too "wild" but I do see several eagles every time cruising low looking for fish and hundreds of ducks flying around so it could be worse!

• Like 1